Nekton MSA supplement

ChamLover04

Hello, could someone more experienced please check out Nekton MSA supplement and give me a second opinion on whether it can be used daily because it contains D3 which I read shouldn’t be used daily, but like twice a month. Even though it says on the information about the product it can be used daily and the guy I got the chameleon from says it’s ok. Also I have just calcium supplement so that is covered I’m just curious about this.

Hello, could someone more experienced please check out Nekton MSA supplement and give me a second opinion on whether it can be used daily because it contains D3 which I read shouldn’t be used daily, but like twice a month. Even though it says on the information about the product it can be used daily and the guy I got the chameleon from says it’s ok. Also I have just calcium supplement so that is covered I’m just curious about this.
Going to need a picture of the bottle to make sure I’m seeing the right product. From what I see, the D3 levels are low enough to be used every day, 10000ius/kg is pretty low. However, I’m not sure this is an ideal supplement as it contains almost as much phosphorus as it does calcium. This is a supplement for both birds and reptiles, and I think one dedicated to reptiles is more appropriate.

Going to need a picture of the bottle to make sure I’m seeing the right product. From what I see, the D3 levels are low enough to be used every day, 10000ius/kg is pretty low. However, I’m not sure this is an ideal supplement as it contains almost as much phosphorus as it does calcium. This is a supplement for both birds and reptiles, and I think one dedicated to reptiles is more appropriate.
This is the one. The one I’m using currently with every feeding is JBL MicroCalcium, was just wondering how Nekton MSA compares to it regarding every day feeding.

Attachments

• 9AD0309D-07CA-40A8-9145-506F0E004B0F.jpeg
    9AD0309D-07CA-40A8-9145-506F0E004B0F.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 71
Can you post a photo of the back of his bottle so I can see the ingredients/nutrients in the powder please?

I think I would change powders. There are several methods of providing the nutrients your chameleon needs to it...you can use something like Repashy LoD or you can use three powders that will do the same thing. I've used the three powders for years...so I have no experience with the Repashy but many people on here have used it. the Repashy you use daily and the powders you need and their usage is as follows...you need a phos free calcium powder to dust on,the insects just before feeding the, to the chameleon lightly at almost every feeding to help make up for the often poor ratio of calcium to phos found in most feeder insects. You need a phos free calcium/D3 powder to dust lighhtly on the insects twice a month to ensure the chameleon gets some D3 but leaving it time produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB light we provide. D3from supplements can build up in the system which is why we do it this way. D3 produced from the UVB exposure is safe as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will. I also use a vitamin powder lightly twice a month that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources won't build up in the system like prEformed sources will so this leaves it up to you to decide if/when your chameleon needs some prEformed.

So in addition to the dusting you need proper UVB, proper basking and cage temperatures, proper feeding/gutloading of the insects, etc. If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can check to see if you need to make any changes. A couple of photos of your cage and chameleon would help too.

Hope this helps!

I think I would change powders. There are several methods of providing the nutrients your chameleon needs to it...you can use something like Repashy LoD or you can use three powders that will do the same thing. I've used the three powders for years...so I have no experience with the Repashy but many people on here have used it. the Repashy you use daily and the powders you need and their usage is as follows...you need a phos free calcium powder to dust on,the insects just before feeding the, to the chameleon lightly at almost every feeding to help make up for the often poor ratio of calcium to phos found in most feeder insects. You need a phos free calcium/D3 powder to dust lighhtly on the insects twice a month to ensure the chameleon gets some D3 but leaving it time produce the rest from its exposure to the UVB light we provide. D3from supplements can build up in the system which is why we do it this way. D3 produced from the UVB exposure is safe as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB at will. I also use a vitamin powder lightly twice a month that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. PrOformed sources won't build up in the system like prEformed sources will so this leaves it up to you to decide if/when your chameleon needs some prEformed.

So in addition to the dusting you need proper UVB, proper basking and cage temperatures, proper feeding/gutloading of the insects, etc. If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can check to see if you need to make any changes. A couple of photos of your cage and chameleon would help too.

Hope this helps!

• Your Chameleon - Panther chameleon, male
  • Handling - Avoiding it atm, letting him get used to relatively new surroundings
  • Feeding - lateralis roaches, just started eating crickets also
  • Supplements - JBL MicroCalcium (Repashy plus LoD was actually my first choice, but they didn’t have any left)
  • Watering - Misting manually 3-4 times a day and he drinks regularly
  • Fecal Description - Normal, brown stool and white piss part
  • History - I wasn’t given any info about the chameleon
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, 24”x24”x48”
  • Lighting - Arcadia ProT5 14% UVB, Arcadia 50W solar basking spotlight E27
  • Temperature - Day - cage temp is 25-26.5°C and basking temp is around 29°, night - around 22.5°C. Measuring it with TerraControl Solar
    Humidity - 50-60%, regularly misting. Measuring it with TerraControl Solar, using a fogger also
  • Plants - Schefflera arboricola
  • Location - Croatia (northern part), Europe

Also, just to be clear, I’m NOT using Nekton MSA now, but I do have it now and that’s why I asked about it. I’m using just the JBL MicroCalcium one and I also have JBL TerraVit which I will use about once every 2 weeks.

I'm not familiar with JBL products...don't know their content.
Can you show the ingredients list for them both please?

• Handling - Avoiding it atm, letting him get used to relatively new surroundings
  • Feeding - lateralis roaches, just started eating crickets also Crickets and roaches are good staple feeders because they are easy to feed and gutload. I feed/gutload them with dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc and veggies such as squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, etc and a tiny bit of fruit such as apples, pears, melon, berries.
  • Supplements - JBL MicroCalcium (Repashy plus LoD was actually my first choice, but they didn’t have any left I gave you info on the powders already and as I said in one post need more info on the ones you are using.
  • Watering - Misting manually 3-4 times a day and he drinks regularly I would set up a dripper as well...you just need a deli cup with a tiny hole poked in the bottom so it drips at the rate of one or two drops per second.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Arcadia ProT5 14% UVB, Arcadia 50W solar basking spotlight E27 I use the long linear Reptisun 5.0 tube UVB light ...it's most often recommended.
  • Temperature - Day - cage temp is 25-26.5°C and basking temp is around 29°, night - around 22.5°C. Measuring it with TerraControl Solar
    Humidity - 50-60%, regularly misting. Measuring it with TerraControl Solar, using a fogger also
  • Plants - Schefflera arboricola make sure any branches you use are nontoxic...panthers are known to nibble on them sometimes.

Hope this helps!

I'm not familiar with JBL products...don't know their content.
Can you show the ingredients list for them both please?
Here’s a photo of TerraVit’s ingredients and the MicroCalcium is straight up just calcium.

Attachments

• 8D6E0BBB-3DCC-4CD3-9D18-030C78679358.jpeg
    8D6E0BBB-3DCC-4CD3-9D18-030C78679358.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 86
  • Feeding - lateralis roaches, just started eating crickets also Crickets and roaches are good staple feeders because they are easy to feed and gutload. I feed/gutload them with dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc and veggies such as squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potatoes, zucchini, carrots, etc and a tiny bit of fruit such as apples, pears, melon, berries.
  • Supplements - JBL MicroCalcium (Repashy plus LoD was actually my first choice, but they didn’t have any left I gave you info on the powders already and as I said in one post need more info on the ones you are using.
  • Watering - Misting manually 3-4 times a day and he drinks regularly I would set up a dripper as well...you just need a deli cup with a tiny hole poked in the bottom so it drips at the rate of one or two drops per second.
Cage Info:
  • Lighting - Arcadia ProT5 14% UVB, Arcadia 50W solar basking spotlight E27 I use the long linear Reptisun 5.0 tube UVB light ...it's most often recommended.
  • Plants - Schefflera arboricola make sure any branches you use are nontoxic...panthers are known to nibble on them sometimes.

Hope this helps!
Schefflera is safe, I looked it up at FLchams list. Also planning to get a ficus benjamin real soon, would you recommend washing the leaves with soapy water or is just water enough?

I can't be sure...I've never used either. Hopefully someone else on here will have an answer for you.
Have you used Arcadia supplements maybe? And if I go with Repashy calcium plus LoD, should i dust with that every day?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom