Need low light but edible plant options.

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
I'm using POTHOS in the outdoor as well as indoor aviaries that I am setting up for the eventual arrival of Chameleons.
As I'll likely be getting at least 1 Veiled, I've been advised to not use artificial plants because Veileds will eat some plant matter.
I'm using Pothos because I know that it is edible and I have some as house plants. So I know that they can thrive in little to no light and are pretty forgiving as far as being watered. (Almost harder to kill than to grow)
What other plants are like this? ....
With thick vines or sturdy branches but are safe to eat.
I'm not a plant person.

I'm using POTHOS in the outdoor as well as indoor aviaries that I am setting up for the eventual arrival of Chameleons.
As I'll likely be getting at least 1 Veiled, I've been advised to not use artificial plants because Veileds will eat some plant matter.
I'm using Pothos because I know that it is edible and I have some as house plants. So I know that they can thrive in little to no light and are pretty forgiving as far as being watered. (Almost harder to kill than to grow)
What other plants are like this? ....
With thick vines or sturdy branches but are safe to eat.
I'm not a plant person.
I use money tree and hibiscus. The hibiscus can take a lot of light, that's why I've headed towards the money trees. They grow like weeds and the main shoot are very climable. The little sticks the 5 leaves come out on are absolutely climable for my panthers. Though to be fair, they can "climb" palms...

The hibiscus has great branches and my veiled will eat the blooms every now and then. Just watch, especially if you get them from a bigger store, for aphids. They SWARM the buds.

I also use tons of orchids and bromeliads. When they go "out of bloom" I swap them to outside and mother nature handles them until they bloom again. Just keep them away from the basking lights. They're climable to some degree. One of my panther girls use to "hide" down in the rootball of a big hanging orchid. Just watch out for your color choices... some of my chams dont like the white with purple spotted ones.

Palms and ferns are great coverage, but not so climable. I personally use greenery for coverage, orchids and bromeliads for looks and fake branches to build pathways. I use a lot of flukers branches... you can get them for $3-5 on amazon [with a per PERSON not household limit].

https://www.lllreptile.com/articles/2-list-of-nontoxic-plants-for-your-terrarium/

i have a hard time killing Dracaena's. Id say they are as forgiving as pothos. I also have good luck just throwing avocado cores in random areas that get misted a lot. They grow about 3ft tall and thin, but eh its a good conversation piece. I hear spider plants are also good for people with brown thumbs.

Avocado is very toxic to some animals, at least that's what I thought. I believe it's mostly in the skin and maybe the core, but idk if the leaves on the plant are. Then again, pothos is toxic too, but people still use them.

Avocado is very toxic to some animals, at least that's what I thought. I believe it's mostly in the skin and maybe the core, but idk if the leaves on the plant are. Then again, pothos is toxic too, but people still use them.

Mexican variety (var.drymifolia) leaves are eaten as a dish. Its the Guatemala (Persea Americana) that is "toxic of an unknown source". And its toxic just to the point that if your billy goat brush clearing herd eats a giant pile of them, they get upset stomachs.

Mexican variety (var.drymifolia) leaves are eaten as a dish. Its the Guatemala (Persea Americana) that is "toxic of an unknown source". And its toxic just to the point that if your billy goat brush clearing herd eats a giant pile of them, they get upset stomachs.

Not what I heard... While I am skeptical of it being deadly, some animals are apparently affected more than others. Birds are supposed to be highly sensitive to persin(the toxin found in them) while other animals not as much. No idea about the leaves either. https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/avocado/

In your outdoor enclosures you may have better luck with those plants that like/need more light such as hibiscus and crotons. Umbrella trees, dracaenas (there’s many different varieties) and even an areca palm may do well both indoors as well as out.

same with mine ! if you plan on keeping pothos outside keep it in the middle of the cage that gets the most shade ! if you put them high in the cage the sun will fry them !
Yeah not so good for me lol. But I think they will work when I build out his summer enclosure. IF anyone has Veiled Friendly outdoor plant options that you have used with a Veiled I would greatly appreciate it as well. I am wanting to build a large enclosure so I will need a lot of plants to fill it out.

Yeah not so good for me lol. But I think they will work when I build out his summer enclosure. IF anyone has Veiled Friendly outdoor plant options that you have used with a Veiled I would greatly appreciate it as well. I am wanting to build a large enclosure so I will need a lot of plants to fill it out.

You must grow hibiscus, for those of us who cant. You can have huge amount of flower colors, and they get pretty big for a "house" plant. And you can feed all the flowers to your local tortoises.

You must grow hibiscus, for those of us who cant. You can have huge amount of flower colors, and they get pretty big for a "house" plant. And you can feed all the flowers to your local tortoises.
I don't have local tortoises lol. I will probably be doing hibiscus I just have a heck of a time getting them here. :( I wish we had a lowes or home depot here.

I don't have local tortoises lol. I will probably be doing hibiscus I just have a heck of a time getting them here. :( I wish we had a lowes or home depot here.
What about a Walmart? They usually carry the "bushy" variant of the hibiscus. I prefer the "tree" style or the braided tree. It's all the same, just requires more work to train the shrubs. If you really want some, I'm sure I could squeeze a few of the $5-6 sized ones into a box... but shipping would be like $20, lol.

Otherwise, they grow all over here. I *think* you can actually take a cutting and grow a tree from it. I could use some of those "single stem rose" water vials and ship you some cuttings much cheaper.

I love hibiscus in my outdoor areas. I keep 2-3 for my free range/bird cage set ups. I paid $4 for one off clearance a while back and it's taking over the porch!

What about a Walmart? They usually carry the "bushy" variant of the hibiscus. I prefer the "tree" style or the braided tree. It's all the same, just requires more work to train the shrubs. If you really want some, I'm sure I could squeeze a few of the $5-6 sized ones into a box... but shipping would be like $20, lol.

Otherwise, they grow all over here. I *think* you can actually take a cutting and grow a tree from it. I could use some of those "single stem rose" water vials and ship you some cuttings much cheaper.

I love hibiscus in my outdoor areas. I keep 2-3 for my free range/bird cage set ups. I paid $4 for one off clearance a while back and it's taking over the porch!
Once one is established you can just ignore it and the bushes grow like weeds.
I also keep Redfoot tortoises and most days, I use hibiscus leaves and flowers in their feedings.
Even my Koi and my wifes Canaries eat the flowers!
I have 7 very large hibiscus bushes in my back yard. They grow faster than I can harvest the leaves and flowers.
They also LOOK very nice.
I love them.

Attachments

• 20190204_092834.jpg
    20190204_092834.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 137
Back
Top Bottom