New Cham Mom, Just want feedback please?

This is my first post here so i'm hoping it's in the right place and not totally ridiculous.
First of all, This place is beyond amazing. So helpful. I'm so grateful.
Anyway, I got my cham a few days ago (Sept, 13, 2018) and I just want to make sure that i'm doing everything I can to give him the best possible care I can.
A little background, I'm a huge animal person and have been raised in the rescue world. Awhile ago, I assisted in the rescue of what I now know was a panther chameleon and I fell in love with these guys. I've been researching and gathering supplies. I finally dove in, and got my first cham from a breeder I looked into. (honestly I think I drove her a little insane for a few months with questions but we're cool now lol)
Here's my care sheet.

Chameleon:
Male, (i'm pretty sure,but let me know what you think please) Veiled, 2 1/2 month old (born in June) I got him on September 13, 2018.
Handling:
I've Handled him everyday, a couple times a day. He was hesitant the first day or two but he's a very curious little guy and actually enjoys coming out now. He crawls right onto my hand now and will eat crickets that i'm holding between two fingers which really surprised me considering all I've read about how anti-social they can be.
Feeding:
The first night he didn't eat anything, I think it was just nerves. The next day though I had him out to rearrange some vines in his enclosure and he ate a house fly right off the window, so I offered him some crickets and he's been eating those now. He eats and average of about 3 or 4 in the morning and then again in the evening but he really doesn't seem interested in any more than that. I've tried a few different methods but nothing seems to work. Yesterday I ordered some small dubias that should be coming in the next couple days and my boyfriend is bringing home some small superworms so maybe those will spike his appetite. Is it normal, or should I be more concerned?
Supplements:
I have been dusting his crickets with calcium without d3 everyday just in the morning. I've ordered the reptivite with d3 and its shipped, and then i'll begin doing that twice a month. What multivitamin should I get? I see so many different things. Its hard to narrow down. Also, I gut-load his crickets, so far, I've used romaine lettuce and carrots because it's what I had on hand but, but grocery shopping tomorrow:)
Watering:
I have a hand reptile mister and I've been misting 2-3 times a day for about 3-5 minutes. I've been using slightly warmer than room temp water because he seems to accept it more. He's not a fan of misting at all. he runs for cover every time, but I do see him licking his lips. I haven't seen him drink off a leaf yet. He seems to avoid the wet things all together if he can. I got a dropper to try that but he's very afraid of that, puffs up and gets all spotty at it. lol. I'm hoping this hate of misting will pass.
Fecal:
It appears to be regular consistency, with the white section.
History:
Nothing that I know of that I haven't already mentioned.

Cage Type:
It's a screen ReptiBreez, the 16,16,30, I believe. My boyfriend and I have started our planning for a DIY cage though. So he'll have an upgrade in not too long.
Cage Light:
Currently I have a double dome with just the one side turned on. The breeder told me he wont need a basking light yet, so I'm just using a UVA UVB bulb I got, it's a 50 watt, and I cant remember the UVB number. Its a brand called Boshi? I also have a bulb that's ZooMed but its the tube type not bulb type. like tube bulb. I'm pretty sure I read those were bad for their eyes? But it's a 5.0 UVB. Let me know what I should do there. I'm working on getting the better UVB bar light but for now I need help knowing what bulb to get for this dome setup.
Temperature:
His basking spot varies during the day from around 78F-85F and his lowest spot is 67F-72F. At nighttime it stays between 60F-66F. His day temp varies so much do to whether or not the ceiling fan is on or not. (probably true at night as well however I haven't had it on yet with him here yet for fear of him getting too cold.) There's also a window in the room that affects the temperature. Its on the opposite side of the room, but if the curtains are open it does up the room temp a few degrees in general.
Humidity:
This is where my crazy preparation and planning failed. :( I don't have a humidity thermometer yet but I've ordered one and its shipped. (cham mom shame) I will update humidity levels when I get my package. It was estimated for Friday I believe.
Plants:
He's got a live Pothos right now, and I have two smaller starts that I'm growing for when I upgrade his house. I've been reading the plant list and i'm going plant shopping this weekend.
Placement:
It's in our bedroom, on the opposite wall of the window. Its sitting on a sturdy desk about 4 1/2 feet of the ground. Our room is about 18 feet by 12 feet. There's a ceiling fan a turn on during the day if it gets too warm but other than that it stays off. The AC vent is in the opposite corner of where his enclosure is and we keep is closed because its above our bed. My Boyfriend and I are the only traffic in the room, other than our two cats, but they don't bother him.

Another question is as he's been exploring his new house he crawls along the walls and top of his cage, and rubs his head on the top a lot. his head has gotten a littler darker I think, but i'm not sure if i'm imagining it or not. I've rearranged vines to try and keep him from rubbing but nothing has really helped, any advise there?

I just want any feedback, or tips, or advise. I'm so in love with him and I want to take the best care of him I can. Sorry for the novel length post. Also, his name is Armand. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20180913_152303.jpg
    20180913_152303.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 20180914_115254.jpg
    20180914_115254.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 20180918_060618.jpg
    20180918_060618.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20180918_143826.jpg
    20180918_143826.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 155
  • 20180918_143841.jpg
    20180918_143841.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 20180918_143846.jpg
    20180918_143846.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 20180918_144012.jpg
    20180918_144012.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20180918_073931_306.jpg
    IMG_20180918_073931_306.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20180918_154534_720.jpg
    IMG_20180918_154534_720.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 20180918_143818.jpg
    20180918_143818.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 127
Welcome to the forums! It is perfectly normal for your cham to not eat for awhile when you first get it. When you water your chams cage you usually won’t see them drink and they also can absorb water through their skin. Also yes you have a beautiful male. Enjoy your new cham!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first chameleon. He certainly is a little cutie!

Reptivite is a multivitamin and D3 all in one, so you will need to dust with calcium, without d3, just about daily and the Reptivite twice a month. I highly recommend the long tube style bulb for UVB. It will cover a larger area of his enclosure. I do not like the dome lights. I would also recommend setting up a dripper and not misting so often. A more natural way to hydrate is a night fogger or warm mist humidifier. I’ll get you a link to some info about that and attach it below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...er-management-unleashed-by-petr-necas.165025/

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first chameleon. He certainly is a little cutie!

Reptivite is a multivitamin and D3 all in one, so you will need to dust with calcium, without d3, just about daily and the Reptivite twice a month. I highly recommend the long tube style bulb for UVB. It will cover a larger area of his enclosure. I do not like the dome lights. I would also recommend setting up a dripper and not misting so often. A more natural way to hydrate is a night fogger or warm mist humidifier. I’ll get you a link to some info about that and attach it below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...er-management-unleashed-by-petr-necas.165025/

Thank you so much!! I was a bit confused on the reptivite/d3 thing so thank you for clearing that up. I'll put the tube light on the top of my list. I'll go check out the link now:) he is quite the cute little guy:) I love him so much. Thank you again for all your help.

Wait am I doing something wrong with my multivitamins. The green is D3 and the blue is no D3 just calcium
They arent multivits, they are both calcium but the one has d3 in it, the other doesnt.
As any good multivitamin often also provides D3 in most cases calcium +D3 wont be needed.

This is my first post here so i'm hoping it's in the right place and not totally ridiculous.
Anyway, I got my cham a few days ago (Sept, 13, 2018) and I just want to make sure that i'm doing everything I can to give him the best possible care I can.
A little background, I'm a huge animal person and have been raised in the rescue world. Awhile ago, I assisted in the rescue of what I now know was a panther chameleon and I fell in love with these guys. I've been researching and gathering supplies. I finally dove in, and got my first cham from a breeder I looked into. (honestly I think I drove her a little insane for a few months with questions but we're cool now lol)
Here's my care sheet.

Chameleon:
Male, (i'm pretty sure,but let me know what you think please) Veiled, 2 1/2 month old (born in June) I got him on September 13, 2018.
Handling:
I've Handled him everyday, a couple times a day. He was hesitant the first day or two but he's a very curious little guy and actually enjoys coming out now. He crawls right onto my hand now and will eat crickets that i'm holding between two fingers which really surprised me considering all I've read about how anti-social they can be.
Feeding:
The first night he didn't eat anything, I think it was just nerves. The next day though I had him out to rearrange some vines in his enclosure and he ate a house fly right off the window, so I offered him some crickets and he's been eating those now. He eats and average of about 3 or 4 in the morning and then again in the evening but he really doesn't seem interested in any more than that. I've tried a few different methods but nothing seems to work. Yesterday I ordered some small dubias that should be coming in the next couple days and my boyfriend is bringing home some small superworms so maybe those will spike his appetite. Is it normal, or should I be more concerned?
Supplements:
I have been dusting his crickets with calcium without d3 everyday just in the morning. I've ordered the reptivite with d3 and its shipped, and then i'll begin doing that twice a month. What multivitamin should I get? I see so many different things. Its hard to narrow down. Also, I gut-load his crickets, so far, I've used romaine lettuce and carrots because it's what I had on hand but, but grocery shopping tomorrow:)
Watering:
I have a hand reptile mister and I've been misting 2-3 times a day for about 3-5 minutes. I've been using slightly warmer than room temp water because he seems to accept it more. He's not a fan of misting at all. he runs for cover every time, but I do see him licking his lips. I haven't seen him drink off a leaf yet. He seems to avoid the wet things all together if he can. I got a dropper to try that but he's very afraid of that, puffs up and gets all spotty at it. lol. I'm hoping this hate of misting will pass.
Fecal:
History:

Cage Type:
It's a screen ReptiBreez, the 16,16,30, I believe. My boyfriend and I have started our planning for a DIY cage though. So he'll have an upgrade in not too long.
Cage Light:
Currently I have a double dome with just the one side turned on. The breeder told me he wont need a basking light yet, so I'm just using a UVA UVB bulb I got, it's a 50 watt, and I cant remember the UVB number. Its a brand called Boshi? I also have a bulb that's ZooMed but its the tube type not bulb type. like tube bulb. I'm pretty sure I read those were bad for their eyes? But it's a 5.0 UVB. Let me know what I should do there. I'm working on getting the better UVB bar light but for now I need help knowing what bulb to get for this dome setup.
Temperature:
His basking spot varies during the day from around 78F-85F and his lowest spot is 67F-72F. At nighttime it stays between 60F-66F. His day temp varies so much do to whether or not the ceiling fan is on or not. (probably true at night as well however I haven't had it on yet with him here yet for fear of him getting too cold.) There's also a window in the room that affects the temperature. Its on the opposite side of the room, but if the curtains are open it does up the room temp a few degrees in general.
Humidity:
This is where my crazy preparation and planning failed. :( I don't have a humidity thermometer yet but I've ordered one and its shipped. (cham mom shame) I will update humidity levels when I get my package. It was estimated for Friday I believe.
Plants:
He's got a live Pothos right now, and I have two smaller starts that I'm growing for when I upgrade his house. I've been reading the plant list and i'm going plant shopping this weekend.
Placement:
It's in our bedroom, on the opposite wall of the window. Its sitting on a sturdy desk about 4 1/2 feet of the ground. Our room is about 18 feet by 12 feet. There's a ceiling fan a turn on during the day if it gets too warm but other than that it stays off. The AC vent is in the opposite corner of where his enclosure is and we keep is closed because its above our bed. My Boyfriend and I are the only traffic in the room, other than our two cats, but they don't bother him.

Another question is as he's been exploring his new house he crawls along the walls and top of his cage, and rubs his head on the top a lot. his head has gotten a littler darker I think, but i'm not sure if i'm imagining it or not. I've rearranged vines to try and keep him from rubbing but nothing has really helped, any advise there?

I just want any feedback, or tips, or advise. I'm so in love with him and I want to take the best care of him I can. Sorry for the novel length post. Also, his name is Armand. Thank you in advance.
I would recommend rearranging the vines a little differently so it’s not so crammed to the top. Other than that from the looks of it you have a pretty healthy looking Yemen Veiled chameleon. If you have time I would highly suggest natural sunlight at least a couple of days of the week depending on how busy you are. Half shade and half sunlight if need be use a towel over one side. It is a great way to get the health benefit for your chameleon. Just remember that keeping a chameleon is a continuous learning experience and everyone one here is more than happy to help. A real plant also makes it a more natural environment and the leaves retain the water longer which is a upside to it. But I would always clean the plant first leaves pesticides/neonicaconiods fertilizer that most plants have in them when you buy them. I usually remove all dirt from the roots and wash the leaves very well too. You could also use soil from the pet store but keep in mind cover the soil with some thin slate rock veils tend to eat leaves just a heads up. They will sometimes eat lettuce. Umbrella plants pothos ficus is the most commonly used. If you choose to use a real plant they are also listed on here in the safe plant section. Acurite temperature/humidity sensor probe the small unit is good on the top of my head I can’t remember what product number is but it’s black small and rectangular pretty good unit. It takes 2 double AA battery’s not included though. I would highly recommend a misting system sooner than later (CI or Mist King) but as long as your misting at least 3 times a day for at least 3-5 minutes you should be okay just insure that the enclosure drys out in between mistings so bacteria doesn’t start to grow. Cleaning the with healthy habitat is good because it’s all natural even though it states you can spray it while the animals are in the enclosure I wouldn’t do just my personal take on it. A good way down the road when your chameleon gets older and ready for a basting spot a good way to test the light is to put your hand under where the light sits on top if is uncomfortable for you it is to hot for the chameleon. I would change up feeders from time to time just so your chameleon has a variety and a good gut load is arugula Romain lettuce turnup greens carrots but in moderation alphalfa sprouts apple orange etc. If it gets to cold you can use a ceramic heat emitter at night gives off heat and no light is on. A timer is a good investment it puts them on a day night cycle. And if you really want to go the extra mile you can get another timer so you can put a moon bulb that only stays on for 20-30 minutes after your other lights go off to simulate a sunset and it gives them time to find their spot to sleep.

Check out joshsfrogs.com fullthrottle feeders they have a lot of variety of feeder insects and full throttle feeders has some pretty cool feeder cups along with feeders as well. Another good thing to have is flukers reptiboost on hand for a every other or 2 week supplement. Some probiotic for reptiles aids in healthy digestion done every 3 or 4 feedings it comes in a powder form light dust the feeders. Organic skin and mite treatment is always good to have and also aids in shedding use as needed in moderation don’t over use. There is also an herbal supplement on the top of my head I can’t recall the exact name but it is also a good product. I’m just giving information that I have have found very useful. Change the bulbs out every 6 months with the Zoo med/exoterra bulbs it says a year but it loses uvb sooner than that unless you get Arcadia bulbs it is a bit longer longevity of the uvb output but that is to be debated still. Natural sticks are good but you have to be careful. Wash them with cool water some say bake them but experts say cool water does the trick but baking does destroy bacteria so I wouldn’t see why not. The reason why I say cover the dirt up with slate rocks is because sometimes chameleons engest the dirt but not usually or likely most of the time better safe than sorry. There’s a lot of knowledge on here take advantage of it. Bill Strand has podcasts I would really encourage you to listen to him sometime. He also has his company Dragon Strand which is the best enclosures in my opinion. His enclosures make things a lot easier putting a enclosure together and definitely worth every penny to say the least. There’s lightmyreptile.com which a good go to for lights and fixtures in the future. Rashly is a good calcium with and without D3 sumpliment along with a good multivitamin. Lots of sponsors on here and they are all great to to business with. Congratulations on entering the world of chameleon keeping everyone is glad you are a part of the community. And congratulations on your new chameleon.

I would recommend rearranging the vines a little differently so it’s not so crammed to the top. Other than that from the looks of it you have a pretty healthy looking Yemen Veiled chameleon. If you have time I would highly suggest natural sunlight at least a couple of days of the week depending on how busy you are. Half shade and half sunlight if need be use a towel over one side. It is a great way to get the health benefit for your chameleon. Just remember that keeping a chameleon is a continuous learning experience and everyone one here is more than happy to help. A real plant also makes it a more natural environment and the leaves retain the water longer which is a upside to it. But I would always clean the plant first leaves pesticides/neonicaconiods fertilizer that most plants have in them when you buy them. I usually remove all dirt from the roots and wash the leaves very well too. You could also use soil from the pet store but keep in mind cover the soil with some thin slate rock veils tend to eat leaves just a heads up. They will sometimes eat lettuce. Umbrella plants pothos ficus is the most commonly used. If you choose to use a real plant they are also listed on here in the safe plant section. Acurite temperature/humidity sensor probe the small unit is good on the top of my head I can’t remember what product number is but it’s black small and rectangular pretty good unit. It takes 2 double AA battery’s not included though. I would highly recommend a misting system sooner than later (CI or Mist King) but as long as your misting at least 3 times a day for at least 3-5 minutes you should be okay just insure that the enclosure drys out in between mistings so bacteria doesn’t start to grow. Cleaning the with healthy habitat is good because it’s all natural even though it states you can spray it while the animals are in the enclosure I wouldn’t do just my personal take on it. A good way down the road when your chameleon gets older and ready for a basting spot a good way to test the light is to put your hand under where the light sits on top if is uncomfortable for you it is to hot for the chameleon. I would change up feeders from time to time just so your chameleon has a variety and a good gut load is arugula Romain lettuce turnup greens carrots but in moderation alphalfa sprouts apple orange etc. If it gets to cold you can use a ceramic heat emitter at night gives off heat and no light is on. A timer is a good investment it puts them on a day night cycle. And if you really want to go the extra mile you can get another timer so you can put a moon bulb that only stays on for 20-30 minutes after your other lights go off to simulate a sunset and it gives them time to find their spot to sleep.

Thanks for your detailed response! Couple questions, I did rearrange his top a bit, actually a couple times now. It seems he likes to be up top but if I dont put a vine literally almost touching the top then he goes all spiderman on me and crawls across the top of the mesh and he's fallen a few times that I've seen. So I've tried making it dense enough up there that he doesn't feel like he needs to scale the ceiling but also not so dense that some light gets in and so that he has other places to explore. I guess we're just still trying to find his happy medium with foliage.
I got my pothos put in there, fresh dirt and all washed up. It seems to love the misting unlike mr. Armand lol. I put some rocks in to cover the dirt so o think I'm good there.
I take him outside almost everyday for at least an hour, more or less and he loves it. We both do
So healthy habitat?? Is it a cleaner? Can I find it in a store? Or should I look online?

Thank you again. This was so helpful.

Here's my care sheet.

Chameleon:
Handling:
Feeding:
Supplements:
Watering:
Fecal:
History:

Cage Type:
Cage Light:
Temperature:
Humidity:
Plants:
Placement:

Super awesome post ! Your doing great! I hope my female is as happy as the transition as yours was! I’m glad your bonding and I can’t wait to hear more !

Check out joshsfrogs.com fullthrottle feeders they have a lot of variety of feeder insects and full throttle feeders has some pretty cool feeder cups along with feeders as well. Another good thing to have is flukers reptiboost on hand for a every other or 2 week supplement. Some probiotic for reptiles aids in healthy digestion done every 3 or 4 feedings it comes in a powder form light dust the feeders. Organic skin and mite treatment is always good to have and also aids in shedding use as needed in moderation don’t over use. There is also an herbal supplement on the top of my head I can’t recall the exact name but it is also a good product. I’m just giving information that I have have found very useful. Change the bulbs out every 6 months with the Zoo med/exoterra bulbs it says a year but it loses uvb sooner than that unless you get Arcadia bulbs it is a bit longer longevity of the uvb output but that is to be debated still. Natural sticks are good but you have to be careful. Wash them with cool water some say bake them but experts say cool water does the trick but baking does destroy bacteria so I wouldn’t see why not. The reason why I say cover the dirt up with slate rocks is because sometimes chameleons engest the dirt but not usually or likely most of the time better safe than sorry. There’s a lot of knowledge on here take advantage of it. Bill Strand has podcasts I would really encourage you to listen to him sometime. He also has his company Dragon Strand which is the best enclosures in my opinion. His enclosures make things a lot easier putting a enclosure together and definitely worth every penny to say the least. There’s lightmyreptile.com which a good go to for lights and fixtures in the future. Rashly is a good calcium with and without D3 sumpliment along with a good multivitamin. Lots of sponsors on here and they are all great to to business with. Congratulations on entering the world of chameleon keeping everyone is glad you are a part of the community. And congratulations on your new chameleon.

Thank you so much. I look into the skin stuff, i'm pretty sure he's coming into a shed soon. He's getting a bit white in his armpits and a couple other spots. Also the probiotic, I love your tips. I'll turn on the podcast for my walk tomorrow. Thank you again!!

Super awesome post ! Your doing great! I hope my female is as happy as the transition as yours was! I’m glad your bonding and I can’t wait to hear more !
Thank you! I'm happy to hear that. 1 week today! He's doing great it seems. His personality is really shining now. I adore him. I'll keep updating about him. I made him an Instagram to stop driving my family insane with photos lololol. This forum is so great for all my millions of questions though. I'll be watching to see your female!! Let's stay in touch!!

Thank you! I'm happy to hear that. 1 week today! He's doing great it seems. His personality is really shining now. I adore him. I'll keep updating about him. I made him an Instagram to stop driving my family insane with photos lololol. This forum is so great for all my millions of questions though. I'll be watching to see your female!! Let's stay in touch!!

Aww yeah I am sure my family will be soon as well !
She’s getting used to things that’s for sure

Back
Top Bottom