New Cham, looking for advice on a few topics

Im in England, Northamptonshire
Hi there, I’m in England too, I guess you know the Northampton reptile centre, I get my live food by post from swell reptiles, they have a good selection and always dispatch fast, I buy brilliant fruit fly cultures as whatever stage of development you need directly from Advanced husbandry fruit flies, he also sells on eBay, I also buy silkworms cultures from Tom at theSilkwormstore, alternatively eBay has just about everything you need, sometimes not as cheaply as other places but the smaller quantities might be more appropriate for you. Good luck.

Hi there, I’m in England too, I guess you know the Northampton reptile centre, I get my live food by post from swell reptiles, they have a good selection and always dispatch fast, I buy brilliant fruit fly cultures as whatever stage of development you need directly from Advanced husbandry fruit flies, he also sells on eBay, I also buy silkworms cultures from Tom at theSilkwormstore, alternatively eBay has just about everything you need, sometimes not as cheaply as other places but the smaller quantities might be more appropriate for you. Good luck.

Hello, I don't actually know the reptile centre in Northampton, I'm in a town near by.

Thats great thank you, in need of a good place to get my feeders, I ordered some online that I think came from Nottingham and most of them turned up dead. Is swell reptiles near by?

Hi there, I think swell are in Cheshire, I’ve had a few batches over the years when things are dead, very rarely though, ordering insects can be a little tricky, especially in winter, so I try to time ordering when it’s not really icy and over the weekend so the insects aren’t in a warehouse for longer than necessary.

Hi there, I think swell are in Cheshire, I’ve had a few batches over the years when things are dead, very rarely though, ordering insects can be a little tricky, especially in winter, so I try to time ordering when it’s not really icy and over the weekend so the insects aren’t in a warehouse for longer than necessary.

OK ill keep that in mind, thank you

hey
I'm also from England and I use the Northampton reptile centre. so far everything has been great. they even offer a subscription service. not sure how the prices compare as I've not really shopped around but I've been happy so far :)

hey
I'm also from England and I use the Northampton reptile centre. so far everything has been great. they even offer a subscription service. not sure how the prices compare as I've not really shopped around but I've been happy so far :)

Thanks for the info, think I'm gonna shop around for while and see which I find best, I'll add northampton reptile centre on the list!

Good to hear there are ventilation holes. Without seeing it in person, I couldn’t tell you if they are enough. But, since they are there, hopefully they will work fine.

*Update*

He is doing very well today again, eating plenty and basking with his eyes open. He has also pooped a few more times, one of them had a completely white urate with no orange! Couldn't be more happier seening that. Even though he hates me spraying him directly it seems to be keeping him hydrated (sorry pickle!).

It has only been 3 hours since I've turned his lights on today though so I'll continue keeping a close eye on him.

*Update*

He is doing very well today again, eating plenty and basking with his eyes open. He has also pooped a few more times, one of them had a completely white urate with no orange! Couldn't be more happier seening that. Even though he hates me spraying him directly it seems to be keeping him hydrated (sorry pickle!).

It has only been 3 hours since I've turned his lights on today though so I'll continue keeping a close eye on him.
Awesome!

They hate getting sprayed directly, you’d swear they were being sprayed with acid! It’s like making your kid take their medicine, they may hate it but it’s required to stay healthy. Keep doing what your doing!

Here he is today, looking very happy and healthy

Attachments

• _20180930_132534.JPG
    _20180930_132534.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 74
Awesome!

They hate getting sprayed directly, you’d swear they were being sprayed with acid! It’s like making your kid take their medicine, they may hate it but it’s required to stay healthy. Keep doing what your doing!

Haha so true, I feel so bad because he runs away so fast I get nervous he will fall, he does eventually sit hidden in his plant grumpy and accepting it

Hello all, I just a few a questions I'd like to ask as I am very paranoid mother to my new baby Cham, his name is Pickle and I've been wanting a Cham for 4-6 years but wantes to wait until I was ready. Any advice would be much appreciated. Not sure how to upload a picture! But he's in my avatar. Should have a pic of his setup in my media.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon: Veiled, male, 5 weeks old and have had him for 3 days.

Handling: First handled him today to take him by his food bowl. He is very friendly and does not mind being handled.

Feeding: Fruit flies around 10-12 twice a day as he has a big appetite and tends to eat them all.

Supplements: Calcium without D3 every feeding. Have Calcium with D3 ready to give him twice a month. Have not got his multivitamins but will be getting some to also give twice a month.

Watering: Have a pressurised mister, mist him about 2-3 times a day for about 1-2 minutes.

Fecal description: Yet to see any.

History: Got him from my local reptile shop, he was the small one of the batch but seemed to be very healthy, huge appetite and very friendly, always at the front of the cage and was being handled everyday. Was supposed to have him a few weeks from now but reptile owner was happy to give him away as he was doing so well.

Cage info:
Cage type: Wooden viv with glass doors and a screen top. Size (in inches) 36L x 24W x 18D

Lighting: Reptisun 5.0 Uvb strip light (7:15am-7:30pm). Basking bulb 100w, getting a 75w bulb tomorrow instead (7:30am-7:15pm).

Temperature: Basking spot usually a steady 30-35° Celsius and base of cage 25° Celsius. At night temps usually stay around 18-23° Celsius.

Humidity: Seems to stay around 40-50%. Both humidity and temperature however are measured by analogue so not sure how reliable those are, going to be getting a digital one.

Plants: One small Umbrella plant cleaned and soil covered with large rocks. Plenty of fake plants dotted around also.

Placement: Lives with just me and my partner in a flat that tends be quite cold (reason for the wooden viv), his cage is in our spare room on a chest of draws about eye level to us. Very low traffic.

Current Problem:
Have not seen any poop yet and have had him 3 days now so I'm a bit worried, how often do they tend to poop?

Today he seemed a bit off, first 2 days he was very active exploring his cage. This morning instead of rushing down for food and waiting by his food bowl (which is what he has been doing) he layed up in his basking area and closed his eyes for a while. I then took him down to his food bowl (worried he wasnt eating!) and he ate most of his food if not all then went back up to bask and closed his eyes again. All day he has been walking up and down the same branch stopping and closing his eyes every now and then. Is this normal?? I am so worried as he is tiny and very young, want to make sure I am doing the best I can for him!

Also I have seen him drink about 4 droplets of water since I've had him, I am worried he is dehydrated as I rarely see him drink and the reptile shop I got him from never had any water droplets on leaves whenever I visited but had a water bowl! Any advice on how to get him drinking would be great!

Thank you in advance, the forums have been a huge help so far.
Hi is he translucent cuz if so I got his brother!?

@Jack135 , I'd recommend starting a new thread. This one is pretty old, and not many people will respond on an old thread.

Back
Top Bottom