Need Help with cage

Rangothecham9

So im trying to get a new and bigger cage set up for my veiled. Im giving him wayyy more space than needed and im really excited about my plan for his cage but I got one major issue.
so background, the cage is actually a curio cabinet that I took out the glass and replaced it with screen, and I cut out the top so I can put light fixtures in there.
the cabinet is made of wood and im not sure what to put on there to prevent it from creating mold and rotting.
Theres so much water and humidity that the cabinet is not going to hold up for as long as I hoped.
towels and trash bags and a water catcher at the bottom isn’t enough.
Plastikote (i think thats how to spell it) is no longer available and wasnt sure if anyone else had another suggestion.
thank you!

So im trying to get a new and bigger cage set up for my veiled. Im giving him wayyy more space than needed and im really excited about my plan for his cage but I got one major issue.
so background, the cage is actually a curio cabinet that I took out the glass and replaced it with screen, and I cut out the top so I can put light fixtures in there.
the cabinet is made of wood and im not sure what to put on there to prevent it from creating mold and rotting.
Theres so much water and humidity that the cabinet is not going to hold up for as long as I hoped.
towels and trash bags and a water catcher at the bottom isn’t enough.
Plastikote (i think thats how to spell it) is no longer available and wasnt sure if anyone else had another suggestion.
thank you!
That is one of the challenges of converting furniture.

Flex Seal Liquid is one option—I just ordered some for a tortoise table I'm building from scratch.
Colors are limited (black, white, gray, clear). This will be my first experience with this product.

If you could post a pic of the cabinet, I might have some other ideas—no promises.

wow so many great suggestions, I have been looking into them. I really want to go with the drylok but there is no black option and my cabinet is black. Guess my next bet is flex seal... going to try and buy it today
I will definitely post pictures, before and after.
It measures 58in tall and 20inches wide.

Thanks again to everyone! very thankful for this forum.

wow so many great suggestions, I have been looking into them. I really want to go with the drylok but there is no black option and my cabinet is black. Guess my next bet is flex seal... going to try and buy it today

You can tint the drylok with paint. Like I said, send me a message if you need help! I just finished this build and it was a whole ass process.

You could order a 24 x 24 x 38 screened enclosure for 40-50 bucks off alibaba.com
You’ll spend that much easily on ur conversion.

Whoa!... Slow your roll, dude! I may have some other options for you, but I need to see the "before" so I know what you're dealing with and if it's feasible. Not my first rodeo. :) 🤓

You could order a 24 x 24 x 38 screened enclosure for 40-50 bucks off alibaba.com
You’ll spend that much easily on ur conversion.
I'm sure this person is aware of of those options, a homemade build will be way more than that, but the purpose of this conversion is for personal preference, not the most convenient. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom