New baby (yay)! Humidity issues (booo)

I live in the super hot, dry Central Valley of CA (San Joaquin Valley). So, a couple hours away from you actually. 🙂

I think you’re right! Mid to high 40’s isn’t too much to get worried about. Can I get your exact misting schedule? I thought I had this down.. turns out I can’t remember if you’re supposed to mist for 2 minutes 30 minutes BEFORE and AFTER lights on/off, or if you’re supposed to mist for 2 minutes 30 minutes AFTER and BEFORE lights go on/off. Confusing, to say the least 😵‍💫 all my current chameleon knowledge pertains to non bio active setups, but I may have to start researching that option!

Bio active enclosures are so much easier than they seem. What’s cool about them is that it make maintenance chores like cleaning the enclosure almost not needed. The isopods and springtails take care of the cleaning. I have I also have millipedes in mine which are fun.

It sounds like you would benefit from a hybrid enclosure. One of my enclosures is screen, it works well for the room it is in but the other is in a room that I keep at low humidity (I have a dehumidifier running) because my bearded dragon is in that space. For that room I built a hybrid enclosure (part screen, part glass) and it helps keep the humidity in. You could possibly replace your side walls with something like this https://amzn.to/3C41hgX. Working with an enclosure type that fits your climate can be a game changer. All screen isn’t alway appropriate.

My light are on at 8am off at 8pm so for my misting schedule I do 5 mins at 8:30pm , 1 min at 1 am, run my fogger from 1:02 - 6 am, and the last misting is at 7:30 am for 2 mins.

Bio active enclosures are so much easier than they seem. What’s cool about them is that it make maintenance chores like cleaning the enclosure almost not needed. The isopods and springtails take care of the cleaning. I have I also have millipedes in mine which are fun.

It sounds like you would benefit from a hybrid enclosure. One of my enclosures is screen, it works well for the room it is in but the other is in a room that I keep at low humidity (I have a dehumidifier running) because my bearded dragon is in that space. For that room I built a hybrid enclosure (part screen, part glass) and it helps keep the humidity in. You could possibly replace your side walls with something like this https://amzn.to/3C41hgX. Working with an enclosure type that fits your climate can be a game changer. All screen isn’t alway appropriate.

My light are on at 8am off at 8pm so for my misting schedule I do 5 mins at 8:30pm , 1 min at 1 am, run my fogger from 1:02 - 6 am, and the last misting is at 7:30 am for 2 mins.
I‘m really loving the idea of the enclosure being self-cleaning! that and it retaining humidity definitely has my attention. During the day my cham’s humidity isn’t as bad as I thought - 39-50%. Closer to 50-60% toward the bottom of the cage (where all the water goes).

I like the sound of your misting schedule! So far I’m completely bombing bringing down temps down and humidity up at night, so I’m going to try the ice packs with cool mist pointed at them. Thinking about mimicking your misting schedule to see how that works.

I‘m really loving the idea of the enclosure being self-cleaning! that and it retaining humidity definitely has my attention. During the day my cham’s humidity isn’t as bad as I thought - 39-50%. Closer to 50-60% toward the bottom of the cage (where all the water goes).

I like the sound of your misting schedule! So far I’m completely bombing bringing down temps down and humidity up at night, so I’m going to try the ice packs with cool mist pointed at them. Thinking about mimicking your misting schedule to see how that works.

I’m having issues with that too! Even with the ac on. I haven’t been fogging because of temps. I been thinking of trying the ice method.

Same here in Maine. I can’t get temps below 75 in the top to middle of cage but at the bottom it gets down to 70. My gages don’t show my humidity to get very high at night either. It can get to 75 to 80% at the bottom but mid to top is about 70% Even with mistking misting ever 2 hours all night for 2-3 minutes each time. It makes me wonder just how accurate they are.

Same here in Maine. I can’t get temps below 75 in the top to middle of cage but at the bottom it gets down to 70. My gages don’t show my humidity to get very high at night either. It can get to 75 to 80% at the bottom but mid to top is about 70% Even with mistking misting ever 2 hours all night for 2-3 minutes each time. It makes me wonder just how accurate they are.
It sounds like you could also benefit from a more hybrid setup. This will at least help with humidity. My upstairs enclosure is in a room with temps and humidity in the 60s. I have a screened enclosure in that space with no issues. My downstairs enclosure is in a room with temps in the high 70s/low 80s and humidity under 40. In that room, I use a hybrid enclosure. My humid levels are great, 45 in the day and high 90's at night. The temperatures are a struggle tho. Working on bringing the overall temps on the room down.

It sounds like you could also benefit from a more hybrid setup. This will at least help with humidity. My upstairs enclosure is in a room with temps and humidity in the 60s. I have a screened enclosure in that space with no issues. My downstairs enclosure is in a room with temps in the high 70s/low 80s and humidity under 40. In that room, I use a hybrid enclosure. My humid levels are great, 45 in the day and high 90's at night. The temperatures are a struggle tho. Working on bringing the overall temps on the room down.
I have 3 sides of my enclosure covered in plastic so it’s kind of hybridized. It’s in my living room though so it’s hard for me to get temps down to 60s. I’d freeze! I’d also have to run my ac all night every night. I’m doing the best that I can. Eustis seems to be doing well. I really question how my humidity at night isn’t at least in the 80% since I’m misting every two hours. I wonder how good theses gages really are. I do have the digital ones though. It will be easier when fall gets here and the temps drop at night but then the heat comes on and dries out the air in here. Oh well.

I have 3 sides of my enclosure covered in plastic so it’s kind of hybridized. It’s in my living room though so it’s hard for me to get temps down to 60s. I’d freeze! I’d also have to run my ac all night every night. I’m doing the best that I can. Eustis seems to be doing well. I really question how my humidity at night isn’t at least in the 80% since I’m misting every two hours. I wonder how good theses gages really are. I do have the digital ones though. It will be easier when fall gets here and the temps drop at night but then the heat comes on and dries out the air in here. Oh well.
Yea, that is strange...with that much misting you should be golden. Maybe you are right about the gages. I use these guys https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834SNGQW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details. They work great and let you monitor from your phone. I had to exchange my last set, they malfunctioned, but other than that they have been great. I'm not sure about longevity, I've only been using them for two months. Our outside night temps drop to the low 60s high 50s most nights, I open the windows in their rooms. Northern California Summers would be great for Chams if we had more humidity/moisture 😩.

Back
Top Bottom