New Cage - Start with DIY Aquazamp Raindome Copy

ricksli

Hello everyone. My first post. I've been an aquarium guy for a long time, but am starting my first build for a panther chameleon. I have a Dragonstrand 24" x 24" x 48" clear cage. I'm waiting for my background to arrive before I can really begin putting everything together, but in the meantime I have started working on my misting system. I went with a Mistking Starter package, some additional nozzles used on their raindome and set out to duplicate an Aquazamp raindome.

I started with a Zoomed 12" canopy which appeared to be about the same size and shape of the Aquazamp. I removed the hardware, used bondo to fill in the holes, sanded it smooth and painted it with black textured paint. Came out great. Would have been perfect had I not dropped the canopy in the dirt after I painted it...figures. LOL. I'll probably sell this one and do another one after I see how it works.

Anyway, here's some photos of the process and finished product.
Photo Sep 05, 12 59 36 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 05, 1 17 52 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 05, 5 12 25 PM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 11 43 32 AM.jpg

Photo Sep 06, 11 43 45 AM.jpg

What an awesome idea! Looks really clean and finished too,very awesome job here.

Hah! I like the mud pan idea. I'll play with both and see how I like it. But probably eBay for the first one. :)

Since I like things perfect, I had to experiment further with this suggestion.

I found a black one with just a little more length so I could use the third nozzle I had. A little less width, but should still be fine. The blades on this pan were easily removable so all 4 sides could lay directly on the screen and help keep mist contained.

And I found a good use for my MistKing keychain....lol.

Photo Sep 07, 4 48 24 PM.jpg Photo Sep 07, 4 48 47 PM.jpg Photo Sep 07, 4 49 24 PM.jpg

Hah! I like the mud pan idea. I'll play with both and see how I like it. But probably eBay for the first one. :)

Since I like things perfect, I had to experiment further with this suggestion.

I found a black one with just a little more length so I could use the third nozzle I had. A little less width, but should still be fine. The blades on this pan were easily removable so all 4 sides could lay directly on the screen and help keep mist contained.

And I found a good use for my MistKing keychain....lol.

View attachment 111410View attachment 111411View attachment 111412

Looking good... let us know how it preforms. I have the aquazamp raindome, I like it. The only drw back is it only hit the middle of the enclosure. My cham enjoys it!

Just curious what would the ideal size of the box be for you guys. Do you prefer a wider one or narrower and longer?

That's exactly what I'm thinking too. I'd imagine that you want to create a rain zone.

Yes sir, my jacksons chameleon would love it,plus wouldn't take up alot of space with the light fixtures on top

Did my logo inspire you? LOL.

But not too long as it seems from the countless threads I've read that these are popular to keep misting from escaping the sides of the enclosure. In looking for dome ideas, I was concerned with them being too narrow. I haven't seen any misters in action, just videos and photos.

It looks to me that if the dome is too narrow, the mister will spray against the sides of the dome and cause more dripping down the sides of the dome and reduce misting. The rain droplets should be a result of an accumulation of misting on the screen. Makes me wonder if a round dome with a few misters in different directions would work even better.

Anyway, I could be way off base...but just my observation so far.

I'd go for narrower and longer also. I figure if someone wanted more coverage the could hook up two. One in the front and one in the back. That way you could piece them easier around the lights.

ricksli, logo for sure looks good :) but It's in the works, along with many other things :) I'm not one to make it from a cut off bottle or a mud pan ... great for DIY, though. I'm trying to make it little nicer with new moulds that would be specific for that purpose and would look great.

some mist gathering on the sides will be normal. Whole idea of sides after all is to stop overspray 100%, if a drop falls as a result of mist accumulating on mesh vs drop sliding from the wall and falling in, result is still the same, drop of water falling in, which is what the whole point it. Obviously you don't want extremes, 90% of drops from walls nor a rain zone so big that it will overwhelm the top of the cage.

I agree, I have light diffuser for my enclosures top,so I wouldn't get the collection on the screen alot of others would,I could always add some screen to the bottom of the dome though if I need too,oooooor maybe a screen section that clips in and out Marty?

pg...been toying with the idea of making a custom cage with a screen panel that can be slid into the portion of the top of the cage, but below the installed nozzle giving you the same effect as a rain nozzle but with nothing on the outside of the cage. Few problems though...taking away real estate from the animal, hard to apply that for existing cages, animals/feeders possibly getting stuck behind the panel, etc. I found the whole concept flawed as it was too intrusive into the cage and that's what everyone is trying to avoid. Maybe has some merit, just needs to be tweaked,

pg...been toying with the idea of making a custom cage with a screen panel that can be slid into the portion of the top of the cage, but below the installed nozzle giving you the same effect as a rain nozzle but with nothing on the outside of the cage. Few problems though...taking away real estate from the animal, hard to apply that for existing cages, animals/feeders possibly getting stuck behind the panel, etc. I found the whole concept flawed as it was too intrusive into the cage and that's what everyone is trying to avoid. Maybe has some merit, just needs to be tweaked,

An rain dome injection mold catered to standard consumer cage sizes seems like the most cost effective route. Have the nozzle holes precut, offer a "kit" and you're golden.

Back
Top Bottom