new cage for Kami :)

serenitystarlite

Established Member
And here's Kami's new cage all setup! I have a pothos that I need to add and I'll probably add some more vines. I'm going to have to put more leaves and things in the corner next to the baby's cage so they can't see each other.

I've seen here and there some people say that chameleons don't like red, but as I said in my other thread, I think my chams associate the color red with their food because I've been bringing it to them in red cups. So I put some red flowers in Kami's cage to brighten it up and she doesn't seem to notice them. Right now, she's sleeping right above one. I tested her before I put them in the cage and she just climbed on them, she didn't even give a second glance.

l_1ff581ef713d420388f2239d85d2fbda.jpg

l_9ee64bd7f5264d0691307b94961f7ca9.jpg

l_6ad423ecbe774711a555aba80bb0a0a9.jpg

l_3797bde045ff41fe8d14969187e0575d.jpg

l_6fcfacaba83e4dbcac6ba108c4264964.jpg

l_3d405e20a42c40d7b655d0c5f5edeb19.jpg

l_e14f0a163a0844c386cd44d71f6472e5.jpg

l_f4bec1fa89e342569c1ba7b93bfa93b8.jpg

l_19f1474c99634b65bf4ee3f0ec834604.jpg

l_ef02e284f60b494c99b42300056bf786.jpg

that is like a resort cage!!! Id want it in my living room jsut cuz its pretty haha

i think youve got a great cage there!

Thanks everyone! Kami loves it. When I put her in it, her eyes got huge and she just looked around in amazement for awhile. Then she proceeded to explore everywhere. She found a nice spot under the light to bask in and has learned where the dripper is. I caught her drinking right from the dripper, she had placed her mouth directly under it and was letting it drip right into her mouth! I tried to take a video because it was too cute, so I'll upload that later if it came out ok. She seems very happy and her mouth is doing a lot better.

Gazza, the cat in your avatar looks just like my cat! :D

It looks fabulous!!! Not to harp on plants, but be sure what you have there is 100% safe, even if you think she won't nibble on plants.

Looks really good. My only negative comment is...tweezers for crix? Seriously? Come on an grow some *cough* j/k I hate those little things too. It's taken some work for me to be ok with touching them. I'm still working on the roach thing..dunno if I'll ever be ok with touching them.

Lol! I hate crickets, they're so gross. I pick them up in my hand if I find an escapee, but even then I hate touching them. Ugh! :eek: I think I would have a better time with roaches. I bought some a couple weeks ago to see if Kami would eat them and she loved them. I think I could pick them up without tweezers because I found them way less disgusting than crickets. I'm thinking of starting a roach colony because I hate crickets so much! :D

What kind of twistie vine is that going across the top middle? I see these in pics but never find them to buy! Where can I get one? :)

Those wooden vine things are from the craft store, Pat Catan's to be exact. I forget what they're called. They come like 6ft long for only $6. Really cheap and they look awesome. I just rinsed them really well with scalding hot water until the water ran clear and then sealed them with water-based polyurethane (Minwax Polycrylic).

very nice looking setup you have. im jealous. i just upgraded cage and this monster still looks a little bare... good tip on the vine though. i was wondering where people got those myself. you just fix it in place with twist ties?

may i ask how you went about building this viv? i think it looks awesome. and i would hope, that soon i may be able to build something this awesome for my lil girl. did you just use a DIY that someone else did or just from your own head? again great looking viv! i love it!

It's basically from my own head. I went to Home Depot, bought a bunch of wood and a table saw and used a little trial and error. I definitely got ideas from other people's DIY cages. I'm currently in the process of building another small cage for my tree dragon and was taking pictures to put together a "how to" post for that size cage. I'm about to start working on another one this size for my veiled, so I will probably do the same thing and take pictures as I go along.

The cage was pretty cheap to build, but I picked fancy woodwork to use, so that made it a little pricey not to mention I had to drop a hundred bucks for the table saw. The saw was a must though, as there is no way I can physically cut anything with a hand saw plus it's fun to use and I get to annoy the crap out of my roommate and neighbors with the noise. If I do my math right and don't cut any of the wood wrong, then I might be able to keep the cost under $100 for the new cage. If you don't want to get fancy, you could build a cage for much less.

I'll start writing up the "how to" post later today and post the pictures I have so far. I'll probably buy the materials for the new cage either tonight or over the weekend, so I'll have pics of all that soon :)

Back
Top Bottom