Need help with ID please

If you do end up keeping breeding this, let us now how you get on. How you keep them and such, I was thinking about this, Two Stripeds are EVERYWHERE where I live in the 4 corners, in the summer, thought about catching and raising some.

Are they on the smaller side? Curious if there’s a size difference or if they’re all “large cricket sized” as adults.

Are they on the smaller side? Curious if there’s a size difference or if they’re all “large cricket sized” as adults.

Well, tbh here in AZ, we have limited types of hoppers, and the ones we do have are all about the same size lol. From the videos I have seen on trying to research breeding hoppers, yes they are defiantly on the small size. Maybe 1.5inches long on average. The videos on breeding of hoppers, are showing me 3-4 inch monstrosity's lol, to those 100% they are small. So maybe a tad bigger than most of the adult crickets I have dealt with, however defiantly small in context to those massive hoppers.

I have seen of what I believe to be the same species, some adults that reach over 2 inches, maybe even bordering 2.5 inches, but they are few and far between, I think they are more of an odd ball than a norm.

Well, tbh here in AZ, we have limited types of hoppers, and the ones we do have are all about the same size lol. From the videos I have seen on trying to research breeding hoppers, yes they are defiantly on the small size. Maybe 1.5inches long on average. The videos on breeding of hoppers, are showing me 3-4 inch monstrosity's lol, to those 100% they are small. So maybe a tad bigger than most of the adult crickets I have dealt with, however defiantly small in context to those massive hoppers.

I have seen of what I believe to be the same species, some adults that reach over 2 inches, maybe even bordering 2.5 inches, but they are few and far between, I think they are more of an odd ball than a norm.
Arizona has some of the best grasshoppers, including four species of large bird grasshoppers. Here's a species you have that I haven't worked with yet, since you can basically only find them over there: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/205713-Schistocerca-albolineata

And here is Schistocerca nitens, a large non-diapause species that you should have access to. They are all over Southwestern US, especially if you are near a rural area or have a garden.
20190410_adult female nitens edit.jpg

Arizona has some of the best grasshoppers, including four species of large bird grasshoppers. Here's a species you have that I haven't worked with yet, since you can basically only find them over there: https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/205713-Schistocerca-albolineata

And here is Schistocerca nitens, a large non-diapause species that you should have access to. They are all over Southwestern US, especially if you are near a rural area or have a garden.
View attachment 255600

Yes those are more desert species though, I live in the Corner of AZ right in the middle of the Moggolon Rim, the largest pine tree forest in the world.

The wildlife here is vastly different then the rest of the states.

I grew up mostly in Phoenix (but was here some too, Divorced parents), which is in the Sonoran and where Inaturalist shows that species, however can't say I seen many hoppers in Phoenix. Mostly seemed to find crickets in Phoenix, the Black ones usually in the concrete water meter housings, especially the leaky ones.

I had seen some lubbers as a child, and I think those that you depicted, but they were rare, and my grandmother use to tell me they were locusts, they were large.

Last edited:
Yes those are more desert species though, I live in the Corner of AZ right in the middle of the Moggolon Rim, the largest pine tree forest in the world.

The wildlife here is vastly different then the rest of the states.

I grew up mostly in Phoenix (but was here some too, Divorced parents), which is in the Sonoran and where Inaturalist shows that species, however can't say I seen many hoppers in Phoenix. Mostly seemed to find crickets in Phoenix, the Black ones usually in the concrete water meter housings, especially the leaky ones.

I had seen some lubbers as a child, and I think those that you depicted, but they were rare, and my grandmother use to tell me they were locusts, they were large.
Oh okay yeah grasshoppers aren't really into pine trees :LOL:

I'll recommend checking along rivers and creeks, especially in areas that get decent sunlight. That's where the both green species of Schistocerca and the larger species of Melanoplus hang out.

Oh okay yeah grasshoppers aren't really into pine trees :LOL:

I'll recommend checking along rivers and creeks, especially in areas that get decent sunlight. That's where the both green species of Schistocerca and the larger species of Melanoplus hang out.

Ya I get these 2 lined guys in the grass, and in the small rivers and ponds in our neighborhood. That's really the only ones I find though.

Sorry for the late response, I think I need to change my notification settings. Looks like Melanoplus femurrubrum to me. It's a subadult, so you'll know for sure when it completes its final molt in a week or so.

Sorry for the super delayed response, I’ve been slammed at work and took a break from the forums. Thank you very much for your posts and ID everyone! I do have adults now and will take a picture for posting in the other grasshopper thread when I get home tonight...

Back
Top Bottom