New Cage

JizoJuma

I bought a large bird cage for my cham.. its rusted. Is this still safe t use?
If its not is there any thing i could use to cover the rust and make it cham friendly?
Also I was hoping to put a hanging plant in his cage any suggestions?
And I was also wondering what you guys use for the bottom of their cage.
I'm currently using sythetic dirt but every time he falls or goes looking for food he gets it all over him and in his eyes.

Can you help me and Jizo out?

If its not is there any thing i could use to cover the rust and make it cham friendly?
I'm currently using sythetic dirt but every time he falls or goes looking for food he gets it all over him and in his eyes.

You really don't want to use a bird cage for a Cham, especially a rusty one.. .The bars are not good for them to grip as they will slide, and you can imagine what would happen if you slid down a rusty pole... You should really need to get a screen cage.

As far as the hanging plant Pothos is the best and most readily avaiable hanging plant that is safe for Chams. You should check out the Live Plants section of the site... Make sure you are getting plants that are safe for them.

As far as the bottom of the cage... You and your Cham will be a lot happier if you just use newsparper or paper towels for the bottom... Easy to change and no risk of ingestion or it irritating your cham.

Here is a link to a great care sheet put together by one of the Mods on this site Brad Ramsey... http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Read through that site as it has a wealth of the same info all of us will be spewing at you on the boards... Please don't hesitate to ask anymore questions you feel may not be answered by your research. Good Luck.:D

what kind?

what kind of screens are best? I want to get some screen from menards and just line the inside of the cage, would it be okay to use it as a frame?? How big/small should the screen be? Should or can I make the screen softer for him? Is there too rough?

You can buy rolls of PVC Netting, I think the trade name is Poultry Mesh... You would want to use a 1/4" hole in the screening at the biggest. You can buy it at any home depot or lowes, that stuff is great for them to climb on... But the only issue I have with using that stuff is that it doesn't hold in bugs. Crickets and worms can crawl right out... I cup feed and still find some wandering the cage that manged to escape my escape proof cup.:confused:
I imagine that it would work fine to line the cage with that stuff... But I would still be worried about them reaching through to the metal caging though. Respectfully, I think you are starting off on the wrong foot deciding to use a rusty bird cage.

I know it is nice to try to save money by taking shortcuts and using alternative materials to try to make do... But I have learned from experience you will save yourself a lot of headache and trial and error to just do the research, and save up a little money to buy things that were made with Chams in mind.

Where are you located? I don't think I've ever heard of Menards? Is that kinda like Lowes or Home Depot?

I use green vinyl coated hardware cloth 1/2 inch, but my veiled cham is 6 months old.

I would use either paper towels or no substrate.

Hanging plants? I use pothos. I just haven't gotten around to researching other hanging non toxic plants.

Rust needs to be primed..rustoleum...and walmart sells a rubber coating spray...in the automotive section..like rhinolining in a can. But I agree, keep it temporary.

thanks

I currently have the little guy in a glass cage up on its side with a screen lid, a dripper cup and I mist him often. My shower is broken so I can't shower him and he keeps one eye closed half the day. I mist him for 15 minutes straight there is a water fall and the cup in there... What can I do????

I currently have the little guy in a glass cage up on its side with a screen lid, a dripper cup and I mist him often. My shower is broken so I can't shower him and he keeps one eye closed half the day. I mist him for 15 minutes straight there is a water fall and the cup in there... What can I do????

I don't have too much time Jizo.. but I'll try to help a little...

Take him to a vet to have the eye checked out.

You still need a screen cage for more circulation.

Take out the Waterfall ASAP...They harbor bacteria that can get your cham sick if he drinks from it.

What are you using for lighting? This could be causing the eye issue, But it could also be a wide range of so many different things which is why the first thing you should do would be consult a vet.

Hope someone else chimes in....

Can somebody link the Ussual questions for Jizo to answer so that we can help. I am moving today so I have to get going... good luck

Please fill this out:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

PICTURES WOULD HELP.. PICS OF THE ENCLOSURE & THE CHAM ITSELF

Chams should not have their eyes closed half the day.

My chams don't close their eyes unless they're goin to bed or when I mist them in which they open & close it & roll it around to clean it.

Last edited:

Jizojuma, chameleon should not often fall when he goes looking for food.
So, i am a bit worry when you say that.
Honestly, my chameleon is a year old now and he fall down only twice. One is because he's freak out the first time he need to go to the vet for check up and the other one is when he's trying to climb a huge gap over to the other side.

The dirt should not be there period. No subsrate necessary for chameleon.
most importantly, he should be in a screen cage now.
as far as falling thing, how is your chameleon legs and joints?
is it curving? or does he have extra joints in the legs?

if your cham's leg is like this:
http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-b-metabolic-bone.html

then you need to go to the vet.

Back
Top Bottom