Need help with chameleon...Bad Situation.

Shoeless Joe

I have a year old chameleon that has to unfortunately live in the school that I go to. I live in Hawaii and he was a wild chameleon. They encourage us to take the chameleon out of the wild because they are invasive species. So he lives in the school in one of the classrooms. He has a 18x36 cage with plastic leaves and vines. He also has a water fountain that he likes to drink from. He has a UVA and B lamp over his cage that is turned off at 3:20pm and turns on at 7:30 or 7:45am. The room does have air conditioning, but the cage is around 80-85 degrees when the lights are on and with the air conditioner and lights off, 60-68 degrees(Usually at night). He looks fine and is eating regularly. We do leave him over the weekend at school, but we make sure that his cage is clean. His water runs 24/7, but the lights are off during this time. I feel that he is stressed though, people seem to never listen or care that he gets stressed when you take him out too much. He is taken out at least 3 times a day and I am trying to stop them. His poops are turning a light orange, so he is dehydrated. He drinks a lot of water and I spray him with water at least twice a day! What can I do?

Im glad you're trying to get this chameleon proper care! Good on you!

What is he fed and how are the insects looked after?
Are supplements used on the insects?
The fountain if not kept very very clean can harbor bacteria and could be making him sick.
Is there a dripper being used?

Volunteer to take him home and give him the care he needs it’s cruel to just forget about him on weekends and after 3.. I would talk them into letting you take him just state all the things that he needs that he’s not getting. or at least try to talk them into getting timers and things that will make that situation work. Is he getting the calcium and vitamins he needs at least? If so what is the feeding schedule?

He eats gutted crickets and seems to only like those. I tried silk and meal worms and both were a no go. The crickets are kept in a insect box with Fluker's Cricket food and it's original cardboard egg holders. The fountain is really hard to take care of and I worry that if I move it around too much it will break. I clean it out every two weeks, but I know it needs to be more, I'm just too worried I'll break it. Some times I will find dead crickets at the bottom. How often should I clean the fountain?

Volunteer to take him home and give him the care he needs it’s cruel to just forget about him on weekends and after 3.. I would talk them into letting you take him just state all the things that he needs that he’s not getting. or at least try to talk them into getting timers and things that will make that situation work. Is he getting the calcium and vitamins he needs at least? If so what is the feeding schedule?
I can't take him home, I've already asked. My parents and the school refused. I did buy a timer and it broke! I got really upset, but have yet to replace it. He is getting calcium and vitamins, but I was wondering on pointers on how to give him more. He eats the calcium once a month, but I don't know how to make the process easier, he doesn't seem to like it...

How does he get light over the weekend when everyone is not at school?
Is it possible to have the lights set on a timer?
He eats gutted crickets and seems to only like those. I tried silk and meal worms and both were a no go. The crickets are kept in a insect box with Fluker's Cricket food and it's original cardboard egg holders. The fountain is really hard to take care of and I worry that if I move it around too much it will break. I clean it out every two weeks, but I know it needs to be more, I'm just too worried I'll break it. Some times I will find dead crickets at the bottom. How often should I clean the fountain?

How does he get light over the weekend when everyone is not at school?
Is it possible to have the lights set on a timer?
I did have a timer, but it broke, I really need to replace it, but I can't afford to without borrowing money. There is light that comes from the window and the temperature is really high over here because it is Hawaii.

I think you would be better off using a dripper during the week so he gets clean water with out bacteria and dead bugs all week long. Use the fountain over the weekends.
The idea of taking him home on the weekend may add extra stress every time he is moved. Take that into consideration if you decide to do it. If he seems worse when moved then he might be better of in a single location.

I think you would be better off using a dripper during the week so he gets clean water with out bacteria and dead bugs all week long. Use the fountain over the weekends.
The idea of taking him home on the weekend may add extra stress every time he is moved. Take that into consideration if you decide to do it. If he seems worse when moved then he might be better of in a single location.
Actually, I knew not to take him from school to home every weekend. But I would love some pointers on the dripper. I tried it before, but it flooded and got all over the floor.

That fountain could be a breeding area for bacteria causing the orange poop. You should ask to take the chameleon with you to give it to the proper home and emphasis it is not getting the proper health. He need lighting and shouldn't just be forgotten over the weekend.

Let the dripper drip thru the cage into a screen covered deli cup then you can just empty that daily. You could even put the plant on that. You could also try a drainage system that collects water underneath the cage.

That fountain could be a breeding area for bacteria causing the orange poop. You should ask to take the chameleon with you to give it to the proper home and emphasis it is not getting the proper health. He need lighting and shouldn't just be forgotten over the weekend.
I know. I tried to talk to the school, but they refused to do so. I will definitely try to clean the fountain every day.

Back
Top Bottom