Nepenthes care and benefits

jackthejellydragon

Avid Member
I have really been wanting to get a nepenthes and put in my adult veiled cham cage, but I have a few questions. I am wondering which nepenthes I should get I have lower temps around 70 degrees ambient temp and 50 to 60 percent humidity. I have a sansi led light that I can move to work with nepenthes. Which nepenthes do you recommend and how should I take care of it. I do not have anywhere near me to buy it so do you guys know any reputable people to buy from. How do you guys have yours setup. where do you recommend putting it, will have pictures below for you to tell me. I was thinking replacing that fake plant with pothus or nepenthes but he sleeps there and goes there when he Is scared so I am leaning towards pothus in that spot but that empty dragon ledge is probably a good spot and easy for me to care for it.
AD32S191205Hjz6O.jpg
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5677.jpg

Hi, there! I just have a husbandry comment: veileds should only have live, veiled-tested plants in their enclosure. Fake plants are an impaction risk, which can lead to death.

Hi, there! I just have a husbandry comment: veileds should only have live, veiled-tested plants in their enclosure. Fake plants are an impaction risk, which can lead to death.
I do know that and that Is why I am trying to replace it. He does not try to eat plants, it is really hard and when he was little I kept it because it was his main source of foliage. I know its bad and I am looking to replace. Thank you for the concern though.:)

My nepenthes thrived mounted higher up, under the lights and misters. They MUST have distilled or RO water, mineral/spring/tap will kill them. The substrate also has to be correct, I grew mine mostly in sphagnum. They can be prone to dying from over and under watering. I got mine from my local nursery and California carnivores online, both of which did well. Can't remember the species, but usually if you order online they'll have in the description how difficult it is and what the care requirements are. Some are very touchy, others are fairly hardy. Also look into the differences between highland and lowland and try to find something that fits your set up. They're amazing plants, but have specific care.

Basically, both from reading and personal experience, keeping carnivorous plants of any type is a challenge to some, like keeping chameleons, while others might have a natural knack for it. I bought a venus fly trap as a kid and it survived for over 5 years, only died when it decided to try and flower, which is very taxing for the plant. Currently I have some Nepenthes in quarantine in preparation for a bioactive build. And some venus flytraps for a carnivorous plant bioactive terrarium I plan on setting up.
16216360181285725252947681433380.jpg

They are Nepenthes alata, and it is just started to produce pitchers, biggest is around 2" although it can grow pitchers up to 8".

Last edited:
I wanted to get it but never got my hands on it
It's a good one, but I haven't looked through it in awhile. Should have when my one nepenthes was mysteriously dying. There's also a good forum for carnivorous plants, I think its called flytrap or something(been a while). Very active though

Only thing I can add is that the conditions for a Veiled Chameleon might be too low of a humidity for a Nepenthes to successfully produce pitchers as it requires enough humidity and light to do so.

It's a good one, but I haven't looked through it in awhile. Should have when my one nepenthes was mysteriously dying. There's also a good forum for carnivorous plants, I think its called flytrap or something(been a while). Very active though
How are your pitchers doing? I remember seeing you had some in your enclosure 🤔

@jackthejellydragon upon further research, the species Nepenthes alata may be suitable as it's more versatile than other species of the genus. Should tolerate less light and humidity and still produce pitchers, but they will be smaller in size. Honestly the best advice I can give is do research on the habitat of various species of Nepenthes and see what lives in conditions most similar to a Veiled chameleon.

How are your pitchers doing? I remember seeing you had some in your enclosure 🤔
Well I took the enclosure down, had them a few years, but accidentally killed them when I moved. I put them in my garage over the winter and made a little greenhouse with a space heater, but the humidity and lighting was lacking. Most of my plants weren't happy, but survived... the nepenthes seemed to be permanently damaged though 🙁

Back
Top Bottom