new cage is in and i have the wrong lights

mary prefontaine

can someone please remind me of exactly what i will need to light my 24x24x48"h double cage system. Each side will be that dimension and it will have a solid piece of wood in between them. So basically I will have a 48" wide by 24" deep x 48 inch H cage for two chams.
I know I will need a 36" hood light with a 5.0 reptisun bulb in it which should give lights to both sides, Now I forgot which light i need for their warming up period. anyone out there that can help?

What kind of chameleons? As for heat that depends on the species of chameleon. If a veiled start with a 60 watt and see what the basking temp will be. If not 88 or 89 them try a 75 watt.

Last edited:
The only lights you need are the uvb (reptisun 5.0 is the most recommended, so you have that). Then you need a basking bulb each, which can be just a standard household incandescent bulb (I use a spotlight for my male though). Branded 'reptile' basking lights are usually a waste of money.........

ya i have the reptisun and its a panther

I think someone had said to use a 75watt basking bulb, for some reason. I remember that from when I had my last panther. But to me that seems like it may keep my cage too warm, I have a book on chams and pantjhers in specific, so I will go look and see what they are suggesting. Thanks everyone.

i use a 75w spot light for my veiled chameleon on his 18x18x36 cage. He usually hangs out as close to the light as possible, sprauled across a vine and a fake plant, even though I made him a basking spot, he likes to be above it, warmer. It's 88° at his basking spot.

they basically say

ya I went through my book and it states the panthers like it around 85 degrees, so i will watch it and see if it stays that way. I also need some advise on how to set my timer for the misting system. I don't have a chameleon yet, but Im practicing for when I get it/them, and right now I have it set to go on about every 3 hours for 10 minutes at a time. And Im trying the lights as well to go on at 7am and off at 7 pm. any advise on those two things?

people who are telling you to use a 75 watt live in areas like I do. It is 15F outside right now. Bocajan lives in Florida where you live, follow what she tells you.

Back
Top Bottom