Neonate Prolapse Help

I wouldn't mist it with it. It's so small you're going to have to be careful. A pipette will certainly give it too much at once... even touching the pipette to the end of its lips might give it too big of a drop. I'd like to say a tiny drop on a toothpick touched onto the tip of its lips would work, but I'm worried about it thrashing or moving suddenly and the toothpick jabbing it.

Are you still going to he vets Monday?

@salty dog how is it you think the yolk sac is connected through the cloaca?

Their egg sacks also connect through the cloaca, some of my babies has taken a full week + to dry out and fall off
Dude, your a breeder, you should know this.
0A23ED0C-CA56-4E7C-8915-CF86EE306D04.png

I wouldn't mist it with it. It's so small you're going to have to be careful. A pipette will certainly give it too much at once... even touching the pipette to the end of its lips might give it too big of a drop. I'd like to say a tiny drop on a toothpick touched onto the tip of its lips would work, but I'm worried about it thrashing or moving suddenly and the toothpick jabbing it.

Are you still going to he vets Monday?

@salty dog how is it you think the yolk sac is connected through the cloaca?

Okay that’s a good idea of how much I should be providing. Maybe I’ll use some sandpaper on the end to make it round and dull. And wash off the saw dust of course

Yes I still have the vet appointment Monday.

Dude, your a breeder, you should know this. View attachment 262004

Were you directing this at me?

Okay that’s a good idea of how much I should be providing. Maybe I’ll use some sandpaper on the end to make it round and dull. And wash off the saw dust of course

Yes I still have the vet appointment Monday.

Were you directing this at me?
Why would you think that?

@kinyonga

Used a sharp utility knife to carve down a dowel and used sand paper on the tip to ensure it was dull. Pressed my finger as hard as I could against the tip to make sure it wasn’t sharp. Cleaned it off and got the lil one to consume a drop of unflavored Pedialite.
Just have to get through the next 13.5 hours before this lil one gets some help from the vet. Also applied some more KY to the wound.

Attachments

• 8A9B7A77-8847-4DA9-92AA-983EF2F37FE9.jpeg
    8A9B7A77-8847-4DA9-92AA-983EF2F37FE9.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 96
@kinyonga

Used a sharp utility knife to carve down a dowel and used sand paper on the tip to ensure it was dull. Pressed my finger as hard as I could against the tip to make sure it wasn’t sharp. Cleaned it off and got the lil one to consume a drop of unflavored Pedialite.
Just have to get through the next 13.5 hours before this lil one gets some help from the vet. Also applied some more KY to the wound.
Phew! You scared me there for a second lol couldn’t get to the end fast enough

@jannb @kinyonga @AmandaS @salty dog @Brodybreaux25

Just got finished at the vet.
We did good y’all. The vet said the prolapse was still moist today when they tried to fix it.
Yes, tried. Since the lil one is so tiny they couldn’t apply any sutures. When the prolapse was put back inside the body it would come back out moments later. This was partially due to it being inflamed.

I asked the doc if she’d looked at it under magnifying lens of sorts. Essentially, I asked her if it looked damaged and her answer was that it’s not damaged. I asked if it was a hemipenis or anus/intestine. She said it was the intestine.

The doc prescribed enrofloxacin (antibiotic) and meloxicam (anti-inflammatory) both qdaily
She also informed me to keep using sugar water and KY to help with inflammation and keep it moist. She gave me some IV needle sleeves to help push the prolapse back into the cloaca.

Now I’m just going to have a challenge getting the lil one to take a drop of both of these medications. Any suggestions would be useful. Going to keep using my stick thing to drop the medications on its lips and hopefully it gets the idea.

I’m aware that complications this early are not good signs for the future. I’m in acceptance that the lil one may not make it long term. I mean things like this happen in nature, that’s part of the reason chams lay such large quantities of eggs right? That does not mean that I’m not going to try to do everything in my power to save it. Thank you for your help everyone!

Glad you got it to the vets but it's too bad that it won't stay in. I'm worried about it being able to pass feces because it's inflamed. Hopefully the meds will help. Did the vet say anything about feeding the chameleon..what or how?

I think the lip think would be the easiest way to get the meds in...as long as it al goes in and doesn't drip off.

Good luck...keep us posted.

Good luck! You are doing a great job.

Thank you, Amanda!

Glad you got it to the vets but it's too bad that it won't stay in. I'm worried about it being able to pass feces because it's inflamed. Hopefully the meds will help. Did the vet say anything about feeding the chameleon..what or how?

I think the lip think would be the easiest way to get the meds in...as long as it al goes in and doesn't drip off.

Good luck...keep us posted.

You are correct. I did forget that one detail. I followed up with the vet and she confirms that only liquids right now is the way to go. She suggested to keep using the pedialite or using Fluker's Reptaboost. I'm sticking with the pedialite for now unless we think the Reptaboost is a better option.

The administration of the meds and pedialite has been challenging. The baby won't open its mouth and I have a feeling everything has been dripping down its belly and has not been getting ingested.

As difficult as it was for me, I had to force feed the babe pedialite and the medicine today. I VERY lightly held it between my index finger and used the plastic IV needle covers that the vet provided to open its mouth. Once I did this, I was able to administer the medications and a drop or two of the pedialite. Afterward, it was fine, lightly colored (as opposed to dark stress indicating colors) and wanted to crawl around on my hands and arms as usual. Once back in the enclosure, it crawled around and went back to the same behavior I've observed beforehand. The tip of it's mouth was a bit black after feeding and medicating, but I feel bruises are a very small cost for the cham to pay to save its life. I'm open to better suggestions for administration of the meds and pedialite.

@Dbash44 I think that it's awesome that you are working so hard to take care of this little one! I am rooting for you and the baby chameleon!

Thank you! It would hurt my heart too much to just let the cham pass. I know there are unfortunate things such as this that happen in the wild, but it just seems wrong to not help it if I have the opportunity. For me, saving a life supersedes making money. If it makes it through, I do plan to find it a great home so we shall see. Still on the fence with it, though, because I don't want to give someone a critter that might be prone to passing easier. I have a feeling that the prolapse is foreshadowing further complications. Like I said, we shall see.

I used to just ease the meds in between the lips and the teeth most of the time...but that takes more time because, unless you're lucky and it opens its mouth, you have to keep doing just a bit at a time.

Good luck!

Make sure you get food and water into the cham, meloxicam can damage the liver if the animal won't eat or drink.

Also if your force feeding, see if your vet has critical care for carnivorous animals and use that.

Just make sure your very careful not to aspirate the animal.

Also all the chameleons I treated figured out really quick that gaping equalled nasty meds and they stopped... Very frustrating and amusing at the same time.

@kinyonga

Today I gave the cham some meds, pedialite and applied more sugar water to it's bum. At this time, I noticed the prolapse was gone mostly. Not sure if it's getting better or if maybe it was rubbed off? Here's some pics. The lil one is still all kinds of squirrely.

IMG_9619.jpeg

IMG_9627.jpeg

IMG_9645.jpeg

IMG_9660.jpeg

Make sure you get food and water into the cham, meloxicam can damage the liver if the animal won't eat or drink.

Also if your force feeding, see if your vet has critical care for carnivorous animals and use that.

Just make sure your very careful not to aspirate the animal.

Also all the chameleons I treated figured out really quick that gaping equalled nasty meds and they stopped... Very frustrating and amusing at the same time.

I'm using plain pedialite in place of food and water. It's enclosure if misted for 15 seconds a couple times of day. This covers the entirety of the enclosure. I would think it's got enough water if the pedialite isn't enough. You're welcome to tell me otherwise.

What is Critical Care? I can make an educational guess, but if you tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

Whenever I give the babe it's meds I made sure to do one at a time, let him run around and swallow, and then do the next one. And yes you were right, it was being diffiult today. Fortunately, I won the mouth opening battle with a lot of patience and was successful.

The question now is will it prolapse again when it poops next time.
I think I would give it a bit of baby food pears with the food and soft insects when you start it back on "real" food.

Hope this comes out well in the end!

I'm using plain pedialite in place of food and water. It's enclosure if misted for 15 seconds a couple times of day. This covers the entirety of the enclosure. I would think it's got enough water if the pedialite isn't enough. You're welcome to tell me otherwise.

What is Critical Care? I can make an educational guess, but if you tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

Whenever I give the babe it's meds I made sure to do one at a time, let him run around and swallow, and then do the next one. And yes you were right, it was being diffiult today. Fortunately, I won the mouth opening battle with a lot of patience and was successful.

Critical care is a semi to complete liquid food we use to feed animals that are unable to eat normally, or recovering from a severe medical trauma. Your vet can get this for you.

https://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Ca...MInsTqtI3N6AIVAz0MCh0UcwQsEAQYBCABEgJBivD_BwE

You can order it there, but the recommendation and supporting your vet maybe more helpful in the long run.

In regards to hydration, your vet can do sub Q fluids if your worried as well.

Unfortunately, for legal reasons I can't really tell you much further, in regards to the medical care to give your animal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom