New cham from Kammer!!

GReyMAtter

Just got in my first chameleon from KammerFlage yesterday and I couldn't be more excited. He's a beautiful 2month old boy from they're "Orange Crush" sire. I was actually surprised after only like an hour or two since I got him, I put in a few crickets just because I had to go to work and wanted to make sure that he had a snack if he felt like eating, set my cricket container down and boom he was already going to town haha. Only thing I'm trying to figure out is he will lick the branches I have set up for what I'm guessing water yet any time I mist(with a pressurized pumped bottle for no less than 2min) he will not only scurry away but seem to not want to drink. Later on he's trying the branch again and it's kind of a mix match and repeat haha. I also seen that he'll once in awhile just "puff" up like crazy and flare his colors. I don't have anything that will spook him around the cage and the only thing I could think off is the giant panther chameleon tattoo'd on my leg but He's around 6ft up so I highly doubt it's that. I just kind of want some reassurance that I'm being a good dad I guess and that I'm just worrying to much. If he's still like this after a week and a half I'll probably be back on here asking the same types of questions haha. Oh also he's in a fairly large cage, when I spoke to Briana she said it would be adequate but that for his age might be to large. It's 2',2',3' so there is that. Any responses would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• WP_20131031_009.jpg
    WP_20131031_009.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 91
  • WP_20131031_010.jpg
    WP_20131031_010.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 96
  • WP_20131031_011.jpg
    WP_20131031_011.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 116
  • WP_20131101_001.jpg
    WP_20131101_001.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 98
Congratulation on the new Kammer! Glad to hear he is eating right off the bat!

My guys like to lick the branches as well even if there isn't any water on it. I would keep an eye on him for a few minutes after you mist but out of his sight. I bet he is drinking but doesn't want you around while he is doing it.

As for puffing up, it could just be you he is scared of, give him time to settle in and get accustom to his new surrounds and he should calm down.

If he is running around and is able to find his food without a problem, I wouldn't worry about the cage size. If you start seeing issues because of the size, maybe try switching to cup feeding for a bit or even raising up the bottom to make the cage smaller.

Congrats! I also recently received a Kammer baby! They produce some really neat panthers. Mine also licks branches...I dont think it is anything to worry about as long as he is provided water. I can't wait for him to grow...

Congratulation on the new Kammer! Glad to hear he is eating right off the bat!

My guys like to lick the branches as well even if there isn't any water on it. I would keep an eye on him for a few minutes after you mist but out of his sight. I bet he is drinking but doesn't want you around while he is doing it.

As for puffing up, it could just be you he is scared of, give him time to settle in and get accustom to his new surrounds and he should calm down.

If he is running around and is able to find his food without a problem, I wouldn't worry about the cage size. If you start seeing issues because of the size, maybe try switching to cup feeding for a bit or even raising up the bottom to make the cage smaller.
Yeah I'm just going to give it a week or so too see if he calms down. Hopefully by then he will stop trying to act like the branch slim out and turn brown every time I open the door haha. He's been super good with eating too I'll throw in 12+ crickets and he goes right to town, runs all over the cage into my umbrella plant, it's quite a sight haha. I'm just trying to figure out too how long till I should start working with him. I really don't want to stress him out to much I was thinking of waiting a week or more then just taking him out on a branch for only a few minutes but I don't know how many times a week I should do this. Also I really don't want him hating me haha like I don't want him to get this image in his head that the 6'2" monster is coming better go hid so he doesn't take me out lol.

I would give him 2-3 weeks before you start to handle him. At that point, get him out and do short little sessions of 1-2 minutes everyday or every other day. It all depends on their personality on how they will react towards you. Hand feeding is a great way to help so them you bring food and not harm as well.

He is younger so you should be good but I did notice in all of mine that when they mature, they become more standoffish. The males become more territorial, especially in their cages. Just give him time and love and hopefully he will enjoy your company as much as you enjoy his!

Back
Top Bottom