Neurological?

Kollinkoehler

Before yall say he’s just mad at me for being out it’s not just when he’s out he does stuff like this in his cage too. I’ll come home and he’ll be just sitting in his food bowl as happy as ever but he’s just a little messed up. In one of the pictures you can see him dragging his back legs like they don’t work but they do so did I just get a special little guy. Also he’s been taken to the vet and he is okay they told me he’s having trouble transition to the new home but I don’t think that’s the case. What are yalls thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9194.jpeg
    IMG_9194.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9193.jpeg
    IMG_9193.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 35
These are the setups for my chams I need a new tree because it’s seasonal that’s why the big cage looks so puny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 30
Hello and welcome! Thank you for sharing photos of your little one and the enclosure. I do have some questions for you:

- How long have you had your little guy and where did you get him?
- Has he always had these symptoms/struggles?
- Did you take him to an exotic vet with chameleon care experience?

Can you send us a video of the behavior you think is neurological?

Lastly, there is a lot that can be in relation to our husbandry, I would suggest filling out the below husbandry form so what we can have all the information on how you care for him. The more we know, the better we can help you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Another thing before I forget, I would remove the water bowl, chameleons get their hydration from the bugs they eat, water from leaves from misting sessions and from high humidity at night. Most of the time they do not recognize standing water as a source to drink from and if you see him in the bowl I would worry that baby may drown in it if he is also experiencing neurological symptoms.

Another thing before I forget, I would remove the water bowl, chameleons get their hydration from the bugs they eat, water from leaves from misting sessions and from high humidity at night. Most of the time they do not recognize standing water as a source to drink from and if you see him in the bowl I would worry that baby may drown in it if he is also experiencing neurological symptoms.
That’s is worm bowl because it’s easier for him to get the worms husbandry is up to date every couple of months I go through the husbandry forms to make sure I’m doing my chams good

Hello and welcome! Thank you for sharing photos of your little one and the enclosure. I do have some questions for you:

- How long have you had your little guy and where did you get him?
- Has he always had these symptoms/struggles?
- Did you take him to an exotic vet with chameleon care experience?

Can you send us a video of the behavior you think is neurological?

Lastly, there is a lot that can be in relation to our husbandry, I would suggest filling out the below husbandry form so what we can have all the information on how you care for him. The more we know, the better we can help you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -
How do I post a video the little guy shakes when he moves. His is a pet store Cham🤦‍♂️ but only because he was 50% it was a deal on all lizards not just him.

That’s is worm bowl because it’s easier for him to get the worms husbandry is up to date every couple of months I go through the husbandry forms to make sure I’m doing my chams good
Got it, I thought you put water in it. Thank you for clarifying.

How do I post a video the little guy shakes when he moves. His is a pet store Cham🤦‍♂️ but only because he was 50% it was a deal on all lizards not just him.
Its ok, one of my babies is a pet store baby as well. I was just curious, sometimes if you got them through a breeder they can be a good asset to you in what may be going on.

You will have to upload the video to another platform like YouTube or Instagram and then share it through that.

Its ok, one of my babies is a pet store baby as well. I was just curious, sometimes if you got them through a breeder they can be a good asset to you in what may be going on.

You will have to upload the video to another platform like YouTube or Instagram and then share it through that.

Like this?

Ok. It’s really odd he if on the ground. Is that where he spends most of his time?

Is it possible to get a video of him on a stick? Or is he unable to stay up?

Ok. It’s really odd he if on the ground. Is that where he spends most of his time?

Is it possible to get a video of him on a stick? Or is he unable to stay up?
Yeah I’ll get a video In a second but he climbs around his cage he just happened to be walking around

Ugh. Yes something is going on with him for sure. He doesn’t look stable on a branch at all so I’d be careful with him being in the bigger enclosure until you know more about what is going on with him.

Do you know what kind of uvb lighting he got or supplements?

@Beman @MissSkittles - any feedback on how to help this little guy?

Ugh. Yes something is going on with him for sure. He doesn’t look stable on a branch at all so I’d be careful with him being in the bigger enclosure until you know more about what is going on with him.

Do you know what kind of uvb lighting he got or supplements?

@Beman @MissSkittles - any feedback on how to help this little guy?
It’s whatever petco used but I’m using the correct lighting and supplements now. I mean his is not sick and he loves being handled he eats and drinks all normal but his equilibrium is just off

It’s whatever petco used but I’m using the correct lighting and supplements now. I mean his is not sick and he loves being handled he eats and drinks all normal but his equilibrium is just off
I know you say that you are using the correct everything, but could you humor me and post pics of your supplements and tell me how often each is used? Has there been any chemicals used in your home recently - like pesticides, paints, nail polish remover, scented sprays, etc?

I know you say that you are using the correct everything, but could you humor me and post pics of your supplements and tell me how often each is used? Has there been any chemicals used in your home recently - like pesticides, paints, nail polish remover, scented sprays, etc?
Yeah so I haven’t used any chemicals in my room since or while I’ve had my chams my supplements are calcium dusted on food every day and then calcium with d3 twice a month

I am willing to bet this is directly related to incorrect supplementation and UVB lighting. His shaking is what they will do with MBD as well. They have to have the correct calcium for muscle function. Without it they can have tremors. So that is why you will see this a lot with MBD due to them not having correct UVB and or supplementation.

I would not have him out moving around like that. The tremors and him not knowing what he is actually grabbing is dangerous. I would keep him in his enclosure. But the enclosure has to be set up correctly with a lot of branches that include horizontals. He needs to have multiple grip areas so if he does lose his balance he is able to catch himself.

I know you said you are using the correct UVB and supplements but I highly recommend we review this as well. But with big box stores they almost always have incorrect UVB lighting and almost always only supplement with calcium with D3. This can further MBD as well and cause D3 toxicity. This is why it is so important to ensure your lighting and distance is correct and your supplementation is on point.

Back
Top Bottom