Need help with my chameleon

ryanp347

Hi I have a Male panther chameleon who is around 2 and a half years old now and lately he has been sleeping a lot during the day and not eating a lot at all. Its been going on for a couple weeks now and I tried changing a lot of little things to see if it would help but he doesn't seem to be getting better. He still is eating a little bit based off of his poop but he is not drinking enough or eating enough to maintain a healthy weight and that's what is concerning me the most. He will still roam around his cage and bask under his light but he doesn't roam around nearly as much and when I bring him out to free roam he will only go to one spot and then stay still, try to sleep. He hasn't had any problems before this and always ate a lot and was active.

Currently he is in a 36x18x18 inch cage with one 18in 10.0 uvb bulb and one 50w basking bulb. For water he has a reptifountain and I spray a few times a day. Humidifier is going the whole time lights are on as well. No real plants in my cage anymore and I used to have another larger cage that this one sat on top of but it isn't practical for me to do so anymore. He usually eats mostly super worms dusted with repashy supercal noD and on occasion I use the repashy calcium plus. I also mix up the food every now and then but it is mostly super worms. Any suggestions or ideas on what might be going wrong? Only thing I am considering at the moment is that it might be because its winter and the room where his cage is is colder now, especially at night but not below 60-55 degrees.

Hi I have a Male panther chameleon who is around 2 and a half years old now and lately he has been sleeping a lot during the day and not eating a lot at all. Its been going on for a couple weeks now and I tried changing a lot of little things to see if it would help but he doesn't seem to be getting better. He still is eating a little bit based off of his poop but he is not drinking enough or eating enough to maintain a healthy weight and that's what is concerning me the most. He will still roam around his cage and bask under his light but he doesn't roam around nearly as much and when I bring him out to free roam he will only go to one spot and then stay still, try to sleep. He hasn't had any problems before this and always ate a lot and was active.

Currently he is in a 36x18x18 inch cage with one 18in 10.0 uvb bulb and one 50w basking bulb. For water he has a reptifountain and I spray a few times a day. Humidifier is going the whole time lights are on as well. No real plants in my cage anymore and I used to have another larger cage that this one sat on top of but it isn't practical for me to do so anymore. He usually eats mostly super worms dusted with repashy supercal noD and on occasion I use the repashy calcium plus. I also mix up the food every now and then but it is mostly super worms. Any suggestions or ideas on what might be going wrong? Only thing I am considering at the moment is that it might be because its winter and the room where his cage is is colder now, especially at night but not below 60-55 degrees.
Please fill out the ask for help form in full detail. Cage is too small, uvb is too strong, take out the fountain and mist instead, superworms should only be fed occasionally

scrap the fountain immediately, it is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria and parasites, as for eating try different feeders and also definitely fill out the ask for help form it will give us a good idea of why he isn't eating and what you can do to coax him to eat again, also 10.0 for that small cage is too strong especially for a panther, a 10.0 should only be for large veileds or large densely planted enclosures

He needs a minimum 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall cage, preferably screen. Get a 5.0 Zoo Med or 6% Arcadia uvb bulb, 10.0 should only be used for panthers in extremely densely planted cages that are bigger than 2’ by 2’ by 4’ tall. Waterfalls will cause your cham to die, take it out immediately. As stated, they’re a breeding ground for bacteria. You need to mist for at least 3 times a day, but preferably for more, for at least 2 minutes, but preferably 5 minutes, each time. Invest in an automated mister, like a MistKing. Superworms should only be for occasional variety, try crickets, black soldier flies and larvae, blue bottle flies, butterworms, hornworms, silkworms, mantids, stick insects, small helix aspersa, painted lady butterflies, silk, wax, and hornworm moths, and roaches (red runner, dubia, orange headed, and ivory headed cannot climb or fly), etc, to name a few. Variety is key! Every feeder must be gutloaded! You need to use the Repashy Calcium Plus LoD on every feeder right before every feeding! Please fill out the ask for help form and post pics of your cham and his cage, as well!

Back
Top Bottom