Neem oil?

timber64

I’m gathering branches fir my new enclosure and someone mentioned I should use neem oil to disinfect them and kill off any bugs, parasites etc. is neem oil safe? Any considerations such as waiting period after using, etc?

Just scrub them down with a brush and hot water and dawn soap. Rinse extremely well and let them bake in the sun. BOOM Branches. If your dealing with smaller branches you can bake them in the oven as well. Use the search function in the forum if you want to find out more info.
I have never heard of using neem oil for branches only plants that have pests.

I’m gathering branches fir my new enclosure and someone mentioned I should use neem oil to disinfect them and kill off any bugs, parasites etc. is neem oil safe? Any considerations such as waiting period after using, etc?
I would not use it. just hot water ,dawn and let them dry or bake in the oven if you worried about bringing in bugs.

I'll offer an alternative--don't clean them. BUT this option is only for people who are sure that there are no pesticides on or around where the branches were collected. If you collected them around your neighborhood, then I would say that you should clean them. But if you collected them out in the "wilderness" far from pesticide use, you are fine placing the branches straight in your cage. Some of the most prominent members in this community opt to not clean them--such as Bill Strand. And to my knowledge, there is no evidence saying that sterilized branches are better.

If you choose to not clean them, you must be confident that there has not been pesticide use in the area. Also, this goes for sterilized and non-sterilized branches--don't choose rotting wood.

I'll offer an alternative--don't clean them. BUT this option is only for people who are sure that there are no pesticides on or around where the branches were collected. If you collected them around your neighborhood, then I would say that you should clean them. But if you collected them out in the "wilderness" far from pesticide use, you are fine placing the branches straight in your cage. Some of the most prominent members in this community opt to not clean them--such as Bill Strand. And to my knowledge, there is no evidence saying that sterilized branches are better.

If you choose to not clean them, you must be confident that there has not been pesticide use in the area. Also, this goes for sterilized and non-sterilized branches--don't choose rotting wood.
I clean them to get the bird crap off... If branches are going in there is always the risk of pests. Mine have wood mites. They feed on the branches and live their happy little lives. And I cleaned my branches. So you are never guaranteed that your not bringing in pests with real wood.
Now if you would have asked me a year ago I would have lost my mind about having anything like this in my enclosures. But with time you realize not everything is bad.

I clean them to get the bird crap off... If branches are going in there is always the risk of pests. Mine have wood mites. They feed on the branches and live their happy little lives. And I cleaned my branches. So you are never guaranteed that your not bringing in pests with real wood.
Now if you would have asked me a year ago I would have lost my mind about having anything like this in my enclosures. But with time you realize not everything is bad.
Totally agree. Remove any poop from the branches before putting them into your enclosure--I think that's a good life rule for anything really ;). Typically I'm poop-averse and just skip those branches.

Totally agree. Remove any poop from the branches before putting them into your enclosure--I think that's a good life rule for anything really ;). Typically I'm poop-averse and just skip those branches.
The Office Laughing GIF

There are different things that can be brought in—usually of 2 categories: biological & chemical.

Biologicals include things like insect* and/or parasite eggs (could be parasites to animals or plants), diseases—probably/usually not harmful to chams (depending on where you live, and unless it came from another chameleon, reptile, or bird) but could be harmful to plants, feeders, or other living organisms in the enclosure or household (should they escape).

* Some of the potentially worst IMO are wood borers (a.k.a woodboring beetles), which can be insidious.

Chemicals include things like pesticides, heavy metals, & other pollutants. Could be from spray, groundwater, absorbed water (in the case of driftwood) or even air pollution over many years/decades. Disinfecting will have little effect on many/most of these.

The best defense against any of these (IMO) is to know your sources of wood and any potential problems that may be hiding in it. Then you can make a more informed decision about selection, protocols, and whether or not to strip bark and/or seal—usually with something like a water-based polyurethane product.

If you're in Canada/US, your local county/provincial cooperative extension is usually your best source of information.

Back
Top Bottom