Need help with dosages of calcium carbonate solution for a chameleon with potential MBD

Hello friends!

So a quick intro to the situation:

So recently I purchased a mate for my veiled chameleon Bames. She's a four month old baby who I named Rose (note that I don't plan on letting them mate until she's a few months older). I purchased her from Petland, which I typically really like. But holding her there and after buying her, I realized she does have an underbite and a couple kinks in her tail. Thus, I was concerned that she may have MBD due to a lack of proper calcium intake. I could realistically take her back to Petland, but I adore her too much already (she's so much sassier than my super friendly, sweet Bames)! So, I decided to try and just treat her myself so she can grow up healthy & strong!

I was doing some research and trying to figure out how to treat her myself. I am an immunology student who currently works in a medical lab testing drugs for treatment in cancer patients, so I decided that I could probably treat her myself rather than spending money on a vet (I will if I have to, but I really would prefer to save money if possible). Upon doing my research, I discovered that the calcium salt provided to chameleons doesn't matter- the most important thing is to consider the amount of elemental calcium. Because I can't buy calcium gluconate or glubionate in my local pharmacy, I purchased calcium carbonate (without vitamin D3, since chameleons can OD easily if too much D3 is provided). The pills are 1350mg, but contain 500mg of elemental calcium. So because Rose is approximately 40g and chameleons need about 66mg/kg PO (twice daily for 30 days then once daily for 30 days) to treat MBD, I dissolved 1 pill (500mg elemental calcium) in 20mL warm deionized water (ie. calcium carbonate is readily soluble in water) and plan to give her 0.1 mL of this 25mg/mL solution (she's small so I don't want to force her to drink too much) PO twice daily for thirty days, then once daily for 30 days.

I just want to confirm with a vet/scientist or experienced member if this dosage is correct and if this will be beneficial for Rose! I really care about her so I don't want to harm her. :)

Update: I gave baby Rose two drops of 25mg/mL CaCO3 solution! It was very easy as she is very timid and hisses so I placed the syringe in her mouth and gently dropped about two drops in her mouth.

Please post a couple of photos of her.
Usually when a chameleon has MBD it's recommended that you use a calcium sandoz liquid form or calcium gluconate in liquid form. They are more easily absorbed than other forms.

I am not experienced enough in this to give you advice, but just wanted to say good on you for trying to help her rather than return her (y). She'd most likely die at the pet store if you were to bring her back

@kinyonga I have confirmed now that she has MBD now actually. I only need help with the dosage. I currently do not have access to calcium gluconate hence why I'm using calcium carbonate. While it is true that calcium gluconate is more easily absorbed, calcium carbonate can also be absorbed quite easily :) The most important thing to consider is the bioavailability of elemental calcium. I just need help with dosing! :) Thank you though!

I am not sure what to do with the carbonate, I know with sandoz, which is the liquid calcium form I usually get from my vet, I asked my vet what she usually dose for MBD dosage and she said the normal dosage is usually .01 ml for every 50 grams. And I only do my calcium doses once a day. It's easy to get it all in their mouth at once. If she openly hisses, do your regular dose you would for the day, grip her on the side of the mouth and with a 1 cc/ml oral syringe, go all the way to the back of the mouth and let the tip hit the beginning of the throat, then just depress and back away quickly and leave her alone for at least an hour. Just dripping it into her mouth, unless the syringe is all the way back like I described, could cause her to aspirate since chameleon's tracheas are under their tongue.

I don't know if the measurements will help you figure it out at all, hope so ^^

@Andee Thank you! She's very sassy and will hiss if I try and kiss at her... so I make baby voices and kissy faces and then she hisses haha. Then I just do one droplet at a time. I will try and get it farther back into her mouth. I wish there were more info on the interwebs for stuff like this! But I really appreciate you, thank you! I think my dosages are right, as I have a fair amount of chemistry behind my belt, but I'm just super worried because I've never treated a baby with MBD & don't want to hurt her!! So thank you again :)

If you need it I can send you the link of me medicating my jackson, Hope, it shows with pictures of how I do it, so it would be pretty easy to adapt to your situation. Hope is super tiny and stunted from her past.

Back
Top Bottom