New cham husband here

Hello everyone, I'm Sergio and my little 1 is Remy, I was told that she is just over a year old. My ? Is, do I have enough stuff in my enclosure for Remy?

Attachments

• 20160302_083412.jpg
    20160302_083412.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 131
Looks good, maybe some more foilage for cover.. I see you have the dual fixture. Do you have a UVB and a basking bulb in there?. The only thing that maybe concerns me is that your chameleon looks too close to the light and he might get burned. They do not have to touch the hot screen or light to get burned. They can get what is known as a thermal burn, kinda like our sunburn. As you chameleon grows, he will get even closer to the heat source, especially the top of his head, or casque as it is called.. Your branch should be down about 8 inches. I don't know how close it is, but it looks pretty close in the pic. Have seen so many burns on here over the years. Mostly the spine and the casque. You have to be careful. If their spikes on their spine burn, they will fall off and never grow back.

The only question i have for u is the window alway shut,cause any draft can cause a respiratory infections,also how hot can ur summer temperature gets ??with the sun comes in the window , it might heat up the cage temperature ,maybe another location will be better to place the cage instead of next to a window.

Last edited:
Looks good, maybe some more foilage for cover.. I see you have the dual fixture. Do you have a UVB and a basking bulb in there?. The only thing that maybe concerns me is that your chameleon looks too close to the light and he might get burned. They do not have to touch the hot screen or light to get burned. They can get what is known as a thermal burn, kinda like our sunburn. As you chameleon grows, he will get even closer to the heat source, especially the top of his head, or casque as it is called.. Your branch should be down about 8 inches. I don't know how close it is, but it looks pretty close in the pic. Have seen so many burns on here over the years. Mostly the spine and the casque. You have to be careful. If their spikes on their spine burn, they will fall off and never grow back.
Thank you, will make the adjustment to her home. Yes I have a uvb light and a day time basking light as well. Well let me start by say how I got her.... He was at a local pet store here in lansing, I was told it was a male, and that he was over a year old. He was kept in a 25 or 30 gallon fish tank a bowl for water bark for the substrate, probably never handled, etc, etc, (from reading some of the post from some of the established members) your typical pet store that doesn't know how to handle these reptiles.
My girlfriend and I purchased a reptibreeze chameleon kit, set it up, purchased a few more things, and brought him (come to find out when we got home he was a she. Lol)home. Unfortunately with my inexperience with these perticular reptile the kit is to small in my eyes for her. She seem to be doing well, but still to early in my eyes. My next purchase will be a extra large cage or build one for her out of some piece of furniture.

The only question i have for u is the window alway shut,cause any draft can cause a respiratory infections,also how hot can ur summer temperature gets ??with the sun comes in the window , it might heat up the cage temperature ,maybe another location will be better to place the cage instead of

Window is always kept shut and there is plastic around the window as well. I live in the north, lansing, Michigan. Summers here can get hot and feel hotter with the heat index, at times reaching over 100 degrees. Also her home is on the north side of our bedroom, so will leave curtains closed till late spring when the temperature stabilizes, but will probably leave plastic on windows to minimize drafts.

Could you post some more photos of her? We would love to see her :)
Could you post some more photos of her? We would love to see her :)
20160302_083357.jpg
20160302_083346.jpg
20160302_083357.jpg
20160302_083346.jpg
20160302_083341.jpg
20160229_134946.jpg

In the last pic I must of made her angry. Hehe

I've taken the advice of one of the members here and shut my curtains. Even with plastic on the windows I still found a small draft close to the bottom of her enclosure and got the thermal curtains for her, now I got to move her branches down so she dont get burned.
She's our little Remi. :)

If she is over a year old,more or less that will be the size u getting now from her.

Thank you. For your information I was just wondering on her size and I believe I have a small enclosure or too small of enclosure for her. Planning on upgrading her enclosure within 3 months

View attachment 153569 View attachment 153570 View attachment 153569 View attachment 153570 View attachment 153571 View attachment 153572
In the last pic I must of made her angry. Hehe

I've taken the advice of one of the members here and shut my curtains. Even with plastic on the windows I still found a small draft close to the bottom of her enclosure and got the thermal curtains for her, now I got to move her branches down so she dont get burned.
She's our little Remi. :)

She is so cute!! Congrats on such a beautiful girl :). That's good that you're moving her branches down. I would do that as soon as you can. Have you got a laying bin set up for her yet?

She is so cute!! Congrats on such a beautiful girl :). That's good that you're moving her branches down. I would do that as soon as you can. Have you got a laying bin set up for her yet?

No, should I be worried? I'll find something to put in there for her. 12x12x12 inches right

They can develop eggs from about 6 months on having been mated or not. If not mated,they will be infertile, but they still have to come out, so always good to have a laying bin on hand. When she gets ready to lay, she will lose her appetite or go off food completely and start wandering around the cage looking for a suitable place to dig and lay the eggs. She will also get fatter! Sometimes you can even see the outline of the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom