New Camera & Tons-o-Pics of hatchlings!!

danielle609

Established Member
Hi all! I finally got a new camera...a Nikon Coolpix P80...400 dollars later. I can't believe I spent that much on a camera...but it is an amazing camera I love it. It has 18x optical zoom and 10x digital zoom I believe. Anyone else use this camera?? If so let me know if there are any secrets to photographing chams.

So here are some pictures of my babies and their setup. There are currently only 9 out of the egg!!

DSCN0048.jpg

DSCN0039.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0031.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

DSCN0023.jpg

Now I have some pictures to go along with some questions. The first is this little guy who seems to be dark a lot of the time. I took the picture after I found him on the bottom curled up and very dark. I thought he was dead but the second I picked him up he started walking around. Is this normal?? He was with a roomie, but since I have separated him, and he hasn't gotten quite as dark. Should I be worried, or did he just not want a roomie?? Here are his (I say he, but I really have no idea what sex they are, I tried taking a gamble at a couple, but I really don't have the same skill as many of you...I will just wait a couple of months :) ) pictures;
DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

Now my next question. I had a little guy hatch out last night...He was #8...and I was looking at him this morning and he has funky eyes! It looks very strange..nothing like the other 8. Because of it I have named him bugsy..because he has bug-like eyes. I am not sure what to make of it. Has anyone else seen this before, is it going to cause a problem?? If he is considered "defective" then I will just keep him as my "special" :) pet and not sell him. Here are his pics, let me know what you think!!;(he wouldn't stop moving. so the pics aren't that great)
DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0052.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

DSCN0054.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

Sorry for all of the pictures, especially if anyone is using dial-up, but let me know what you think, especially about the dark guy and bugsy. Thanks!!

Bugsy has got to be one of the cutest things I've seen but there's definately something wrong there. Can he close his eyes?

Bugsy has got to be one of the cutest things I've seen but there's definitely something wrong there. Can he close his eyes?

Yes I have seen his right eye close all of the way, so I am assuming his other one can too. I agree it is cute, but I feel bad because I don't know if it is going to cause problems for him. I will probably have to be careful, because he is probably more susceptible to eye infections. Other than his eye he is normal in every other way. Does anyone know what would have caused this??

really nice babies :) bugsy is really cute. unfortunately i cant help you with what may have caused it but i hope it all works itself out

I am a little concerned about the black one. It is really stress for some reason. I would maybe segregate him to make sure he/she is eating and drinking. See if it lightens up or does a little better.

I am interested to hear what people think of Bugsy. That is very interesting.

EDIT : I reread your post and see you already separated him. Sorry .. Looks like you are on the right track.

Last edited:
Just gorgeous Bugsy is dfinetly 1 of the cutest chams i have saw for a long
He reminds me of 1 of my friends hatchlings which had similar eyes He kept him as didn't want to chance selling him & the most problems i think he had was like a conjunctivitis over the eyes
Could ask him again but i'm pretty sure the cham must be around 2 yrs old now
Not sure about dark guy could have been like you say caused by the roomie

I am a little concerned about the black one. It is really stress for some reason. I would maybe segregate him to make sure he/she is eating and drinking. See if it lightens up or does a little better.

I am interested to hear what people think of Bugsy. That is very interesting.

EDIT : I reread your post and see you already separated him. Sorry .. Looks like you are on the right track.

No need to apologize...I jumble everything together..I am a very hard person to follow :) He looks normal now, but I haven't seen him eat yet...and no little turds, but he hatched about 1 1/2 days ago..so hopefully soon. I would hate to lose any of them!

I am also interested to see what everyone says about bugsy. I just went and looked at him and his eyes were both closed. Right when he opens them it looks fairly normal, but then more of his eye pops out.....very strange, but I guess as long as he can close his eyes that is a good thing right??

Thanks everybody that has posted so far...and everyone else let me know what you think :)

OMG!!!! I WANT BUGSY!!!:eek:

LOL :) I think I may be keeping him, I was going to keep my first hatched, Chester, but I don't want to sell a chameleon that may have future problems, so I will probably just keep him. I sorta hope it is just a phase though...I don't want him to be harassed growing up..:)

LOL :) I think I may be keeping him, I was going to keep my first hatched, Chester, but I don't want to sell a chameleon that may have future problems, so I will probably just keep him. I sorta hope it is just a phase though...I don't want him to be harassed growing up..:)

Awwwwwwwwwww but I want him!! Bug eyes an all...LOL.

It'd be nice to know what's wrong with him...

Looks like the eyelids didn't form completely. What were your temperatures like during incubation? I had similar things happen with a clutch of Ch. (T.) quadricornis gracilior that we assumed was due to a month or so of incubation temps that were slightly too high.

Looks like the eyelids didn't form completely. What were your temperatures like during incubation? I had similar things happen with a clutch of Ch. (T.) quadricornis gracilior that we assumed was due to a month or so of incubation temps that were slightly too high.

They were kept mainly in the lower 70s, but at the begining I had them in a hovabator, and noticed during the first week that even though I had it set at 73, for some reason it got into the 80's, so I just unplugged the incubator, but left the eggs in it. The weird thing is, is that I have 2 clutches hatching right now, and this is from the clutch that is 2 months younger than the other. Do you expect him/her to be ok? He can completly close his eyes. Thanks!

400$ on a point and shoot!:eek:
For an extra 100$ you could have bought a real camera like a Nikon D40.
IMO, Canon makes a better point and shoot.

Good luck with the new babies.

Of the quads I had with the undeveloped eyes and eyelids, only one of the hatched. That little male had a slit all the way through the eyelid where it hadn't completely formed together. He was able to grow up a normal, healthy cham in spite of it. The other ones failed to hatch and were discovered upon opening up the eggs after they had sweated. These other 3 had eyes and eyelids missing, but were otherwise large, developed embryos.

So, to answer your question, I don't really know based on my limited experience. Presumably if he can eat and drink, and the eyeballs stay hydrated, I would think he should be alright. :confused:

400$ on a point and shoot!:eek:
For an extra 100$ you could have bought a real camera like a Nikon D40.
IMO, Canon makes a better point and shoot.

Good luck with the new babies.

How did I know Justin would chime in :p I totally agree with Justin though. I almost purchased the same camera that you did until I was more informed about DSLR cameras from Justin and a few other wonderful people here. I love the Nikon D40.

It's all what works best for you though. A point and shoot can still make great quality pictures as long as it's used properly :D Best of luck with the new camera!

P.S. Your little Bugsy is precious. Keep an eye on him :)

Now I have some pictures to go along with some questions. The first is this little guy who seems to be dark a lot of the time. I took the picture after I found him on the bottom curled up and very dark. I thought he was dead but the second I picked him up he started walking around. Is this normal?? He was with a roomie, but since I have separated him, and he hasn't gotten quite as dark. Should I be worried, or did he just not want a roomie?? Here are his (I say he, but I really have no idea what sex they are, I tried taking a gamble at a couple, but I really don't have the same skill as many of you...I will just wait a couple of months :) ) pictures;
DSCN0028.jpg

DSCN0030.jpg

We had a couple in our Sambava clutch, and a couple in our veiled clutch that stayed dark all the time, and that would typically curl up in a ball on the bottom of the tub, under a leaf. I separated them, and then they would act normal, but each time I would reunite them with the others they would go back to being dark and curling up. I would separated them again. But then after about 2 weeks they seemed to just get over it and started behaving like all the others.

They look great! My panther babies didnt eat untill day 3. I was kinda worried myself but everything turned out fine. I do have a question though. I hope it doesnt come off as insulting or negative and its probably a dumb one but:eek: I noticed you have them in the critter keepers in that aquarium. It doesnt get too hot in there does it? Also I wouldnt think any of the UVB would penetrate through the screen on top and then down into the keepers.

Bugsy is adorable. Don't know if the eyes will be a problem or not.

Your pet-pals in the aquarium...they could be a little closer to the UVB light....and the container on top of the right one is blocking the light and should be removed.

Back
Top Bottom