Neonate Jackson now having issues with tongue and eating

Action

Help!!!!
My neonate jackson stopped eating.....he seems like he wants to eat, but his tongue wont come fully out of his mouth.
A little history..... He was born June 1, so he is now 12 days old. A friend of mine gave him to me bc he couldnt take care of him. When he first gave him to me 6 days ago, Action was thriving! my friend gave me some crickets (that were way too big) action didnt care he munched them anyway. He ate those for the first day until i made it to the otherside of the island to get him pinhead crickets. Action was stoked on the pinheads he crushed 4 the first day and 5 the next. the 4th day is when he couldnt use his tongue anymore. so for two days he didnt eat. So today i hand fed him 3 crickets so he didnt wither away. He is outside (Maui) in a fully screened cage. there is a hibiscus plant in there for him to climb about on and im constantly sparying his cage.
I dont know what else to do!!!!????
could he of gotten hurt by one of the larger crickets?
could he of gotten too much calcium?
Maybe not enough water (even though its there for him all day, drip system as well as sparying cage)????
Please Help! I want my baby to make it!!!!!

I would just continue to hand feed him if he will let you. It sounds like maybe some type of injury to the little guy. Maybe if he was out in the cage outside he could have eaten something that stung him? Just a thought... Usually when they stop using their tongue abruptly, it is more than likely an injury. Hopefully if it is that, it will heal on its own where he can use it again.

Help!!!!
could he of gotten hurt by one of the larger crickets?
As Carol mentioned, that is one strong possibility but there are also others.
Injury from something else, too little calcium or other vitamin/mineral or too much are also possible culprits.
could he of gotten too much calcium?
Where is he getting calcium from?
Crickets are typically calcium-deficient.
Try to get hold of some other feeders, too.
One that is often used for neonates is flightless fruit flies.
Some frog keepers use these and they may be available near you.
My local Petco carries them.

AFAIK, supplements are only sparingly used on feeders for neonates--and even more sparingly for Jackson's.
A well balanced, vitamin and calcium rich diet for your crickets would be wise.

Exactly how often to supplement and which supplements are best?
I'm sorry but I do not know the answer and hope that a very experienced Jackson's cham breeder will chime in.
I need to know the answer, too.

Maybe not enough water (even though its there for him all day, drip system as well as sparying cage)????
It doesn't sound like it.

Please Help! I want my baby to make it!!!!!

We'll be rooting for your baby cham, too!

Back
Top Bottom