New baby panther chameleon won’t eat

No!! That is not normal at all, whats your current basking temp? Or temperature at the top of the cage? Did you adjust it as suggested?
Yes the temperature at the top is now 71, and it fluctuates between 70 & 80 but never goes past 80. I’ve raised the lights so it’s not as close anymore. I also tested it with my hands and it’s not too hot at all. It just seems like he has no energy to stand up.

Yes the temperature at the top is now 71, and it fluctuates between 70 & 80 but never goes past 80. I’ve raised the lights so it’s not as close anymore. I also tested it with my hands and it’s not too hot at all. It just seems like he has no energy to stand up.
Hi and welcome as mentioned make sure the temp below basking is not above 80 add a dripper above the plant at the front. If he likes wriggles black soldier fly larve are a good staple feeder (also called calci worms). I have a 3inch deep cup for my girl for her worms which would seem more appropriate for your baby
20201215_195023.jpg

Today i saw my chameleon do something really strange and frightening. As he was basking, he kept falling over to the side and closing his eyes. One time i saw he was completely laying on his side on a piece of driftwood and his color was black, then i walked away for a couple minutes to look it up and when i came back he was completely white and it looked like he has fallen asleep. After he woke up he opened his mouth really wide like a yawn. I am very concerned for him and i want to figure out what’s wrong. Is he sick?
Omg no! Okay so he think he’s starting to do what I suspected. I asked about the shaking and falling because I think he might have early stages of possible MBD or a fracture. Which is caused by the MBD. You need to get him to a vet ASAP! They will give you a good food supplement and a syringe. It’s absolutely crucial you get him to eat and drink. You can do these both through a syringe.

Omg no! Okay so he think he’s starting to do what I suspected. I asked about the shaking and falling because I think he might have early stages of possible MBD or a fracture. Which is caused by the MBD. You need to get him to a vet ASAP! They will give you a good food supplement and a syringe. It’s absolutely crucial you get him to eat and drink. You can do these both through a syringe.
I’m not saying there’s not still hope but from what you’ve described he’s in critical condition and without immediate help he will pass😞🥺.

Hi and welcome as mentioned make sure the temp below basking is not above 80 add a dripper above the plant at the front. If he likes wriggles black soldier fly larve are a good staple feeder (also called calci worms). I have a 3inch deep cup for my girl for her worms which would seem more appropriate for your babyView attachment 285565
Great thank you! I will try that!! I’ve tried cup feeding him before but he won’t go for it, the only way i can get him to eat is if i put the insect on a plant in front of him.

Thank you for the suggestions!! It’s weird tho, because earlier he was acting very weak and he wasn’t moving a lot, but now he is active and he’s been walking up and down his cage and i actually got him to eat! I don’t know if i would be able to feed him through a syringe because he is very small and i don’t know if i could get his mouth open

I’m also wondering how he could have gotten MBD? because i give him the correct supplements and i have the right lighting. Is there another way he could have gotten it?

I’m also wondering how he could have gotten MBD? because i give him the correct supplements and i have the right lighting. Is there another way he could have gotten it?
Sometimes it seems like we are giving them enough but it’s actually not and, also the way they absorb the nutrients they eat into their bodies, is through the UVB light so if he’s not under it for the proper 12 hours everyday within the correct lighting distance he could still develop it. Your parameters do seem correct overall. But I’d say just monitor him then and keep a vet in mind in case you feel you need to act quickly. I do think he definitely needs hydration. It’s going to be hard because he’s so small but unless he starts drinking it’s going to be a tough road. I would say you can try putting him in the shower for about 10 mins. everyday. I do this with my chameleon by placing him indirectly next to the shower and put on hot water to allow steam and therefore humidity to be created. This will give him a major hydration boost but it is also risky because of his age and size. This is something that I would get advice from other people first before trying it. It’s kind of a last resort.

Sometimes it seems like we are giving them enough but it’s actually not and, also the way they absorb the nutrients they eat into their bodies, is through the UVB light so if he’s not under it for the proper 12 hours everyday within the correct lighting distance he could still develop it. Your parameters do seem correct overall. But I’d say just monitor him then and keep a vet in mind in case you feel you need to act quickly. I do think he definitely needs hydration. It’s going to be hard because he’s so small but unless he starts drinking it’s going to be a tough road. I would say you can try putting him in the shower for about 10 mins. everyday. I do this with my chameleon by placing him indirectly next to the shower and put on hot water to allow steam and therefore humidity to be created. This will give him a major hydration boost but it is also risky because of his age and size. This is something that I would get advice from other people first before trying it. It’s kind of a last resort.
Thank you for your help! I’ve tried to put him in the shower before but he got very upset. I will try sometime again and see how he reacts

Attachments

• 20215242-3DE4-439C-BDD0-69D9E54041F7.jpeg
    20215242-3DE4-439C-BDD0-69D9E54041F7.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 4BFC8E28-9146-48FE-8BE8-E9710C4CD5F0.jpeg
    4BFC8E28-9146-48FE-8BE8-E9710C4CD5F0.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 82345606-49AA-4646-B6D5-9D3C1A2D6635.jpeg
    82345606-49AA-4646-B6D5-9D3C1A2D6635.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 80
Ok I just want to note... Showers with hot steam are not healthy for them... THe only way you want to do a shower method to re hydrate a sick cham is to put a plant in the tub that the cham can hold on to .... Then room temp water only. not hot... You aim the shower head to the wall so it bounces the water onto the plant that the cham is sitting on. However this too can be very very stressful on them.

Which is why you need to have your hydration method/s set up correctly. Fogging at night when temps are cool and then a morning and evening misting. you can also provide a dripper during the day.

I don't see any signs of MBD. Your supplements are good.

I think part (or maybe all) of what he was doing had to do with the insects being too big and the temperatures too high...puffing up...opening his mouth out of nowhere, shipping his head around, etc.

You said..."he will keep one eye closed at times, or he will rub his eyes against something"... Was he shedding recently?

Last edited:
Ok I just want to note... Showers with hot steam are not healthy for them... THe only way you want to do a shower method to re hydrate a sick cham is to put a plant in the tub that the cham can hold on to .... Then room temp water only. not hot... You aim the shower head to the wall so it bounces the water onto the plant that the cham is sitting on. However this too can be very very stressful on them.

Which is why you need to have your hydration method/s set up correctly. Fogging at night when temps are cool and then a morning and evening misting. you can also provide a dripper during the day.
Thank you so much!! I will try that!!

I don't see any signs of MBD. Your supplements are good.

I think part (or maybe all) of what he was doing had to do with the insects being too big and the temperatures too high...puffing up...opening his mouth out of nowhere, shipping his head around, etc.

You said..."he will keep one eye closed at times, or he will rub his eyes against something"... Was he shedding recently?
Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better. I’m still worried that he might have an RI when he puffs up and opens his mouth, but i don’t see him out his nose in the air... is there another reason why he puffs up and opens his mouth? And it looks like he’s starting to shed on his head but i haven’t seen it improve very much, and he hasn’t shedded fully yet since i’ve had him.

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better. I’m still worried that he might have an RI when he puffs up and opens his mouth, but i don’t see him out his nose in the air... is there another reason why he puffs up and opens his mouth? And it looks like he’s starting to shed on his head but i haven’t seen it improve very much, and he hasn’t shedded fully yet since i’ve had him.
They "yawn", stretch and puff up a lot when they are shedding. Mine does all sorts of acrobatics when he sheds

Back
Top Bottom