New cham. Is the cage okay?

http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulWeldon.html This is one blog. I just searched a bunch and decided 5.0. He hangs out at the top under the light a lot and so I felt: 1) the light did not need to go to the bottom , 2) I didn't want to over UVB him. Just do a google search and decide. Everyone has a different opinion.

Cham news blog Summary:

Chameleon UVB requirements – 10 to 50uW/cm2 of UVB with a safe UV Index level and use a Solarmeter 6.2 to confirm with readings.

Fluorescent linear tubes - The Reptisun 5.0 linear fluorescent tube is considered the first choice. All other should be verified on the “UV Guide UK” for safety and effectiveness.

http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulWeldon.html This is one blog. I just searched a bunch and decided 5.0. He hangs out at the top under the light a lot and so I felt: 1) the light did not need to go to the bottom , 2) I didn't want to over UVB him. Just do a google search and decide. Everyone has a different opinion.

Cham news blog Summary:

Chameleon UVB requirements – 10 to 50uW/cm2 of UVB with a safe UV Index level and use a Solarmeter 6.2 to confirm with readings.

Fluorescent linear tubes - The Reptisun 5.0 linear fluorescent tube is considered the first choice. All other should be verified on the “UV Guide UK” for safety and effectiveness.

Yep there is millions of opinions, and alot of them wrong lol. Todd breaks it down pretty well, and gives you the guidelines to follow but people choose they know best (they don't, solar meters do, along with the guy that sells the bulbs)

This post was actually part of another thread, but because it is important- I have put it in its own thread.
Cheers, Todd

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

so true, so true Devokid and jamjam.
In almost all cases, having light simply setting on top over the screen is just fine.

:D

Now about 12% bulbs.

WE ALWAYS MUST ADVISE PEOPLE TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES AND USE THE
12% BULBS WITH CAUTION.

Please see a few things below that are very important to know.:)

And remember -- we all must work to continue our education on providing UV and correct lighting to our animals... because the "last word" is far from in.
There is so much more to learn for all of us.

If you are using or thinking of using an Arcadia 12% bulb-
the checklist starts here:
:D

ONLY on a large cages (36 - 48H and 24 wide). BIGGER THE BETTER
In a large cage, UV ZONES are created so the animal can move as they choose from one UV ZONE to another as they would in Nature.
on adult chams
Set up properly with lots of plants / shade
And keeping the perches directly under the light a good 12" - 16" away
And using a proper basking/dome light so the Cham will not TRY TO GET TO CLOSE TO THE HO t5 for heat.
We do not want to force the animal to have to use the HO t5 fixtures as its sole heat source and be compelled stay too close to it.:eek:
This is important.
Always use a NON UV dome light / heat light in conjunction with any other UV light on a reptile. ( a ceramic heat emitter would be ok too.)
It is important that the animal is not FORCED to soak up more UV rays than they need to just to stay warm and digest their food.
A Solarmeter is VERY HANDY.

An Arcadia 12% can work well IF it is the right light for your set up.
We have customers that have been doing that for 2+ years now with fantastic looking Chams.
But not everyone has the set up to use 12% bulbs.
So don't think the higher percentage makes them better for your particular set-up.

Please read on....

A 12% may NOT BE THE RIGHT CHOICE for your Cham's set up even if ONE of the below is true:

a.
the cage set up is smaller, narrow- so as to NOT ALLOW the Proper UV GRADIENTS
The animal can not get out from under the bulb.
b.
there is not allot of shade-so as to NOT ALLOW the Proper UV GRADIENTS
c.
the animal can climb up (too) close to the light
d.
the animal is a baby or quite young
e.
The species of Cham is one that is very shade loving and does not require or tolerate higher UV.

If even one of the above is true--
then I recommend just sticking with the Arcadia 6% HO T5 Bulb.
Because those are awesome too!

Cheers.
Sincerely,
Todd

Please click on below to see some examples of UV testing with Arcadia bulbs in Tropic Blaze double bulb fixtures.
Distance is noted in pics and so is if it is through screen or not through screen.:cool: ENJOY

Now in my personal experience, no one is placing the bulbs 12-16 inches over the basking area, if you are setting your light on top of the screen in any reptibreeze you should not have a 12%, no matter what morons on Facebook tell you.

If you are not setting it on the screen, well then go down the checklist and see which is best for you.

Hey Heather, I have just one note that could elevate your husbandry even a little bit more! :) I saw that you are gutloading your crickets with kale, which is not necessarily bad, but kale should not be used as the sole gutloading ingredient. It is a good additive, but in the second tier (in terms of healthfulness) of ingredients to pick from, not the first. Here is a quote from the feeding and nutrition section of the resource page here:

"Suggested Ingredients

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans."

So, for your gutload, it would be healthier for your chameleon in the long term to use ingredients from the "Best" category as the bulk of your gutload, with kale (which is in the "Good" category) as a secondary bonus ingredient. To be clear, this is not a criticism, but just a way to get your cham the best possible nutrition!

Yep there is millions of opinions, and alot of them wrong lol. Todd breaks it down pretty well, and gives you the guidelines to follow but people choose they know best (they don't, solar meters do, along with the guy that sells the bulbs)

Now in my personal experience, no one is placing the bulbs 12-16 inches over the basking area, if you are setting your light on top of the screen in any reptibreeze you should not have a 12%, no matter what morons on Facebook tell you.

If you are not setting it on the screen, well then go down the checklist and see which is best for you.
These comments are great for the advance person. I was lost and overwhelmed when I first began too. Your percentages and bulbs without fixtures are complicated. Go slowly and show photo examples if you want to encourage new people.

These comments are great for the advance person. I was lost and overwhelmed when I first began too. Your percentages and bulbs without fixtures are complicated. Go slowly and show photo examples if you want to encourage new people.

I mean they are T5HO bulbs, they come in percentages, so you select the 6% bulb.

It's a T5HO bulb, so obviously you need a T5HO fixture.

If it's a 24 inch bulb, obviously you need a 24 inch fixture.

I don't see how it could be any simpler. If they can't put that together, I really don't think they should have a chameleon. That's putting the Triangle in the Triangle, and the Circle in the Circle.

Not trying to be mean, but I mean come on. I gave them the website, told them what bulb to buy, and told them they also sell fixtures. It doesn't get much simpler than that, that's litteraly the installing a lightbulb joke.

I mean they are T5HO bulbs, they come in percentages, so you select the 6% bulb.

It's a T5HO bulb, so obviously you need a T5HO fixture.

If it's a 24 inch bulb, obviously you need a 24 inch fixture.

I don't see how it could be any simpler. If they can't put that together, I really don't think they should have a chameleon. That's putting the Triangle in the Triangle, and the Circle in the Circle.

Not trying to be mean, but I mean come on. I gave them the website, told them what bulb to buy, and told them they also sell fixtures. It doesn't get much simpler than that, that's litteraly the installing a lightbulb joke.
There are so many numbers....Example:
10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts (and no where does it say the size or %) My hood is 30" and it takes a 24 inch bulb. All those numbers make sense to you but there is a learning curve when you are new.

There are so many numbers....Example:
10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts (and no where does it say the size or %) My hood is 30" and it takes a 24 inch bulb. All those numbers make sense to you but there is a learning curve when you are new.

10.0 is the percentage.

You are talking about reptisuns which like to do odd things, for little reason. There is really no reason for that 30 inch fixture to exist. Not many people have a 30inch cage and there is no 30in T5s.

You missed the part where I told them to go to Light your reptiles and buy Arcadia. Which are listed in percentages, and the fixtures match the bulb size. On top of being tottaly much better lights/fixtures.

As to the 30inch fixture thing, another thing of note is, No one else on the planet makes a 30in fixture except for the Reptisun. It litteraly has no reason to exist, and is utterly stupid. Luckily it comes with a bulb.

However if you were to shop at LYR, like I stated, you wouldn't find such stupid things. Or if you were to buy your bulb online, and a fixture at home Depot it would be the 24inch fixture for the 24 inch bulb. Zoomed wants to confuse you, so they can charge more for their crappy products.

10.0 is the percentage.

You are talking about reptisuns which like to do odd things, for little reason. There is really no reason for that 30 inch fixture to exist. Not many people have a 30inch cage and there is no 30in T5s.

You missed the part where I told them to go to Light your reptiles and buy Arcadia. Which are listed in percentages, and the fixtures match the bulb size. On top of being tottaly much better lights/fixtures.
I went to that site. My 30inch fits perfectly on top of my cage and rests on the metal frame as to not press on the screen. Mine works fine, my Cham is healthy. Everyone has different needs.
NEW!!! SC5 - 60x30x30 XXL Jumbo Vertical Screen Cage

$ 169.00
$ 219.00

SALESOLD OUT
SC6 - 72x30x30 XXL CRAZY HUGE Vertical Screen Chameleon Cage

I went to that site. My 30inch fits perfectly on top of my cage and rests on the metal frame as to not press on the screen. Mine works fine, my Cham is healthy. Everyone has different needs.
NEW!!! SC5 - 60x30x30 XXL Jumbo Vertical Screen Cage

$ 169.00
$ 219.00

SALESOLD OUT
SC6 - 72x30x30 XXL CRAZY HUGE Vertical Screen Chameleon Cage

Right so you are in the miniroity with a 30inch cage. It's cool that the fixture matches the cage, I agree.

However that doesn't make it needed, and as you said it just adds to confusion.

As far as your light working fine, I'm sure it does. I said they were crappy not that they didn't work. They do work, and that bulb does put out UVB, and will do so, for 5 months 6months tops at which time you need to replace it. Then there is the fixture, you may get lucky, and the fixture may last for years. Or you may be like alot and find you will need to replace the cheap fixture with the bulb in 6months due to it failing. That's the nature of cheap Chinese products, when it works it works when it don't it don't, and usually that don't comes pretty fast.

On the flip side, we have LYR, selling Arcadia bulbs that only need to be replaced 1 time per year or so. (Around 10months is better) and fixtures that are made by top companies in the Flo field, that will Outlast 3 Reptisun hoods.

Will it cost more? Yes, upfront, in the long run you are better off.

German Enignerring VS Cheap Chinese Enignerring, who do you trust?

Want me to make it easy, OP buy this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-6-ho-bulb/

In 10months to a year replace that bulb with a 22inch 6% bulb.

Now here is the bulb you replace it with.
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ar...-the-original-reptile-ho-t5-in-north-america/

Now that bulb is 30 dollars a Reptisun will cost you 20-25, and needs to be replaced 2x as often, if it doesn't break, if does well that another replace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom