New Cage, mulling ideas over.

WinstonChrchll

Well, I'm almost done building the new cage for my Mellers Chameleon. It is 3x4x6 enclosure (I know the 3 foot side is a tad short but its biggest I could do) Its built basically to in the same style as the cage picture in the tutorial at Melleri discovery (http://www.melleridiscovery.com/) It will be done this weekend and planted by mid week.
I do however have a few questions for the various other things involved in making a proper habitat. I will be adding a misting system to the enclose as I have school to attend to and keeping the humidity is difficult with that. I was wondering if its ok to tap directly into one of my water lines and run off that water pressure and simply turn it on and off with a modified sprinkler timer (http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...lay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)? This would be very convenient to me and from what I have deduced, will work fine.
My next question is that being such a tall cage, is it ok to use a 10.0 bulb that allows the uvb to penetrate further into the enclosure? or should I use a 5.0 and simply heavily branch the upper foot or so of the enclosure?
Last but not least, I'm at a lost for a drainage system. Any ideas?:D

Sorry if I'm asking a bit much! Just trying to get this cham happy!

A pic would really help. Depending on the density of the screen on top will determine if you need a 10.0 or not. Reason being is that the cham will bask under the UVB as high up as he can get. Keep in mind that melleri like to squeeze themselves into tight spaces which can result in skin issues. Make sure that there are no tight spots he can get into. Where are you getting your melleri and how old is it?

I would use the 5.0 because the cham will go to the highest spot and the density isn't that bad. I would keep my basking light separate from the UVB this way if he wants UVB and not necessarily heat, he's got it. As for the drainage you could use screen on the bottom and have a drip pan under the screen on a stand. It's really hard to say without a pic. I did see your pic for your panther.

Back
Top Bottom