Neonate Prolapse Help

The question now is will it prolapse again when it poops next time.
I think I would give it a bit of baby food pears with the food and soft insects when you start it back on "real" food.

Hope this comes out well in the end!

Critical care is a semi to complete liquid food we use to feed animals that are unable to eat normally, or recovering from a severe medical trauma. Your vet can get this for you.

https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Ca...MInsTqtI3N6AIVAz0MCh0UcwQsEAQYBCABEgJBivD_BwE

You can order it there, but the recommendation and supporting your vet maybe more helpful in the long run.

In regards to hydration, your vet can do sub Q fluids if your worried as well.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons I can't really tell you much further, in regards to the medical care to give your animal.

Thank for your replies! I followed up with the vet on Friday and she told me to start the little one on Reptaboost or Carnivore Care. So, as you both know, you were right.

I picked up the Reptaboost. The vet told me she could give me Carnivore Care, but I found it much more convenient to get the Reptaboost since the vet is about an hour away with no traffic.

I started the little one on the Reptaboost yesterday. I did what I thought was correct with the directions the Reptaboost provided. It essentially said one dose is 0.2cc's for chameleons weighing 1g. I made a little tree with a twig to weigh the little one and it was just under 1g. With that, I figured 0.1cc's would be ok.

I gave it its meds and provided the Reptaboost and there's been a couple things that I'm concerned about since.

First, last night it pooped for the first time. The urate was very orange, which is concerning to me since I was giving it pedialite. Usually orange urates indicate that the chameleon is dehydrated. The second part of the dropping was the normal brown color. Then there was a third part which is a mystery to me.

Second, since it pooped, it's been a very dark color making me feel that it's stressed and there's something internally that's not right. It is still climbing normally and doesn't seem any weaker. However, I have noticed that it seems to be sleeping from time to time during the day.

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9761 2.jpg

IMG_9796.jpg

The urate could be orange if the poop sat inside it for a few days.

The rest of what came out of it is a little odd...but you've been giving it a liquid diet.

I don't know why the color could have changed either. Is its behaviour the same as before?

The urate could be orange if the poop sat inside it for a few days.

The rest of what came out of it is a little odd...but you've been giving it a liquid diet.

I don't know why the color could have changed either. Is its behaviour the same as before?
It is quite odd. I would not personally be as worried if that third part wasn't there. It kind of had some egg salk/yolk consistency. What are the odds that it would still be inside it a week and some change later?

I have noticed that it behaves normally when awake. Still very dark colors though. I wonder if it has to do with it's body temperature dropping from the liquids I'm administering? I lightly breathed on it with some warm breath today and noticed it kind of perk up a bit. It didn't run away in fear of my mouth, though, so idk.

IMG_9873.jpg

Are the fluids cold or room temp?
Everything is room temp. I use room temp RO water for the Reptaboost and hold the loaded syringe in my hand for about a minute to make it a bit warmer. I'm afraid of using something warmer since it's so tiny. I don't want to over heat the baby.

What's the cage temperature?
I wouldn't use warmer either.

I have ambient temps in the room around 75 and then I’m using the t8 light as a basking lamp. No additional heat.

I do have some news that no one will want to hear. I checked on the baby before going into the office today and noticed it looked really sucked up and stressed. Due to this, I left it alone. I came home tonight and checked in on it. Unfortunately, it had passed through the threshold to the chameleon afterlife.

Thank you everyone that contributed to this. I have solace knowing we did everything we could have done and understand this stuff happens.

Sorry to hear that you lost it...but I'm it really surprised. Prolapse get at that age usually means there is something else going on IMHO.
You gave it a good chance...that's all you can do.

Back
Top Bottom