Need some help or some opinions...

Chulavistachild

My velied chamelon is approaching her prey but when she is right in front of the food she just stares at the crickets and opens her mouth? Could she be dehydrated? I mist the cage like 3 times a day and have a big dripper? Please need any advice or opinions what i am doing wrong here? Also here are the vitamins i have? Can someone please tell me if i have the right ones and when i should use each one . Thank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 134
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Please fill out the form with detail... Everything you posted in the supplements can go except the Reptivite with D3. That should be given 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. This will be your multivitamin and your calcium with D3. Then you need to get a plain calcium WITHOUT D3. This would be given at all other feedings.

Chameleon Info:
  1. Your Chameleon - Vieled , female
  2. and age = i think 3months. How long has it been in your care?= 1 month
  3. Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once every other day
  4. Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets , mealworms, waxworms ,fruit flies she really likes things that fly i have seen her eat moths and regular house flys
  5. What amount? About ten crickets in the morning and about 10 or more when i get home
    How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  6. Supplements - supplements are displayed in the picture.What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Schedule is i feed her crickets in the morning before i leave to work and when i get home from work
  7. Watering - i have a hand mister. I use it 3 times daily for about 2 minUtes. Also have a big dripper on top of cage and a a plant that plugs in with a water pump. asrWhat kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Not really
  8. Fecal Description - Briefly note colors brownish and white
    image.jpg
    and consistency from recent droppings.... Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?no​
  9. History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. No other info

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - repti brezze screen on all sidesDescribe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting -
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created
    image.jpg
    (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?
    image.jpg
    How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 2 thematma
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hibiscus and tropical plants i also have the fake ones zoo med sales.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? I stay in an rv and i have its cage in the bathroom shower part what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?im located in chula vista san diego california

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Does not want to reallly eat or drink anything and what does the mouth thing trying to tell me

Attachments

• E8668FF4-15A2-4865-8CCC-543B83380A83.jpeg
    E8668FF4-15A2-4865-8CCC-543B83380A83.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 84
Hi. There are several corrections that you need to make. If they are affecting her eating, I don’t know. It is possible. I do know that in time though, they will be affecting everything.
Attaching feeder and gutloading infographics. Gutloading is important to pass nutrients on to your cham.
Supplements are essential. Basic schedule is phosphorus fee calcium without D3 dusted lightly at each feeding. Once every other week, a feeding with calcium with D3. Once every other week, a feeding with a multivitamin. Is best to alternate these two and not to give together.
You should be feeding only once early in the day so she has time to bask and digest properly. As she gets older (around 6 mos), you should cut back on feeding, both quantity and frequency to help limit the size of her egg clutches. Laying eggs really takes a lot out of them.
You have a coil uvb bulb which isn’t able to provide adequate uvb levels. The best to use is a linear T5 fixture with a 5% uvb bulb. It needs to span the width of your enclosure.
Proper supplements and uvb lighting are essential, especially when having a female. She will lay infertile eggs and will be needing a lay bin set up. Is easiest to keep it as a permanent part of her enclosure.
Speaking of enclosure, it looks like you probably have a 16x16x30 Repti Breeze. This will need to be upgraded to a 24x24x48 or equivalent.
Your temps are much too high. Basking temp for a female and especially a young cham should be no higher than around 82*. Switch to an old fashioned incandescent light bulb for basking...usually a 60w works well. Night temps should drop and can get as low as around 55-60*.
Your humidity is too high as well. During the day when it’s hot, the humidity level should stay around 30-50%. At night when it’s cool, it can go as high as 80-100%. Excess heat +excess humidity can = respiratory infection.
Live plants are best. Veileds tend to nibble heir plants and have been known to eat a fake leaf. That can cause impaction. Hibiscus is great, but has a high need for sunlight/good plant light. I see an ivy...I don’t know if that’s safe or not. Pothos is a favorite to use, as are dracaena, schefflera and weeping fig. This is a great guide. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
Chameleon academy.com is a great site to learn not just what to do, but why it’s done. You can also find podcasts there. One of the forum members has a very informative YouTube channel, Neptune the chameleon, which is also a great source of information.
Hoping that another forum member may know better than I about your girl’s eating and add anything that I may have missed.
384C31CE-2549-4CA3-8EDA-032B14C2E7BB.jpeg
A815DFF7-E724-4FA4-9B32-34AFAD1C993A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom