Need plants

Sam_and_George

Hey all,
I recently upgraded my chameleon’s cage to a much bigger one. 2 feet in length and width and 4 feet tall. I’m looking for a sturdy, somewhat tall, non-toxic, plant/tree to put in the middle. I found at a garden store a “Butterfly Bush” which seemed pretty good, but I wasn’t sure yet. In short, I was wondering what types of plants y’all have in your chameleons cages so I know that it is a good plant.
Thanks in advance!

Hey all,
I recently upgraded my chameleon’s cage to a much bigger one. 2 feet in length and width and 4 feet tall. I’m looking for a sturdy, somewhat tall, non-toxic, plant/tree to put in the middle. I found at a garden store a “Butterfly Bush” which seemed pretty good, but I wasn’t sure yet. In short, I was wondering what types of plants y’all have in your chameleons cages so I know that it is a good plant.
Thanks in advance!
Dracaenas and schlefferas are great plants as well as money trees. Most are pretty cheap and can be found at your local gardening store

When looking for plants, you also need to consider the plant's lighting requirements. Some plants will need intense lighting to survive indoors while other plants grow perfectly fine in almost complete darkness. Just something to consider.

"For most types of butterfly bushes, they grow best in full sun but some varieties can tolerate partial shade. You can grow butterfly bushes in dappled shade or morning sun and afternoon shade, but avoid deep shade areas. Full sun means the area gets at least six hours of direct sun a day. Part shade to part sun is anywhere between two and six hours of direct sun each day, while less than two hours of sun per day is considered full shade."
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/butterfly-bush-like-sun-shade-69702.html

If you get a butterfly bush, you will need good grow lights. That is unless you plan to keep this plant outdoors as part of an outside enclosure.

Like @Mendez said, go for an grow light. They‘re not expensive definitely stimulate plants grow and brings more natural light in the enclosure.

Herewith some safe plants you can use. And the Schefflera works great, the leaves will find their own way through the enclosure.

B13C0EF7-21CD-4B2F-ADF6-24C8258589B8.jpeg

Between my two enclosures and the close to 20 plants I'm trying to maintain mainly smaller trailing ones and more for esthetics . using a dragon ledges to hang them but I recently added Schefflera that was taller than my enclosure and I had to trim it down to fit but oh man it was worth it !!!

it's got great canopy options and leaf shape for drinking. It's easy to train and trim from what I've seen online and i Can highly recommend Schefflera over the benjaminia and you don't have to worry about the toxic sap from ficus.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. Wow butterfly bush is class my other halfs little sis has one outside awesome in the summer. My center pieces are ficus benjamina, dracena marginata( neither of my 2 imo are much use for climbing for my girl anyway) confederate jasmine up one side a large bromeliad. But I think as multivitamins mentioned the schefflera arboricola would be a good choice this schefflera is a dwarf but I think still gets around 3/4 foot tall.

My center pieces are ficus benjamina, dracena marginata( neither of my 2 imo are much use for climbing for my girl anyway)
They're all different. My li'l dude spends most of his time in the Ficus benjamina or Mass Cane, but both are taller than the Schefflera arboricola, which he spends very little time in except for sleeping.

Could be because his feeder cup is on the same side as the Ficus. This morning he was perched up in the Mass cane. As soon as I dumped his bugs in the cup, he jumped up to the ceiling and beat mittens across the enclosre for the cup. I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast, which is saying something for a 'meleon. :LOL:

They're all different. My li'l dude spends most of his time in the Ficus benjamina or Mass Cane, but both are taller than the Schefflera arboricola, which he spends very little time in except for sleeping.

Could be because his feeder cup is on the same side as the Ficus. This morning he was perched up in the Mass cane. As soon as I dumped his bugs in the cup, he jumped up to the ceiling and beat mittens across the enclosre for the cup. I don't think I've ever seen him move so fast, which is saying something for a 'meleon. :LOL:
I think the problem with my ficus is it was got from a nursery so like 3 plants stems braided so ghe foliage is too dense

I think the problem with my ficus is it was got from a nursery so like 3 plants stems braided so ghe foliage is too dense
That's exactly what I have. Ficus are notorious for dropping leaves any time they're moved (which ours did—profusely). After new growth began, we pruned away most of the dead branches. The chameleon spends most of his time at or near the top anyway. He uses it to access the ceiling "superhighway", to monitor his bowl, and to bask. Sometimes he'll even sleep up there—mist & all.

I've actually never seen my girl climb any of her plants when I got my first enclosure which had all fake plants she did

I've actually never seen my girl climb any of her plants when I got my first enclosure which had all fake plants she did
Acclimation period is definitely a thing I noticed. When I introduced my Chameleon to a new enclosure he was skeptical 🧐🤨 I imagined his little brain 🧠 spinning it wheels. I watched him to evaluate what was happening and see what improvements or placement changes would be needed. while he was exploring new areas it was a bit of a thrill and he was probably wondering if this new "tree" or territory has rivals or mates.

Fake plants can serve a purpose and are definitely less work if you got a baby it is probably used to fake plants as they are versatile and easy to clean they make sense for breeding but to be fair so does Schefflera. Everything has it's pro and cons.I enjoy having a slice of jungle in my home so the work to maintain live plantsis worth to me. And LEDs make it easier than ever.

Back
Top Bottom