Need help with dieing tree

ken2414

Established Member
i recently bought a new ficus for my chameleon's cage and currently all the leaves are falling off and he will soon be hanging onto just branches (just like before). any help as to stop the tree from dieing? i really don't want to spend 50 dollars on another.

i recently bought a new ficus for my chameleon's cage and currently all the leaves are falling off and he will soon be hanging onto just branches (just like before). any help as to stop the tree from dieing? i really don't want to spend 50 dollars on another.

I dont know if youve noticed but with the ficus plants. They often will drop all their leaves when stressed. (Ie moved to a new location) It will prob bounce back after a few weeks or a month. I quit using ficus for that reason and because they expel an irritating white substance that can cause eye issues. Ive been using umbrella plants/schefflerra and my chams love them. Pick one up they do well indoors and they have nice sturdy branches and leaves if you can find a 2.5 -3 fter.

haha i mean recently as in a few months. i have an umbrella plant it just started dieing when i did use it so i switched. i think i should just take out the tree and let it grow out of the cage for a bit cuz my chameleon has no where to hide and i know he gets stressed from it.

Are you only using one fl tube for uvb? I use two tubes one 5.0 for uvb and one 6500k plant light. Thats really the only way you can keep your plants looking good. Before I started using both types of bulbs I had to rotate my plants outside to recover.

i use a uvb and this other random tube light. we had an extra in the garage so i put it in there. i can see about getting a plant light tho.

they usually lose all leaves when disturbed or moved indoors for winter from outside.It Should perk back up soon unless there is another issue. Put it outside when it gets warm it'll get nice and full in no time.

swap out random tube light for 6500k daylight tube light instead. Itll be better for whatever plants you decide to use.

I like the 7800k myself that they sell at wal mart with fixture for 10 bucks. Works great and is a nice cool light so it dosent blind you.

I have two umbrella plants that I rotate outside on a weekly basis, it seems to be working really well it gives the other plant time to recover

benjaminas

Hi ken: benjaminas have the bad reputation, loosing the leaves is common, they will come with plenty, as the adapt to new environment. as all vegis without leaves, don't give any water to avoid rooting roots. leave it alone and give as much light you can. I am at the same area, and my sunlight is same as you have in SD ,my chameleons are outside almost all day long, I use schefflera, benjaminas, and protons, see photos.

Attachments

• benjamina .jpg
    benjamina .jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 110
  • benjamina-sheflera.jpg
    benjamina-sheflera.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 103
  • my belly needs sun Jackson.jpg
    my belly needs sun Jackson.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 137
  • have an eye for you.jpg
    have an eye for you.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 84
I have had the same plants in my enclosures for a year with no problem.
I hang pothos from the top, and have umbrella and flowering hibiscus on the bottom.
I use zoomed 5.0 and house bulbs for basking. I just make sure they are watered just as much as the chams, especially hibiscus and umbrella, at least 2x daily and keep the soil aerated with a fork once a week when I clean the cages, they are planted in organic soil with rocks and pebbles for decoration.
They are all blooming and growing and I have never needed to take them out, just trim the pothos when it gets too long. They would be my favorite, lots of length for crawling and lots of leaves for hiding.
Good luck!

I had a hibiscus that was dying on me, after reading a few post people seem to recommend a 6500k. So I got one ( two actually for ten bucks at home depot woot woot ) and my hibiscus is coming back. There is tons on new growth and from what I hear hibiscus are a little harder to tend to. :)

Back
Top Bottom