Need some help!

TiffWashburn

I purchased my chameleon on Jan 29 21. It’s a male. He has this first shed early February. He had a shed capsule on his eye. I got some stuff to remove it. Well he still didn’t open his eye. I took him to the vet. Got some eye drops. Vet said he had Conjunctivitis. Well now I think the antibiotics are making him worse. I’ve stopped them. He is very lethargic. It seems like “showers” help him.
7B5B1A4A-39A3-4C41-B1E5-20939347A8BA.jpeg
His eyes are sunken in. He looks like he’s actively dying. He’s not eating. I used to be able to hand feed him a couple days ago. I did purchase another female 2/13/21 that’s a lot larger than him. But they don’t have any issues because the eat different size food. His eyes were closed when I purchased her. My dog did chew a hole in the cage and Eivor (that’s his name) was on the floor black, covered in dog hair when I found him. I’m not sure if it’s the trauma from the fall which was about a foot, or my husky had him in his mouth. He does have a lot of bruising on his head. Should I get a smaller enclosure just for him to make sure he’s eating? Please help

Attachments

• B7328D3C-EB93-4AF1-A527-C22BEE5A1AA4.jpeg
    B7328D3C-EB93-4AF1-A527-C22BEE5A1AA4.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 9F19EF22-DAD2-4523-97BE-3AD9AB3FD82D.jpeg
    9F19EF22-DAD2-4523-97BE-3AD9AB3FD82D.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 0AA2F126-784D-445A-93FA-B8C5317ED317.jpeg
    0AA2F126-784D-445A-93FA-B8C5317ED317.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 94
  • D462EF82-0FBA-461B-9EEA-624BE9B66E75.jpeg
    D462EF82-0FBA-461B-9EEA-624BE9B66E75.jpeg
    197.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 38CB78ED-6531-4C9E-BD76-01E5E014C374.jpeg
    38CB78ED-6531-4C9E-BD76-01E5E014C374.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 85
  • 878FA7F7-E203-46C0-9417-555E6FB3FFE4.jpeg
    878FA7F7-E203-46C0-9417-555E6FB3FFE4.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 9B2EA294-1F82-4B97-8D6D-63A1CEE9FF0A.jpeg
    9B2EA294-1F82-4B97-8D6D-63A1CEE9FF0A.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 3D784504-4103-4342-887B-778D705D155D.jpeg
    3D784504-4103-4342-887B-778D705D155D.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 86
Omg please fill this out NOW

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

He does not look good at all! Please fill out the help form provided. I think however a vet visit would be your best bet at this point though. If nothing else, they can give him some fluids.
Do you keep both of your chameleons in the same enclosure? If so, that is a big no. Chameleons need to be kept separately. Keeping them together would be a huge source of chronic stress, which will only impair his health. Do you know if the dog actually had him in his mouth? Regardless, vet visit today.

Omg please fill this out NOW

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, male. I’ve had him couple of months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? 3-4 times a week.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Gut-loaded crickets how ever many he eats. Dubia roaches, wax worms for a snack. Using sweet potatoes, carrots, apples. What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 for every feed except for Sunday. I switch to calcium with d3 and repti vite every other week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a pump mister/sprayer. 2-3 times a day.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? White with orange. Saw it was dry on his tail.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 24x24x48 wooden and mesh screen cage. (My husband built it)
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? It’s the zoo med t5.0 24inch uvb. 75watt (I think) basking lamp
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? It’s always 80 during the 12 hours and it’s down to 69 to 65 at night
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I have a humidity gage. It’s anywhere between 30-45
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? We have 4. Devils ivy, umbrella plant, dragon tree, croton
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is in the living room. Near the heat vent, not really high traffic. It’s about 12inches from the floor. The cage is about 48inches tall, has a table it sits on.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? South east Ohio.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

He does not look good at all! Please fill out the help form provided. I think however a vet visit would be your best bet at this point though. If nothing else, they can give him some fluids.
Do you keep both of your chameleons in the same enclosure? If so, that is a big no. Chameleons need to be kept separately. Keeping them together would be a huge source of chronic stress, which will only impair his health. Do you know if the dog actually had him in his mouth? Regardless, vet visit today
I’m not sure if he was in his mouth, I’m assuming he was. It’s such a large enclosure would that even matter? He’s so little.

I’m not sure if he was in his mouth, I’m assuming he was. It’s such a large enclosure would that even matter? He’s so little.
Yes, it would matter very much to have 2 chameleons in one enclosure. They get stressed even just being able to see another chameleon in the same room. It is a source of chronic stress for both and that can be very harmful to their physical health (lowers their immune systems among other things).

Yes, it would matter very much to have 2 chameleons in one enclosure. They get stressed even just being able to see another chameleon in the same room. It is a source of chronic stress for both and that can be very harmful to their physical health (lowers their immune systems among other things).
Do you think the antibiotics and the trauma with the fall has a lot to do with his issues. His eyes aren’t opening. But you can see them moving.

Your chameleons is on death's doorstep. He needs a good chameleon vet like yesterday... and I'm not sure he'll even make it to the vets at this point.

He's way to skinny, holding his nose up in the air is a bad sign, keeping his eyes shut also can be an indication of impending death as well as his dark coloration.

I would get him out of the cage with other chameleon right away. You've been stressing him out with the presence of the other chameleon and the dog.

Do you think the antibiotics and the trauma with the fall has a lot to do with his issues. His eyes aren’t opening. But you can see them moving.
Chameleons aren't usually hurt by a fall, it's what causes the fall that is important. Chameleons in the wild will jump out of a tree and fall many feet below as a last resort to survival.

That being said, your cham does not look well at all, and the fact that you are thinking the dog possibly had the cham in its mouth is likely more trauma to his body than a fall.

He needs a vet asap. I wish you the best.

Back
Top Bottom