Need some advice PLEASE!!! Veiled Chameleon

Anandi

PLEASE HELP ME!!
I got this veiled chameleon from a friend that had him for about 2 years. He has not eaten a thing since I got him (11 days ago) and the only time when he drinks anything is when I spray the cage and it lands on his head. I’m afraid that it’s not enough water. There is water dripping on to the plants in the cage but he does not seem to be drinking any of it.

What worries me most is that he is not eating anything. What am I doing wrong? I feel so helpless and don’t know what to do. He’s got the same cage, UV light, feeding tray etc. that he had for the past 2 years, the only this I changed were the plants. I added some pictures. If you see anything in these pictures that I might be doing wrong, please let me know so that I can fix it as soon as possible!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 188
Please fill out our Ask For Help Form in detail so that we can help you to help your veiled. I would mist him directly for a pretty long time with warm water and he should drink.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? He is a Veiled Chameleon, male, unsure about his age but would guess almost 3 years and in my care for 11 daysHandling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once the second time he bit usFeeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets and cockroaches. The previous owner gave him 7-8 crickets every 3rd day but he has not eaten since I had him.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Tricalcium Phosphate twice a week but like I said he is not eating so he is not getting any calcium at the momentWatering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Dripping water for most of the day and spraying 3 times a day. He only drinks the water from direct spraying \ misting. Not from the dripping water. Only if it lands on its head will he open his mouth. I’m unsure if this is sufficient.Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? First part yellow and then dark brown. Consistency is firmHistory - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. He has been bitten by a dog a year ago but has recovered completely. I know the previous owner had to travel a lot and the cham was transported a lot so in my opinion this might have and affect hence the fact that he gave the cham to me.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Combo, glass in front and the rest is screen (please see pictures attached), dimensions: base is 24 x 24 inches, height 36 inchesLighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? It is a day light and it is on from 7am till 7pm. One a week we move the cage out in to the direct sunlightTemperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The temp is currently 28 – 32 degrees Celsius and very humid as it is raining every day. In the evenings the temp drops to about 16 – 18 degrees CelsiusHumidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? We don’t measure it at the moment but I do spray the cage 3 times a dayPlants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live plants, Ficus and philodendronPlacement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? The cage is outside on the porch. The dogs are also sleeping on the porch and it is the entrance to our house.At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is on a meter high tableLocation - Where are you geographically located? South Africa
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. The problem is that his not eating at all nor drinking on his own.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
First part yellow and then dark brown. Consistency is firm

Well he's dehydrated, definitely need to get a way to get him drinking some water.

When you spray, really soak the place. You want it to be dripping wet. They seem to have an instinct to drink when being rained on (which makes sense). I like to start my dripper then spray all around it so there's a big concentration of rain that gradually slows down to just the one drip.

You said the supplement used is Tricalcium Phosphate...I don't know what the ratio of calcium to phosphorus is in that....but its recommended that a phos.-free calcium powder be used at most feedings to help make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phos. found in most feeder insects.

Also...you said the light is It is a day light and it is on from 7am till 7pm....does it produce UVB?? You said..."One a week we move the cage out in to the direct sunlight"...so there is no glass or plastic between the chameleon and the sunlight then?

Gutloading/feeding the insects a nutritious diet will benefit your chameleon. You can gutload/feed roaches a wide variety of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.).

Not sure if philodendron is toxic or not?? Since veileds will eat greenery sometimes, its best to make sure that the plants are okay to eat.

are you sure about the age? loooks realy small maybe its just the picture making it that way. looks like the size of my 7month old. This is a great place to learn all you need hope you can get him to eat, or drink which is more important, you could try a shower, not hardly warm to your skin and make the water hit the side so mist will fall on him, can do that for about 15mins. Theres lots of good threads on showering search it.

An underfed animal would likely be smaller. I believe they will continue to grow as they get better nutrition though. So, maybe eventually he'll catch up.

Psi: I also think so, he only licks some of the water that falls on his head, nothing else…
Elizadolots: I really soaked the cage this morning when I sprayed and still he did not drink. Only the water that fallen on his head he opened his mouth. Not sure if he is getting any water then?
Kinyonga: I’m not sure if the daylight produces UVB, I got is from the previous owner. I will have to go to the pet shop where he bought it from to find out. When I do move him in to the sun once a week there is no glass between the cham and the sunlight. He gets direct sunlight then. Before I bought the philodendron plant I confirmed it with a pet store owner that specializes with chameleons and he said that it was safe to put is his cage.
Dclough77: I’m not 100% sure about his age but I know that the previous owner had him for 2 years
I’m going to move him to a quieter room today where there is no noise or any traffic. I hope this will calm him down and hopefully he will start to drink and eat.

According to the color of your cham, mainly brown, I would say he s kinda depressed.

He might miss sun and warmth.

Your profile say you re from south Africa ? It s "summer" there, right ?

if it s warm enough, take him out in some medium size vegetation ( be sure he can't climb out of range). Take a book, and let him wander around free for 1 or 2hours. Check every minute or so where he is.

I m quite sure that after a good sunbath he would eat on healthy insects he ll find on its way.

For drinking, if he accepts behind on your hand, try put him head up and dispose with your finguer a drop on his mounth. He should open and drink.

For larger amount, try this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHH_dYJUdlw&feature=related

Hi Archaleon, yes, it is currently summer but it is raining a lot.
It is interesting that you mention his color. I noticed that during the day he is very dark and while he is asleep his colours will brighten. I also noticed some white spots on his face. Does this mean anything? Sorry for all the questions but I’m really paranoid and so afraid something is going to happen to him….

He really looks sad today, just been sitting there, not moving.... I moved him to the quieter room, I really hope it makes a difference...

Attachments

• DSC09569.jpg
    DSC09569.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 184
If he was feeding well for the previous owner me may just be stressed out with the move. Mooving to a quit area sounds like a good idea. Is he near any other pets that may frighten him? Are you useing the same size crickets the previous owner used? Any signs of mdb? Bent limbs, swollen joints?

he was near dogs that is why I moved him. Using the same size crickets. No bent limbs that I can see....

It has been 14 days since he has eaten. I'm really getting worried.... he is also not drinking, only when I'm spraying the cage and it lands on his head and now he is getting white spots on his face and he is really dark…

Colors are often reflecting the spirit of the chameleon. But interpretting them is not always easy.

But I would say he has a psychical problem : or depression or stressed (he might be more agressive if stressed).

A chameleon is able to make himself starve to death. (this can take a while, a Chameleon can not eat for a month or pbly more)

Take him out as soon as it stops raining. A good sunshine would be appropriate but not essential.

My thoughts are and by far I'm not an expert but from my experience I've known that glass can stress out a chameleon and I think you said the front of the cage is glass.. well perhaps because he is in a new environment and different windows from your home at different angles than the one he came from perhaps he is stressed out because he might be able to see himself as in a reflection in the glass (maybe the sun shines differently indoors thus causing reflections on the front of the cage..a simple move of the cage might fix that..but..). Usually as a rule the cage should be all screen meshed. He does look dehydrated.. I would make sure he has a dripper running throughout the day (if you don't have a dripper you can poke a hole in a water bottle tiny and let that drip- adjust with the top of the water bottle cap the speed at which the drops are to fall and you can move it closer to wherever he is sitting to ensure it is dripping on something near him to see..) aside from the misting and if you are brave enough since you said he is a biter.. try to get him out of the cage and hold him over the sink three times a day and mist him.. really soak him then put him back in the cage or let him hang out outside of the cage a bit.(if you have to wear gloves maybe you could handle him better limited of course since he stresses out). Does he have his eyes open during the day looking around or is he in a "Sleep mode" which can signal real problems.I would definitely check the humidity so get a hygrogmeter (spelling?) to keep that at the level he needs. You should also be providing him with sufficent uvb lighting not just the sun outside.. especially if he isn't feeling well. I'd say I think the stress of the change of environment has him freaked out more than likely but with some aggresive caring he should hopefully be ok in the long run. I would offer food everyday in his cage like crickets.. put five in every day and then count them later and see if any are missing (yes they could be hiding too so check well) to see if he might be eating when you aren't there. You don't need to dust them everytime either. As for the plants.. maybe he did drink off of the plants once and if so who knows if the plant had any kind of pesticide on it .. it may have you never know and that could have affected him. (whatever new plants that are Chameleon "Safe" be sure to water the down thoroughly and have all leaves cleaned off before use in the cage) I don't know about the philodendron.. but the change in plants could be another factor he isn't happy with.. good luck and let us know how it goes and any other questions feel free to ask.. : )ps> almost forgot.. make sure the water you use is safe or treated to be safe for drinking for him. I use distilled water on my chameleon for drinking and spraying him down) Sometimes the chemicals in common drinking water can sicken a chameleon..

Last edited:
He has a dripper throughout the day and I soak him and the cage 3 times a day….. He just does not seem to be drinking on his own???? His eyes are open during the day and he is looking around. I will make sure to get a hygrometer and a uvb light although I think that the current light is a uvb light but I will go and make sure from the pet shop tomorrow…
I’ve also been making sure that there is constant food available for him but for the last 14 days he did not eat a thing…
I rinsed all the plants before I put it in his cage and also a guy at the pet store that also has a veiled cham recommended the philodendron plant…

Thank you to everyone for trying to help me. I really hope that I can get this little bugger to eat and drink!!!

They sometimes don't want to eat and drink in front of you. You need to monitor the poop to see if he's getting enough water. The light component should be creamy or white.

Hi Archaleon, yes, it is currently summer but it is raining a lot.
It is interesting that you mention his color. I noticed that during the day he is very dark and while he is asleep his colours will brighten. I also noticed some white spots on his face. Does this mean anything? Sorry for all the questions but I’m really paranoid and so afraid something is going to happen to him….

could be a shed soon(the white), which can make the dull colors as well, also when vieleds bask the get a bit darker. Hard to tell his feelings really your doin the right thing asking here! I agree with the sunbath take him outside! rain might make him drink ;)

HAVE YOU TRIED ANY OTHER FEEDERS SUCH AS SUPERWORMS, HORNWORMS, SILKWORMS? do you have access to these insects where you are located???

Back
Top Bottom