new cham cage

image.jpg
How does this look for a 2 month old nosy be panther? getting a stand soon-haven’t installed mister yet.

View attachment 317871How does this look for a 2 month old nosy be panther? getting a stand soon-haven’t installed mister yet.
Hi. :) I hate to rain on your parade, but that isn’t a good set up for a chameleon. Even though you’ll be getting a baby, that is really much too small and not set up for a cham…much too short and the moss and such is more of a hazard than a help. You have a couple of options. You can get the full sized 2x2x4’ enclosure that your chameleon will be needing when it reaches adulthood, or you can get a smaller 16x16x30” for while it’s small and then upgrade when it grows.
Have you checked out https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ or Neptune the chameleon on YouTube? Both are great sources that will help guide you to a great set up.

yes i have-this terrarium size is only for a week or two-the 24x24x48 is on back order at my petco. If i remove the moss is it alright for that long?

For a week or two, what you have will be ok once you remove the moss. The problem with moss is that it can pose a risk for impaction if your chameleon accidentally eats it and it can become a bacterial mess in just a short time. Bare floor is best and most hygienic. The cholla wood is ok for now, but I suggest using regular tree branches that you can collect and wash/rinse when you set up the larger enclosure. Just avoid pine and other sappy trees. I see you have a linear uvb. Is it a T5 or T8? What is the strength of the uvb bulb? With the short enclosure, you won’t want to blast the baby with too much/too high uvb. For baby chameleons it’s best to raise all lights off of the screen as they are like little monkeys and will walk upside down on the top, putting them at risk for burns. I grabbed some little wire baskets from the dollar store to set my lights on for my young cham. The biggest challenge in putting a tiny chameleon in an adult sized enclosure is making sure they’ll be able to find their food. However/whatever method you’ll be using to feed, make sure it’s within clear sight from basking branch and try not to move it elsewhere. If you want, you can shorten the height of the full XL screen enclosure until your little one gets bigger. The floor can be moved up, making it shorter by placing something stable beneath it.

it’s a t5 5.0 uvb. is that ok? i’ll elevate my lights i was going to do a bio active terrarium is that a bad idea? neptune the chameleon said it was fine

Back
Top Bottom