Neurotic new pygmy owner here!

OceanStrider

Hi all, I've just gotten myself a CB neonate bearded pygmy chameleon on Saturday, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from keepers more experienced than I? I know that neonates are a little risky, but after researching and having an in depth discussion with the shop owners/breeders I feel that I'm up to the task, but I am still nervous.

She seems to be OK, despite being a little mucky from the moss she came home on, and has been showing all the behaviour I would expect to see. I haven't seen her feed yet, flightless Fruit flies are disappearing and she did a little poop today, but I'm still a little neurotic about it. I’m also getting her some pin head crickets too, they might be easier for her to catch.

I'm following this care sheet’s advice for feeding and setup, matching what I have seen on the internet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/pygmy/
I‘m thinking about putting more sticks in for her too and have a UV on stand by.

And this is her tank at room temp:
11783694_1063365893681590_12295640_o.jpg

Any comments are appreciated. Things I’m particularly concerned about are if this is too big for one pyg, how to tell if she’s eating, and common warning behaviours something is wrong (I know sleeping during the day, rocking, hugging the branches and gaping which she has done none of). Thanks!

I get nuts about my pygmies as well so I hand feed and I free range feed. I like to "cripple" the cricket but still have it moving so my Pygmy don't really have to chase it. It is not really time consuming because these guys don't really eat much. I have three in an exoterra so it is also a little easier then what your setup seems to be.

Back
Top Bottom