new, and babies not eating?

Buggzter

Hi all, I'm new here and to chams in general... My fiance has had adult veiled chameleons before, and we just got a pair of babies - 2.5 months old. We've only had them for 2 days, but I don't think either has eaten, and I don't know if they have drunk any water or pooped. How can you tell if they have pooped? they are in a 10 gal with numerous plants and vines, uv and heat, misted 3-4 times a day, and the pinheads are in a cup for them to eat from. we're about to go catch some fruit flies from Tony's mom's house, but I want to make sure they are eating... Thanks everyone! :)

Well.. to tell if they have pooped.. just look around the enclosure for poop ;)

Often, when a chameleon is first getting settled in they are nervous and stressed out. This will lead to not eating and drinking. Give them plenty of space and don't handle them at all for a few days. Try not to hover around their cages. Make sure that you are feeding them crickets that are small enough for them to eat (about the length of the space between the cham's eyes). Try moving their cage up higher so they feel more secure.

Your chameleons may benefit from a drip system. When they were young, i had some chameleons that would only drink from the dripper and some that would only drink from misting.

If they continue to not eat and/or poop, a trip to the vet may be in order.

Also, remember that in a month or so you will have to seperate them into their own screened enclosures. This will also greatly reduce stress.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Here's my reply to your same request on kingsnake:

'There's nothing you can do to "make sure" they eat other than providing the appropriate environment for them (size, heat, humidity, plant cover), appropriate size food source, and not stressing them out by too much direct(in their face) observation or handling. A stressed chameleon, especially a stressed baby, may not eat.
Simply keep a constant supply of food available for them during the day and they will eat when they are hungry and only when they feel comfortable enough in their new surroundings.
*Remove the crickets, even if in a feed bowl, at night. Even pinheads can significantly scar baby chameleons by chewing on them while they sleep.* Its happened many times.
Make sure they get plenty of water via a drip system or by misting them several times a day for several minutes.
Dehydration will do them in before lack of eating.
I would put two containers of food in the enclosure so they don't have to travel too far to 'find' the food. Make sure they can see the crickets/fruitflies from their perches. You can do this by placing the feed cup slightly below their favorite places to perch. Once they get comfortable and a bit bigger you can move the feed cup each feeding so that the chameleons have to 'exercise' to get to their food. Chameleons can become complacent and lazy and if the food is always in the same convenient spot, they will not move and therefore not get enough exercise.
But, for these babies, do all you can to make it easy for them.
Again, do not handle them too often. "Falling asleep" in your hand is not really a good thing for your baby. Its great for you and warms your heart, but its not a natural thing for these lizards, so I would not recommend this practice.
Good luck with them.'

Eatting like pigs! lol!

Thanks for the help - the two are gulping the crickets down now. They have chosen this one corner, and take turns to eat the crickets. I have put the crickets in a cup, but they seem to do better with free range - I just keep alot of food for the crickets in the bottom so there isn't a problem. :D They are both bright blue-green, so I'm happy!

Hmm...shouldn't they be separated right about now? Mayb they stress each other out. I know Jackson's can be a little territorial but im not sure about veileds.

Hmm...shouldn't they be separated right about now? Mayb they stress each other out. I know Jackson's can be a little territorial but im not sure about veileds.

Not necessarily. Bugg's chams are still very young, and can be housed together for a little longer before other, seperate housing needs to be considered.

Heika

Back
Top Bottom