New baby chameleon!

sequoia

Ok so I bought a new veiled chameleon yesterday I think its 6-8 weeks old. It is in good health, no signs of bone deficiency.

One thing I need to know is when will it start feeding?

I put two crickets in a shallow dish and held it out for him and he just looked at it and closed his eyes. I placed the dish in the cage so he can eat the crickets whenever he is hungry. He has no interest in the food so far, he just wants to bask.

I thought about that but he is living in a well forested terrarium I made. I was worried that if I did that all of the crickets would hide from him. What do you think?

It's a 29 gallon aquarium, yes I know chameleons need an open air cage, but I created a ventilation system that adds fresh air to the cage. It has about ten plants growing in it, vines, moss...it looks as if I cropped a section out of a jungle and put it in a cage ha. His basking spot nearest to the light is about 90 degrees F with 60% humidity. Also I have a heating pad underneath a section of the cage to simulate a natural media since heat rises, not to mention his whole body can be heated instead of his back only.

Bad setup. Heat pad is a bad idea, tank is a bad idea. Substrate is a bad idea since I am assuming you planted the plants in dirt in the tank. Too high a humidity will cause URI. Your basking spot is too high for a young baby, it should be low 80's at the highest for his age. Why go against all the advice that is on here that is proven to work for a housing situation that is proven not to.

Your cage sounds ideal for some pygmies though.

It's a 29 gallon aquarium, yes I know chameleons need an open air cage, but I created a ventilation system that adds fresh air to the cage.

Unless that ventilation system involved you replacing glass panels with screen ones, I'm not sure what you could have done that will be effective. Hopefully at minimum you're aware that, assuming it doesn't die, your cham will outgrow this tank quickly.

It has about ten plants growing in it, vines, moss...it looks as if I cropped a section out of a jungle and put it in a cage ha.

What kind of plants? What are they growing in? Hopefully their own little pots with some kind of rock covering the exposed dirt. Any kind of dirt or moss substrate is a bad idea as well.

His basking spot nearest to the light is about 90 degrees F with 60% humidity. Also I have a heating pad underneath a section of the cage to simulate a natural media since heat rises, not to mention his whole body can be heated instead of his back only.

As stated that temp is too high, also, a heating pad does not simulate anything that a Chameleon would find in nature, their source of heat comes down at them from the sun, not up from the ground that is far, far below them.

Please provide more details and pictures if possible. What are you doing for UVB lighting? What is your feeding schedule like? Tell us everything.

It's a 29 gallon aquarium, yes I know chameleons need an open air cage, but I created a ventilation system that adds fresh air to the cage. It has about ten plants growing in it, vines, moss...it looks as if I cropped a section out of a jungle and put it in a cage ha. His basking spot nearest to the light is about 90 degrees F with 60% humidity. Also I have a heating pad underneath a section of the cage to simulate a natural media since heat rises, not to mention his whole body can be heated instead of his back only.

allthough it may look pretty, BUT this is not the natural enviroment of any chameleon except for pygmies.

think about what chameleons are ,above ground tree dwellers, they don't venture to the ground often if ever *except females*...

I thought this would work too, I even had a small fan blowing air into the enclosure 24/7 and that was not enough to prevent respitory problems, plus the glass makes it harder to keep him healthy, my 2 month old cham passes after only a month.

So hears what you may be able to do to remedy this cage. Would it be possible to turn the cage upright and pop the bottom out; giving you two glass sides and two open sides? From here, you get more height, and two open aired sides which you would then screen.
Like stated above, substrate is not a good idea, if you could get your plants separately potted, it would be most beneficial. Plus... you could throw the crickets in the pots and it will serve as a feeding cup as well.
The humidity you currently have (60'%'s) is a bit high, but with the two screen sides, should drop significantly. As for the basking spot, your temps do reflect what is commonly posted, but for babies, 85 F is recommended. It is a good sign he is basking.
My little guy pretty much basks all day, unless he comes down to look for food. Like said above, even if these changes are made, he will grow out of this cage within a few months. Other than that, this cage Could work.

P.S. Youd also need to take the top glass part off the top, the once side, because UVB does not pass through glass. Do get some pics up though, so we can all yell at you some more.. sike.. ;)

Everything is pretty much set up to what I have researched aside from the glass cage, my boss which was a zoo director for 21 years have suggested all of the ideas I have going into this. The cham is demonstrating good health and is staying in the open not hiding.

My only concern was the feeding.

Last edited:
Unless your boss was a zoo director with 21 years of experience with chameleons, he does not even come close to the combined experience of the people on this forum. There isn't a long term keeper that would agree with what you are doing-so why risk it? We only care about the animals, not ticking off owners even though that often happens. The heat pad is pointless, and the "warm lungs" thing is just, well...not right at all. The caution air motion from the fans is potentially stressing.

keep in mine, chameleons are not "many other reptiles".

TBH, the heating pad just isn't that great.

Everything is pretty much set up to what I have researched aside from the glass cage, my boss which was a zoo director for 21 years have suggested all of the ideas I have going into this. The cham is demonstrating good health and is staying in the open not hiding.

My only concern was the feeding.

If you continue on the way you've been he want be in good health for long. I see it on here all the time and I really feel for the helpless animals that can only do what people do to them. Jann

>.> i worked at a zoo,the director of the zoo typically doesn't over see JACK with the animals, they are everything else.

the person that oversees anials s head of living collections.

Yes I am planning on him growing out of the cage I'm not a idiot, I wouldn't cram an six inch plus herp into a small cage, I have owned many other lizards.

He seems to be doing just fine my only question was about the feeding.

You know that they should be kept in screen cages, but you feel you've solved the problem with fans and a fishtank. You've either just revolutionized the hobby, or there is a strong possibility that the word idiot may be appropriate. People are trying to help you, and you're getting defensive. Saying "I know it should be in a screen cage, but i'm keeping it in a tank" is like saying "I know its a saltwater fish, but I'll put this clownfish in with my goldfish. It seems ok so far"

I'm not trying to attack you, I just grow more and more frustrated every day. These animals are easy to care for if you listen.

That said, if he's not eating today, he will be tomorrow. Babies are hungry, all the time. He may be shy. Put in half a dozen or so, and then leave the animal alone. It could take him a week or more to get used to his cage, your presence will only make it worse. Its best to ignore them except for feedings and waterings in the beginning. Take out any insects he hasn't eaten before he goes to sleep.

You still haven't answered the very important question about lighting. Again, trying to help. These are very highly specialized animals, that the whole world seems to be intent on killing by treating them like other herps. If I listened to a single word my pet store, vet, or friends at the zoo told me about them, my animals would be dead I'm sure.

the zoo i worked out actually killed the chameleons they were keeping. i believe it was a blue bar ambilobe.... it didn't last more then a few weeks..

Most zoos kill chameleons. Responsible zoos won't keep them. Even under the best of care, they can't handle the stress that comes from being on display.

Well he has his degree in herpetology...so I think what he is telling me is correct. As for the heating pad he told me they use it in zoos. I'm not here to argue how I am wrong and everyone on this forum is right. I started this thread to figure out his feeding situation.

This is turning into a situation, Jannb you don't even know me so do not portray me as an evil spirited person by saying "poor helpless animals that can only do what people do to them." I could tell you about some of the poor helpless animals I saw when I was working that the humane society, so don't start with that please.

The lighting is UVA and UVB bulbs.

No I am not getting defensive calling me an idiot might be grounds for getting defensive, I believe ignorant might be the proper word to use. As for saying I am not listening to anything you are saying this is a conversation over the internet I cannot construct a new cage within a matter of minutes between responses.

This is obviously going now where, thanks for some of the help I received in the beginning of this thread, who is to say I haven't been listening?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom