new breeder here

privdncr

I have a room sized enclosure being buit for chameleons and was wondering if anyone had any tips such as where to buy the animals from? and which breed is most popular. My name is Rob and im calling my company Floating Lotus Reptiles.:D

Any of the site sponsors are good. Veileds and Panthers are fairly easy/popular.

Last edited:
you ever breed chameleons before? lotta people like panthers... quite a few to choose from but i guess its up to your locale(color) preference...

How much is your chameleon experience?
They also don't have breeds, its species, and in some cases with the same species morphs.

Welcome. If these are your first chameleons, I'd hold off on breeding for a year or two so you can get the hang of things.

I have a room sized enclosure being buit for chameleons and was wondering if anyone had any tips such as where to buy the animals from? and which breed is most popular. My name is Rob and im calling my company Floating Lotus Reptiles.:D

Are you meaning you are building a room size enclosure to house many chameleons in together? If so-you need to do some major research.

Also unless you're doing this on a massive scale and raising all your own feeders this venture is gonna cost you money .

It's ALOT of work! I almost went the giant enclosure route but it's honestly not the smartest thing. You'll deal with alot of animals that will be aggressive and will have to seperate them. IF you put more then one male in the enclosure they will find each other and they will fight every chance they get. You may want to re-think the way you'd like to do things. It's costly to buy a bunch of cages but well worth it. It's also very hard to keep track of everyone! Good luck with whatever you do...

and unless you are in there 24/7 to monitor breeding you will only get surprise clutches.... you wont know who mated with who.

sorry,I was unclear

The room I have is dedicated to reptiles.On one wall i plan to convert to a large cage. Divided in half for male and female. I have kept chams before and have done very well with them plus I check this site everyday for new info as well as other sites dedicated to these living gargoyles. Thanks to everyone who responded and as I get more built on the cage I will post some picts for you to critique me.

The room I have is dedicated to reptiles.On one wall i plan to convert to a large cage. Divided in half for male and female. I have kept chams before and have done very well with them plus I check this site everyday for new info as well as other sites dedicated to these living gargoyles. Thanks to everyone who responded and as I get more built on the cage I will post some picts for you to critique me.

Hmmm from what im reading it sounds like you'll be having 2 large enclosures, one for females and one for males. If I understand that correct I don't believe that will work out very well. Each Cham, even the females, will need their own enclosure that won't allow them to encounter another cham.

Housing more than 1 cham together (unless they are extremely young) is not a wise choice. It will end in chaos and bloodshed.

From being part of this forum and reading threads from it everyday, I've come to the conclusion that to breed chams for profit you will need time, money, LOTS of enclosures, you'll need to breed your own feeders and most importantly you'll need YEARS of experience with every step of a chams life from egg incubation, to identifying symptoms of any sickness'.

I do not mean to discourage any anticipations of breeding you may have, but when a decision like this involves so many lives (the chameleon's) It's best to make sure your decision is fail safe and backed up with research upon research upon research in between to thick slices of experience.

.....I'm gonna go make a sandwich.

I fully agree. If you plan to make a full scale breeding project, you need lots of money, lots of cages and space, and lots of time.

Hmmm from what im reading it sounds like you'll be having 2 large enclosures, one for females and one for males. If I understand that correct I don't believe that will work out very well. Each Cham, even the females, will need their own enclosure that won't allow them to encounter another cham.

Housing more than 1 cham together (unless they are extremely young) is not a wise choice. It will end in chaos and bloodshed.

From being part of this forum and reading threads from it everyday, I've come to the conclusion that to breed chams for profit you will need time, money, LOTS of enclosures, you'll need to breed your own feeders and most importantly you'll need YEARS of experience with every step of a chams life from egg incubation, to identifying symptoms of any sickness'.

I do not mean to discourage any anticipations of breeding you may have, but when a decision like this involves so many lives (the chameleon's) It's best to make sure your decision is fail safe and backed up with research upon research upon research in between to thick slices of experience.

.....I'm gonna go make a sandwich.

Not completely true, alot of species of pygmy chameleons are able to live communally, however, I get your point;)

Please understand to establish a breeding colony takes alot of time. This hobby is certainly a great guage of attention span! Unless you invest in more expensive chams of breeding age, you are usually looking at buying young stock that you raise up to be close to or over a year old, you breed, you wait 30+ days for eggs to be laid, then you wait 6-12 months for eggs to hatch, then you raise babies to 2+ months of age and... WHAM-there just went 2 years! I truly, sincerely, seriously do not suggest anyone buy (example) 10+ females of the same age, and then have 10+ clutches of babies hatching at the same time if you have no experience in this. Financially and time-wise, you will be broke and will be additionally setting yourself up for MASS FAILURE.

Hello, and welcome to the forum!!!!! Certainly decide on the type of chameleons you want to keep and breed and do extensive research so you know exactly what you are getting into. I used to deal w/ veileds and now extensively with panthers. I enjoy panthers because of the many different locales and bright colors. However, there are many species I would love to mess with. As mentioned, you should most certainly consider the cost and care of raising the babies. They eat a ton and the cost can add up very, very quickly! I learned early on how financially demanding chameleons are in general. Also, consider the cost of gravid females. Most the time they can cycle eggs and lay w/ no hang ups. Sometimes however, you can end up with a girl that wont lay eggs. Then you have to get to a vet, pay for x-rays, calcium injections, and oxytocin injections and out the door goes $150.00 and that is not full proof. I am all for the excitement of having chameleons and raising the young, like most of us here. Just do extensive research so you know what to expect and do not get discouraged. Good luck, I hope you make a decision on the types of chameleons you want to keep and make lots of babies to share w/ the community here. Take care! :)

Not completely true, alot of species of pygmy chameleons are able to live communally, however, I get your point;)

Oh yeah there are definitely exceptions, with a large enough free range you can house mellers together, good luck breeding them though @_@

point is, your right :p

whatever dude, you're joking...you can't have a giant cage full of males...have you seen what they do to eachother?

whatever dude, you're joking...you can't have a giant cage full of males...have you seen what they do to eachother?

You could always watch that one scene of fight club in slow motion to get the same effect.

ok im nto going to bash you in the head. I just want to let you know that it will cost alot of money and time if you have both of those then go for it. You are going to need to read ALOT and spend money on vet visits if you would like to do this correctly. Good luck!

-Clemonde

Back
Top Bottom