Need immediate help!

Dmcugy

I need to start misting my cham more so he will drink more but i suspect i will have a problem with standing water at the base of my cage as i dont have any type of substrate. Any ideas on simple drainage solutions?

Put the cage on top of a rubbermade or sterilite "drawer".

LG1_17088004.jpg

Drill holes through the bottom of the cage and top of the drawer "box". Make sure you empty the water before it gets too full or it will be hard to carry.

I agree that is a great drainage system and easy to use. Standing water is bad for your chameleon and will kill the plants that are standing in it.

I have a wooden cage where i attached a tarp below the bottom and had it come down to a single point, where i put a hole in the tarp for the water to fall into. and then a bucket underneath that to catch to water...

Put the cage on top of a rubbermade or sterilite "drawer".

LG1_17088004.jpg

Drill holes through the bottom of the cage and top of the drawer "box". Make sure you empty the water before it gets too full or it will be hard to carry.

How do i prevent lose crickets from goin in there?

I agree with the drawer setup... it works quite well.
crickets can be contained by using screen (available at any hardware store like home depot, usually in the doors/windows section), but you'll have to be mindful to clean the screen, it's easy to overlook sometimes since it's down at the bottom and depending upon how you set it up you might be using small pieces of screen instead of one large piece that covers the bottom... either way, the screen requires a little extra attention when cleaning (a bit more than the smooth plastic bottom that you'll find on most store-bought screen enclosures).
Also, I think the drawer setup is better (due to the ability to easily remove the water water)... But... you can also visit www.lllreptile.com and they sell bases to fit their screen cages that catch the water. My experience was that the base was too shallow though and that it was designed more for the appearance of protecting the top of your stand or furniture than it was for actually collecting and removing excess drip water to benefit the chameleon.
best of luck with your enclosure!

When I used this configuration, escaping crickets weren't a problem. They virtually never hung out on the floor, preferring to be up around the lights. However, if you have the new black crickets, it might well be a concern. Those guys seem to like patrolling the floor.

you dont need to make the holes big enough for crickets to escape. Just keep your cage floor clean & your cage bottom wont flood due to a clog. I use a cheap tv stand on wheels. Its awesome.

Back
Top Bottom