New baby Flying Gecko

James45

Well we had to go get crickets this evening and ended up coming home with this feisty little guy.
DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

Last edited:
OMG I love him!!! Tha is how I got my first crested...the guy put that tiny soft little creature in my hand (I had only had bearded dragons at that point) then she licked her eyeball and I was hooked!! :D I have never seen a flying gecko, cant wait for more pics! :D

How neat! Have you seen it "fly?" How does that work exactly? I've never seen them/read about them before!

What are those little red things?

How neat! Have you seen it "fly?" How does that work exactly? I've never seen them/read about them before!

What are those little red things?

Lol nope haven't seen it fly but i'm assuming he is more of a glider that a flyer hehe, he has extra webbing on his toes and flaps of skin that tuck under his belly that extend out when he is falling. As for the red dots those are just part of his color pigmentation.

I find these quite fascinating! I love their feet! They are like the flying squirrel of the gecko world! :D Apparently they move rather fast too, lol!:eek:

Lol nope haven't seen it fly but i'm assuming he is more of a glider that a flyer hehe, he has extra webbing on his toes and flaps of skin that tuck under his belly that extend out when he is falling. As for the red dots those are just part of his color pigmentation.

No, those are mites. You should probably get rid of those before they spread to other things.

Elizabeth Freer, a friend of mine, has been dealing with P. kuhli for years. I trust her care sheets above and beyond anything.
http://www.geckosunlimited.com/comm...os-ptychozoon-kuhli-palors-care-breeding.html

Flying geckos are definitely not for the beginner gecko keeper. They need high humidity, day/ night cycles and a well set up vivarium. Wild Caught animals often have high parasite loads in the form of tiny red mites and occasionally worms. Consequently, many imported geckos die of stress and disease. Wild Caught geckos are aggressive, and will bite, squeak and thrash if grasped. Captive Born & Bred animals do not normally suffer from parasite problems and with some work can even be tame. On a scale of 1-5 (1 being easy, 5 being master gecko keeper), I would give these animals a 3 for a WC and a 2 for a CBB.

If you get a WC animal, it will have mites. These parasites love flying geckos; the skin flaps are ideal mite homes. To remove these blood sucking fiends, take a Q-tip dipped lightly in vegetable oil and gently rub off the mites. Your gecko will not be happy and you will be bitten. I find letting the gecko bite me makes it easier to de-mite it. Check the geckos every few days for more mites for at least 3 weeks, then check every week for 3 more weeks. Remove mites as needed.

thanks for the heads up syn will have them taken care of pronto.:)

Anytime dear sir, let me know if you have any other issues that the care guide doesn't cover. I could ask Elizabeth or Dan Martindale (Chaotic Nights Reptile) about issues for ya.

Syn hit it right on..Red dots are definitely mites. Little mineral oil with deligent cage cleanings will take care of them.

You definitely have a male.

Back
Top Bottom