New Cage Plans! Please Comment.

leanna156

I designed a cage for Kermit, my female veiled chameleon. Please make comments and suggestions before I build it.

Dimensions: 48"x48"x18"
The frame will be pine, the back and bottom will be pvc or corrogated plastic. Aluminum window screen will be used to cover it. I plan to use the same misting system that I have set up now (pressure sprayer, garden timer, spray nozzles, etc) but I may expand on it. For a drainage system, I will cut a hole in the bottom of the cage and put a screened funnel and bucket under it.

Questions:
1) Is the size good?
2) What should I use to waterproof the wood?
3) How old should Kermit be when she moves into it? (She's 4 months old now.)

Front
front.JPG

Back
back.JPG

Top and Sides
topsides.JPG

Looks good. I think it's kind of huge for a veiled female. I always thought 2 x 2 x 4 ft was the suitable size for an adult. Then again, you can never have a large enough cage as nature.

Looks very well planned out. How big is she? (inches) I wanna build a new cage for my male veiled but hes only about 7 inches s to v. I also have a qurstion i know that 48x24x24 is standard but could i go 48x36x24?

Leana, plans look great....cage seems a bit big for her age, so either make it a bit smaller, or make it the size you want, but wait a bit longer before you put her in it. waterproof your wood with a wood sealer/primer, and then put multiple coats of interior latex paint. let the paint air-out for atleast a few days before putting your cham in it to be safe.

Looks very well planned out. How big is she? (inches) I wanna build a new cage for my male veiled but hes only about 7 inches s to v. I also have a qurstion i know that 48x24x24 is standard but could i go 48x36x24?

hey diezel, at 7inches s to v, a cage size of 48x36x24 shouldnt be a problem. do you cup feed? or free roam? finding his food "might" be the only problem, but i dont think it should be because most chams that i've worked with like to go on the hunt and find their food anyhow, so the space is nice for them.

my adult panther is in a custom 48x24x24 and i think it fits him well...would have liked to go bigger but this thing is already a monster :p picture number 4 on this post shows him inside the cage so you can get an idea.. https://www.chameleonforums.com/pics-info-bugattis-custom-3625/

Jim

I can't say much as to the design since it all depends on how you put it all together. I can say that my cage is 36"x24"x48" and my cham has been in it since I got it at approximately 5 weeks old. Two months later (~4" nose to vent) he seems to be doing fine. I don't free range the feeders, but that is only because of a couple design flaws with my cage.
I know some people will disagree with what I have done so take this with some salt, but it seems to be working for me so far.

One change I would make is to have the front door the same size as the front of the cage.
It would make it much easier to move things (big plants especially) in and out of the cage.

Also, I find it easier to 'sweep' debris out of the cage if the bottom of the door is flush with the floor of the cage. If you have a 'lip'/raised bottom under the door, you'll forever have things getting trapped in the corners as you're cleaning them out.

Provided your joins are flush, it'll still be cricket-proof.

Diezel, she is 4.5 months old and about 7 inches long. When I got her a month ago she was about 4 inches long. I can't believe how fast she is growing.

If its too big for her when I build it I could partition off part of it until she is ready for it. Is 48x48x18 too large for an adult veiled?

I think I'm going to make the door the same size as the front. That does seem a lot easier to work with. :D

Thanks,
Leanna

Back
Top Bottom