Need quick plant confirmation!

wendysjungle

I pulled the peace lilly out of Joyce's cage, and have a new plant to add, but I just want confirmation. All the nurseries were closed by the time I got off work, so I went to Fred Meyer for the new plant and none of them had the #$%^$# ID tags on them. I am pretty sure this is a schefflera (sp?), but just want to be absolutely positive before I put it in her cage. She is already PISSED over the removal of the lilly! :rolleyes:

photo.php

Last edited:
It looks like the right one, so I'm going for it before Joyce hisses herself into a frenzy at having her cage disturbed. :p

http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/ce/king/PoisPlant/Tox-SCI.htm

Common Name -----Scientific Name -----Toxicity Class

Umbrella tree---------Schefflera actinophylla -----2,4

1. Major Toxicity: These plants may cause serious illness or death. If ingested, immediately call the Poison Control Center or your doctor.
  2. Minor Toxicity: Ingestion of these plants may cause minor illnesses such as vomiting or diarrhea. If ingested, call the Poison Control Center or your doctor.
  3. Oxalates: The juice or sap of these plants contains oxalate crystals. These needle-shaped crystals can irritate the skin, mouth, tongue, and throat, resulting in throat swelling, breathing difficulties, burning pain, and stomach upset. Call the Poison Control Center or your doctor if any of these symptoms appear following ingestion of plants.
  4. Dermatitis: The juice, sap, or thorns of these plants may cause a skin rash or irritation. Wash the affected area of skin with soap and water as soon as possible after contact. The rashes may be very serious and painful. Call the Poison Control Center or your doctor if symptoms appear following contact with the plants.
  5. Animal toxicity: Pets, especially cats and dogs, frequently ingest plants. If a plant is known to be hazardous to humans, it will probably be toxic for animals as well. For a list of plants which are toxic to animals, call your local University of California Cooperative Extension office and ask for Publication 21564.

Thank you everyone for your help on this! Plant number THREE, the correct and non-toxic version of a schleffera tree, is now in Joyce's cage! (from an actual nursery this time, species verified) She once again darkened to near black and hissed at me through most of the plant changing process, even though I was the one doing all the work in taking the $%#*& cage off its base AGAIN to switch to another #$%&%^ plant AGAIN!!! But after much trimming and cussing (hopefully my parrots did not pick up any new words this evening) the tree is in place and I am DONE, and Joyce is quietly glaring at me from where she has hidden herself under a leaf to recover from all the disruption.

I can't be sure, but I think Joyce and I are no longer on speaking terms...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom