need help with humidity

Joshhh0

I recently got my veiled chameleon and im wondering how i can keep the humidity up? i have an aluminum screen cage. The temp sits around 75-83 and the humidity is around 40-55.. what can i do to increase it, cause im getting worried that he'll die :( please anything can help!!!

I recently got my veiled chameleon and im wondering how i can keep the humidity up? i have an aluminum screen cage. The temp sits around 75-83 and the humidity is around 40-55.. what can i do to increase it, cause im getting worried that he'll die :( please anything can help!!!

Live plants, three solid sides and an automatic mister.

20160610_144944.jpg 20160610_144937.jpg 1465588964855.jpg
Live plants, three solid sides and an automatic mister.

That's what I did. I used a shower curtain to cover the 3 sides. It brought my humidity up to 40s then spikes when the mister is running and good up to the 50s at night. I have my mister and light on a timer as well.

I use a cool mist humidifier [on most of the daylight hours], a dripper and cover two sides.

Last edited:
From the Veiled care sheet on this site: "Veiled chameleons require levels around 40-70%"

Sounds to me like you're good. Remember too much humidity can be bad as well as too little too much humidity. If you're sitting at 40 - 55% between misting you are perfect!

I would still watch out for signs of dehydration and or stuck sheds; if you start to see issues then worry about trying to get further into the middle of the range of required humidity.

Too wet has the potential to cause respiratory issues for animals not built for the higher levels of wetness...

Okay well I just got back from the store and got another ficus tree. This one is 4' tall with a nice canopy. I'll put it in the cage tomorrow morning when I can get some rocks in the base so he doesn't dig.
My cham is a panther.
Sorry Joshhh0, didn't mean to take over your question. Goes to show how its so important to have the right set up for the right cham.

Good Luck with yours.

Okay well I just got back from the store and got another ficus tree. This one is 4' tall with a nice canopy. I'll put it in the cage tomorrow morning when I can get some rocks in the base so he doesn't dig.
Wash it thoroughly, and get rid of as much dirt as possible, to be replaced with dirt that has no fertilizers or the hydro balls. Then cover the dirt as you posted above.

I use a cool mist humidifier [on most of the daylight hours], a dripper and cover two sides.
Hey WAMBO. How do you handle moisture and lighting? I just picked up a cool mist humidifier today, and I'm going to fit it with a hose to run into the setup (a Reptibteeze that'll have the sides and back covered with plastic). I've been cautious with misting as-as, because I'm nervous about getting water on the lights. The obvious solution is to turn the lights off, mist, then turn them on, but is there a way to enable misting and basking without blowing up the bulbs? Thanks.

Hey WAMBO. How do you handle moisture and lighting? I just picked up a cool mist humidifier today, and I'm going to fit it with a hose to run into the setup (a Reptibteeze that'll have the sides and back covered with plastic). I've been cautious with misting as-as, because I'm nervous about getting water on the lights. The obvious solution is to turn the lights off, mist, then turn them on, but is there a way to enable misting and basking without blowing up the bulbs? Thanks.
I have the tubing pointed toward the side of the cage, and located mid way on the side from the top and bottom [as well as mid way from back to front], so it's not pointed toward the lights. The opposite side of the cage is now covered with plastic and the back side as well [which I did after I took this picture]. If the end of the tubing is pointed upward, it will accumulate water, so I tied on a wooden skewer to straighten it. You can see it blowing in the white mist at the end.
E906430C-57B3-4A1E-83C2-0F7B3B693A65_zpsvwmjepg3.jpg

I have the tubing pointed toward the side of the cage, and located mid way on the side from the top and bottom [as well as mid way from back to front], so it's not pointed toward the lights. The opposite side of the cage is now covered with plastic and the back side as well [which I did after I took this picture]. If the end of the tubing is pointed upward, it will accumulate water, so I tied on a wooden skewer to straighten it. You can see it blowing in the white mist at the end.
E906430C-57B3-4A1E-83C2-0F7B3B693A65_zpsvwmjepg3.jpg
Absolutely awesome! Thanks so much.

Absolutely awesome! Thanks so much.
Shorter tube will increase flow. I had to turn down mine to the lowest setting since the entire cage was filling. just experiment. It may work fine on top, pointing down and most water will just drip through the screen. You can also cut a hole in the screen, but this humidifier blew right through the screen. Make sure you catch the drainage. Right now, I'm using a cat littler box bag. There is a towel rolled up below the humidifier too. The nozzle is 1/2 inch from the screen [pushed back by the of the skewer], so less water accumulates on the screen itself. You can see the tip of the black nozzle and the wooden skewer in the pic.

Shorter tube will increase flow. I had to turn down mine to the lowest setting since the entire cage was filling. just experiment. It may work fine on top, pointing down and most water will just drip through the screen. You can also cut a hole in the screen, but this humidifier blew right through the screen. Make sure you catch the drainage. Right now, I'm using a cat littler box bag. There is a towel rolled up below the humidifier too. The nozzle is 1/2 inch from the screen [pushed back by the of the skewer], so less water accumulates on the screen itself. You can see the tip of the black nozzle and the wooden skewer in the pic.
Just back from Home Depot with tubes, hoses, adapters, and clamps. Very excited to get to work. I'll let you know how it goes!

Just back from Home Depot with tubes, hoses, adapters, and clamps. Very excited to get to work. I'll let you know how it goes!
Post a pic of the result. I finally got a good pic of my cham for an avatar.

Back
Top Bottom