Need to get my Lizard Back Home

Drew1204

Hi,

I go to college in Arizona. I live in Chicago. I am going back home for the summer and usually drive back home but this time I am flying.

I need a safe way to pack him in my suitcase that will go under the plane as they are not allowed in the carryon. Any ideas on how to pack him safely in my suitcase? I figure this is safer and cheaper as well than shipping him for overnight express shipping since the flight will only be about 4 hours. I leave Tuesday...

Thanks in advance!

P.S. He is a two year old panther chameleon named Chombo :)

It might be cheaper but I don't think it's safer. You'd be much better off shipping him overnight for hold at the Fed Ex station.

I don't know what they would do to you and/or him if they caught you trying to bring him on the plane but I can't imagine it's worth the risk.

I've got to agree with them. They put your bags through x-rays and through belts and everything. The amount it'll cost to ship is honestly well worth it in the long run. You wouldn't want to put him through any harm, not counting the amount of stress that'd put him through, and I am sure you would not want him confiscated either. Just do shipping.

The extreme below 0 temperatures at altitude would kill him after that long of a flight. But that wont be an issue if he doesn't survive the enhanced radiation from the scanners. These scanners are much more powerful than a human xray. Then there is the chance that after the scanner picks shows him, will they let a reptile on the plane with out the proper air fair.

I suggest finding a way to ship.

http://www.reptilesexpress.com/

Must ship

you have to ship him. everybody is right.. he will die in cargo unless it is a plane specifically designed to transport live cargo (aka heated storage or whatever its called) when your 40 000 feet in the air all the cargo under the plane is basically frozen..) the only way he would survive a plane ride is on your person which is not going to happen... have a friend or family member ship him to your new address. :)

Thank you guys for all of the quick replies.

One thing that I don't understand is the difference between FEDEX overnight shipping in a freezing cold airplane, plus would probably have to spend 10+ hours in a box vs 4 hours under the same type of plane, in the same cold. Aren't there heat packs that I can put in the suitcase with him?

It's about $100 to ship him overnight with this company: http://www.reptilesexpress.com/

EDIT: What is the best way to ship? Are there special containers that I need to put him in and probably a heat pack? Perhaps there is an all in one chameleon ship kit :D

Thank you guys for all of the quick replies.

One thing that I don't understand is the difference between FEDEX overnight shipping in a freezing cold airplane, plus would probably have to spend 10+ hours in a box vs 4 hours under the same type of plane, in the same cold. Aren't there heat packs that I can put in the suitcase with him?

It's about $100 to ship him overnight with this company: http://www.reptilesexpress.com/

EDIT: What is the best way to ship? Are there special containers that I need to put him in and probably a heat pack? Perhaps there is an all in one chameleon ship kit :D

Use an insulated box with styrofoam panels and pack him in a cloth bag with paper towel around him so he isnt bouncing off the sides. I use reptilesexpress and that seem really high to me. I ship 3-4 times a week using that service and the most I've paid was $65 and that was for 4 chams in one box.
Using that service or shipyourreptile the boxes are inside the plane so you dont have freezing temps during the flight.

Use an insulated box with styrofoam panels and pack him in a cloth bag with paper towel around him so he isnt bouncing off the sides. I use reptilesexpress and that seem really high to me. I ship 3-4 times a week using that service and the most I've paid was $65 and that was for 4 chams in one box.
Using that service or shipyourreptile the boxes are inside the plane so you dont have freezing temps during the flight.

Thanks for the reply reptoman!

Okay, I only have until Tuesday to ship so I don't think I will be able to get the boxes that they are recommending from their websites fast enough...

Perhaps I could find an insulated box from amazon. What kind of cloth bag are you talking about? Do you seal the bag so he cannot climb out? What size of a box would you buy for shipping a panther chameleon thats about 6 inches in the body + 5 inches for the tail.

One difference is that on a commercial passenger flight "luggage" rides in the areas close to the skin of the plane. To some extent, the luggage provides insulation. With Fed Ex the cargo is in the plane, inside the insulation and fully pressurized (that's another difference, not all luggage compartments are pressurized).

**edited to add**

Amazon can help you: http://www.amazon.com/12x9x6-Insulated-Shipping-Box/dp/B0043XK2OE

Bubble pack can also be your friend!

They sell cloth bags with a drawstring at uline but you could use something as simple as a cheap pillow case tied with a shoe string as long as its tied securely so he cant climb out of the bag.

If you're in a rush, go to any independent shipping company and buy a box the size you need. Then in Home Depot they sell sheets of Styrofoam, these you just cut to line the inside of the box. Then buy a little snake bag or something along those lines. You can usually find all the materials locally except perhaps the heat packs.

Thanks guys for your help.

I am shipping it from phoenix to chicago, and its currently 95 degrees in phoenix and 65 in chicago. I don't think I should use a heat pack...

Definitely no heat pack.

It is well worth your animal's life to use proper packaging, aside from the fact it is required by FedEx to ship.

You can find all the info and details at our site, in the SYR Get Help section:

ShipYourReptiles Get Help section

You can also take advantage of our On-Time and Live Arrival Insurance program.

FedEx cargo does indeed travel inside a pressurized hold, also temperature controlled. It would be a disaster to try and pack it in your luggage, not to mention against airline regulation.

Take the proper steps and you shouldn't have an issue. Contact [email protected] directly if you have questions.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom