Need your tactics on giving oral meds.

freshfish

Took my panther to the vet after observing behavior that pointed to a respiratory infection. It started out him rubbing his eyes something fierce for a day or so then Friday I noticed him breathing hard and extra saliva in his mouth. Yesterday I took him in and the vet prescribed me this (Enrofloxacin)
My wife and I are having a heck of a time giving him his medicine! We can not get him to open his mouth for nothing and I know for a fact he didnt get the full dose yesterday. This morning I held him down while my wife tried to give it to him again, I think he pretty much got the full dose but I feel like were killing the poor guy trying to get his mouth to open. I almost wish he would bite me so we could squirt it in! He's such a good boy he won't even get mad at us. And to say the least chameleons are tough to hold down! I've tried to put a drop on a cricket which worked the first time but he didnt go for it the second time:( Any advice would be great. And he's about 6 mths old.

Thanks
Chad

There are some tips on this page that are worth looking over. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/vet/ My favorite way personally is to hand feed and then squirt the medicine in his mouth while he's chewing on the feeder bug or worm. No restraint and no stress. If yours is friendly enough to hand feed that is the way to go imo! Just make sure the syringe is ready before you offer the bug! Super worms or hornworms work well because it takes them a few chews before they swallow.

My chameleon would not eat so I slid a credit card in between his lips and was able to open his mouth this way and it didn't seem to hurt him either.

There are some tips on this page that are worth looking over. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/vet/ My favorite way personally is to hand feed and then squirt the medicine in his mouth while he's chewing on the feeder bug or worm. No restraint and no stress. If yours is friendly enough to hand feed that is the way to go imo! Just make sure the syringe is ready before you offer the bug! Super worms or hornworms work well because it takes them a few chews before they swallow.

Thank you for the link! I think I will try the towel tomorrow for his next dose.

My chameleon would not eat so I slid a credit card in between his lips and was able to open his mouth this way and it didn't seem to hurt him either.

I will use the credit card trick also.

Thanks for responding so fast fellas!

one way is to inject the medicine into a big roach. make sure it gets eaten immediately. Only works if cham has appetite. May need to trick with a favourite feeder, then put the medicated roach (or just the meds direct) into mouth while chewing.

another way is to use forefinger and thumb to gently but firmly grasp the nose of the chameleon, covering the nostrils. This should annoy the animal greatly, such that it gapes/hisses. quickly put medicine into far back of throat. Release.

yet another way is to toss a hand towel over the chameleon, use that to restrain/wrap, uncover only front of head, animal is likely to be a bit agitated, opening mouth to bite or hiss, squirt meds down back of throat (careful not to aspirate)

Last edited:
I inject either a large silkworm or hornworm, but that is of course if the chameleon is eating. If not, then this method is not gonna work!

I couldnt get my boy Floyd to open his mouth at all. I had to give it to him for a week straight and by the 4th day he had figured it out and wouldn't open his mouth. I tried everything, prying his mouth open with my nails, trying to make him mad at me but he would just sit there and stare at me. So what finally worked was I set him down on the floor and stood over him making myself look big and scary and he instinctively opened his mouth and I carefully squirted it in his mouth. Smart little guy. :D

A little update

Last night i thought he looked rough, sitting on his basking perch mostly with his eyes closed. I thought he was going to fall off a couple times. I was pretty freaked out I thought I was going to lose him:( My wife called me today about 2pm and said his color was back and he was cruising around the cage but still scratching his eyes on branches. This made me feel much better. I called the vet back at work and told them he was scratching his eyes and they gave me medicated eye drops for him that I picked up on the way home from work. When I got home he looks 10 times better than yesterday, he's still scratching his eyes quite often though so I started the eye drops today as well. I had to use the towel trick for giving him his oral meds it went much better today . I would also like to thank Bruce from Paradise Chameleons for answering my phone calls and putting up with me , he's a great guy and been a lot of help! I will post a few pictures of him when he feels a little better in a few days. He's a stunning looking baby from Bruce's Kandiroo!

Thanks everyone
Chad

Back
Top Bottom