Need help with humidity tonight

I didn’t know there were humidity gauges with probes. Which brand do you use? I have thought that the humidity has got to be higher within the plants with all I’m doing. I don’t have a fan blowing in the enclosure but I have one blowing in the room it’s in.
I use these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They're inexpensive, have large numbers for both temp & humidity, they're in Fahrenheit, and I can compare them against each other for accuracy (which has not been a problem).

There are other "brands" but I suspect many/most come from the same factories in China. 🤷‍♂️
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+hygrometer+with+probe&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I just bought two different ones on Amazon. Each had two probes, one for temp and one that looks like it has a openings to let air in for humidity. I think I like those better. I worry that the ones with the single probe really only measure the temp and rely on the body of the gauge to measure the humidity. I may be wrong but I’m afraid that that one probe especially since it has no holes in it can’t measure humidity, only temperature.

I just bought two different ones on Amazon. Each had two probes, one for temp and one that looks like it has a openings to let air in for humidity. I think I like those better. I worry that the ones with the single probe really only measure the temp and rely on the body of the gauge to measure the humidity. I may be wrong but I’m afraid that that one probe especially since it has no holes in it can’t measure humidity, only temperature.
That's not been my experience. It may depend on the type of probe.
Just to make sure, I just ran another test. The probes on mine have 48"+ long wires. I put the unit at one end of a table, and the probe at the other end, then spritzed the probe with water. It took a few minutes (which is typical) but the humidity rose by ~30%. Temperature didn't change.

Most of the year the nights are in the low 60's so I just open the windows, for the hotter months I run the AC. When the AC runs is when I struggle getting the humidity up. Most of my cages are in an alcove that has a curtain I close at night. My situation is unique it wouldn't work for most people. I do have a cage in the living room that is more typical but the humidifier does the job.
I like those type of thermometer/hygrometer but I have had some get wonky when the batteries got low.

But it’s so dry in California, I would think you’d always struggle with humidity. Whats your average night time humidity level?

Our overnight humidity is fairly high most of the time. Today it is currently 26% but indoors it's about 45%. Tonight there is a 6% chance of rain that will really be a heavy dew. I'm fairly near the coast ~7 miles so the ocean brings in substantial overnight humidity unless the winds are coming in off the desert but that is only a few days a year. Night time humidity is usually in the 80-100% range. My friend keeps his outside most of the year but he is even closer to the ocean and doesn't get as much heat as I do.

Wow, youre really blessed! I’m really wondering if my gauges are right. I have one that’s several years old and the other 2 are new one is a govee but they don’t have probes so I ordered two new ones today, two different brands and they each have two probes, one for temp and one for humidity. I’m going to place one of the humidity probes right by his sleeping spot in the leaves. Sometimes it feels humid to me yet my gauges show low humidity readings. We will see.
would you use the cool air ultrasonic humidifier in the room if the temp is higher than 67-70 degrees?

^^^^ this always double check the accuracy of your gauges. A lot of us are using the Govee ones. They connect to an app on your phone. You can see exactly to the minute over a 24 hour period what your humidity and temp levels are. You just can not put them in a direct spray area.

Right and I have one hanging on the side of my enclosure with a paper clip. That one I’m keeping but I’m replacing the other two.

Pinned to the outside. That’s why I wanted some with probes that can go inside amongst the leaves but not in the spray zone. Then maybe I’ll get more accurate readings.

Pinned to the outside
So that is part of the issue. Your humidity outside the screen is going to be lower then inside. I have actually tested this with one hooked on the outside and one inside two inches away. It was a 15% difference for me. Also the positioning inside is going to make a difference. Higher in the cage towards the lights the levels will run anywhere between 10-20% lower then farther down into where all the plants are sitting.

Ok, I took my govee and the other newer gauges and hung them from the wooden dowels inside the cage but out of the mistkings reach. We will se what happens. One of them started to go up when I was doing it. Thank you beman!

Ok, I took my govee and the other newer gauges and hung them from the wooden dowels inside the cage but out of the mistkings reach. We will se what happens. One of them started to go up when I was doing it. Thank you beman!
I take them off the string just in case Beman tries to mess with them. I use a zip tie through the hole that the string goes through and hook them to the branch that way.

Ok, thank you. I did have them inside the enclosure last night but they didn’t go up much. According to my govee data the average night time humidity was around 69-71% but would have spikes around 75% when the mistking would go off. The lowest the temp got was 69. I sure hope that’s ok for Eustis. I can’t exactly replicate his environment in Kenya plus he probably was born and raised in Hawaii anyway but I’m doing the best I can.

Ok, thank you. I did have them inside the enclosure last night but they didn’t go up much. According to my govee data the average night time humidity was around 69-71% but would have spikes around 75% when the mistking would go off. The lowest the temp got was 69. I sure hope that’s ok for Eustis. I can’t exactly replicate his environment in Kenya plus he probably was born and raised in Hawaii anyway but I’m doing the best I can.
I think we make a really big deal out of trying to reach these levels of "perfection" for temps and humidity. This is why you have a daytime range and a night time range. Now do they do better with colder temps at night? Absolutely. But how achievable is it to be able to reach 50-65 degrees at night in a home? Not very. Or 100% humidity? Nope not easy at all. So the range is 50-65 degrees at night and 80-100% humidity at night for Jackson's. You are sitting pretty close to that. honestly I would be less stressed about the humidity and focus more on getting down to more of that 65 degree temp. Especially if you are fogging.

The one thing to remember with humidity. You also have to have airflow. Also depending on where in the cage the fog is coming in you will have denser areas and lower areas of concentration. It all falls to the bottom of the cage and flows out the screen. It is not like a fog bank rolling in by any means lol

So you might consider a putting a pc fan on the top of the cage pulling air up and out of it. this will help with air flow. I run one 24 hours a day on top of my hybrid cage. This may also help with pulling the hot air out and cooler room air in. Even an oscillating fan out in front of the cage a few feet back from it on low. Will help move air.

Okay, I have an oscillating fan I can put facing the front of the enclosure a few feet out like you said and put it on low. I don’t really want to put pipes and all this stuff to fog into the top of his cage. What I did the other night is set the humidifier on the end Of the coffee table in front of his cage and aim the fog toward his cage. I can get temp down to 68 but that’s about as low as it’ll go right now. I could run my ac at night. Ill have o find a warmer place for my kitty to sleep cause she won’t be happy! Lol! If you think it would be better, I’ll order a pc fan. That might pull the fog in better then up and out the top. I really appreciate all your help beman. Really all of you regulars! I appreciate you all!

As beman said perfection isn't always possible what is that anyway in the real world( these little guys/ gals ) have been around a minute or 2 lol and are survivors and will / can adapt to an ever changing world you are doing a super job

Okay, I have an oscillating fan I can put facing the front of the enclosure a few feet out like you said and put it on low. I don’t really want to put pipes and all this stuff to fog into the top of his cage. What I did the other night is set the humidifier on the end Of the coffee table in front of his cage and aim the fog toward his cage. I can get temp down to 68 but that’s about as low as it’ll go right now. I could run my ac at night. Ill have o find a warmer place for my kitty to sleep cause she won’t be happy! Lol! If you think it would be better, I’ll order a pc fan. That might pull the fog in better then up and out the top. I really appreciate all your help beman. Really all of you regulars! I appreciate you all!
It is all trial and error. What works for me with my enclosure and conditions will be different for the next person. Try the oscillating fan first. The gentle sweeping back and forth a few feet away on low works really well to move the cooler room air into the cage. I can get my cage down to 65-67 at night and this is with a window unit air conditioner on high set to 62 and the bedroom door closed. That is the lowest I can get the cage though lol. So like I said rather then reaching for perfection do the best you can with what you can provide in your environment. 68 is better then him sitting at 73 all night at least.

You will make yourself crazy trying to be perfect. Trust me I know this all too well.

Back
Top Bottom