Nero help with panther chameleon

Aidancfol

I have had this chameleon for 5-6 months and the other week he fell and I haven’t been able to get him to eat he has been drinking but he has been down low and I put a new basking bulb in but it really didn’t change anything I thought his cage temps were a little low so I got the new light

image.jpg
image.jpg

Smooth branches and thick stems seem a bit hard for him to climb/grasp to me. Are you sure he isn't just having trouble getting a grip anywhere?

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the forum I would fill out the form that was posted above for you with as much detail as possible. Also can you take a pic of the top of the cage so we can see what type of lighting you are using?

he’s a male and he’s a year old. I have had him for 5 almost 6 months. I do not handle him. I mainly feed him Dubai roaches offer him food 4 times a week but I have tried crickets and meal worms too. I use flukers calcium with d3 and rep-cal multivitamin. I use the multi vitamin 3 of the 4 days and calcium 2 times a month. He has a automatic mister I must 3 times a day 9 minutes in the morning 12 in the afternoon 9 when it’s later. His decal has been white but it’s been kinda liquidity it used not to be. The cage is 33x23x42. It’s a metal screen front and top. The basking bulb is a zoo med 150w. The uv bulb is zoo med reptisun t8 20 inch. The lights turn on at 7 am and turn off at 7pm. In the bottom of the cage is in the low 70 to 70. The middle is about 75-80 then his basking is in areas is 90- 105. Humidity is about 40 but humidity is very hard to keep
In my cage. I have a zoo med temp and humidity gage. I have a umbrella plant and a hanging plant. I just had to change the umbrella because 1 of the 3 trees in it died. The placement is in a back living room that I am the only person that goes back there really. I live in Indiana at the bottom. The problem I’m concerned about is he is a year old now so I know he is going to slow down on eating. He has been slipping on vines and he was on the front screen cage sleeping about a week ago and fell from half way. He just started to walk all over the cage before that happened now he’s been down low. I haven’t seen him eat in like 3 weeks but I always have free range food in the Che because I get home from school at 3. He drinks and everything and he hasn’t shed since I got him.

he’s a male and he’s a year old. I have had him for 5 almost 6 months. I do not handle him.

I mainly feed him Dubai roaches offer him food 4 times a week but I have tried crickets and meal worms too.

Meal worms aren't a great food, I would stick with the roaches. I assume 4 times a week means every other day.

I use flukers calcium with d3 and rep-cal multivitamin. I use the multi vitamin 3 of the 4 days and calcium 2 times a month.

Okay so your schedule should be calcium w/o d3 every day, calcium w/ d3 once every two weeks(twice a month) , and multivitamins once every two weeks (twice a month). Alternate. (One week d3, one week multivitamin, one week d3, one week multivitamin.)

OR

Grab some Repashy LoD calcium plus. Dust with it every day.

He has a automatic mister I must 3 times a day 9 minutes in the morning 12 in the afternoon 9 when it’s later.

I would mist for less... I would mist for 2-4 minutes in the morning, 2-5 minutes in the evening, and maybe 1-2 SHORT mistings during the day to keep up the humidity during the day, since you said you were already having trouble with that.

His decal has been white but it’s been kinda liquidity it used not to be.

I would get him tested for parasites asap. Collect a fresh fecal sample and keep it in a cool place. Get it to the vet within 24 hours.

The cage is 33x23x42. It’s a metal screen front and top.

The basking bulb is a zoo med 150w. The uv bulb is zoo med reptisun t8 20 inch. The lights turn on at 7 am and turn off at 7pm.

I would bump down your basking to a 75-100 watt. For your uvb you are on the right track... but you will want a T5ho 5.0 fluorescent bulb instead of your t8.

In the bottom of the cage is in the low 70 to 70. The middle is about 75-80 then his basking is in areas is 90- 105.

For a panther chameleon the basking spot should be 85-90. 105 is way, way too hot.

Humidity is about 40 but humidity is very hard to keep
In my cage. I have a zoo med temp and humidity gage.

Make sure you have thermometer and humidity gauges with a cord and probe, not the circle dials.

I have a umbrella plant and a hanging plant. I just had to change the umbrella because 1 of the 3 trees in it died.

You need to add more plants and branches to your setup... there isn't enough foliage and places for him to perch. Make sure you get thinner Branches of different diameters (but not too thin) and place them all over his cage so he can easily climb around. He is probably stressed out because there isn't enough climbing branches and foliage in his cage.

For branches, you dont need to buy them. Just go outside and find some. Avoid anything with sap, such as pine and cedar. Bring them inside and scrub with a bit of soap and rinse, then pour boiling water over them, then cold, then boiling, then cold, then boiling, and then dry them.

Likely died because of overwatering or no plant lights. Plant lights by SANSI are great.

The placement is in a back living room that I am the only person that goes back there really. I live in Indiana at the bottom.

The problem I’m concerned about is he is a year old now so I know he is going to slow down on eating. He has been slipping on vines and he was on the front screen cage sleeping about a week ago and fell from half way. He just started to walk all over the cage before that happened now he’s been down low. I haven’t seen him eat in like 3 weeks but I always have free range food in the Che because I get home from school at 3. He drinks and everything and he hasn’t shed since I got him.

I would be very concerned about parasites, or some other illness. You need to get him to a vet, along with a fecal test.

IMHO your branches are too slick and he can't get a proper grip. If you replace them with branches with bark on them and he's still sitting low in the cage then he's likely injured himself falling and needs to see a vet. You need to figure this out quickly IMHO, because if he's sitting low he can't bask and can't get proper UVB.

Is he pooping?

@Ares05 has addressed other issues.

IMHO your branches are too slick and he can't get a proper grip. If you replace them with branches with bark on them and he's still sitting low in the cage then he's likely injured himself falling and needs to see a vet. You need to figure this out quickly IMHO, because if he's sitting low he can't bask and can't get proper UVB.

Is he pooping?

@Ares05 has addressed other issues.
He pooped like 4 or 5 days ago

Back
Top Bottom