Need Help Finding Screen

m1ndless

I went to several hardware stores today, and had no luck find a decent metal screen for my enclosure.

Any suggestions?

Did you try Home Depot, Lowes or ACE hardware?

I went to HD, they only had big rolls of fiberglass screen for $150 a roll.

Lowes had nothing but window screen, would that work? The visibility looks crappy though, but I am making the front out of clear plexiglass with air holes for better visibility, so the dies do not really matter.

I went to several hardware stores today, and had no luck find a decent metal screen for my enclosure.

Any suggestions?

I use window screen you can get black or silver in small rolls at HD. I used silver. If you'd like to see photos of the making of my cage click on My Profile and veiw my album.

I use window screen you can get black or silver in small rolls at HD. I used silver. If you'd like to see photos of the making of my cage click on My Profile and veiw my album.

Can crickets eat through the screen? How much was the screen?

Window screen comes in fiberglass or metal. You would want to use the metal screen. The metal comes in all different sizes. Anytime I have gone to Home Depot or Lowes, they always have it. Ask when you get there, but a lot of times it is located close to where the windows and screen doors are.

No crickets do not eat through the screen. I use fiberglass window screen....metal is harder to work with. It comes 48 inches was one roll and 36 inch was the other either was less than $20.00

try lowes i bought some screen they had on clearance seems like HD isnt stocking the aluminum screen around here anymore. its usually hidden in the back but i got 100' x 36" for ~$30 get the aluminum stuff if you have free range bugs they will eventually make holes in the fiberglass stuff.

Crickets can eat fiber glass screen. I learned that the hard way. I put some fiber glass screen on one of my cricket bins once because I had some lying around, then I noticed crickets all over the place. There were multiple holes chewed in it.

look in your local or yahoo yellow pages for a place that does screen doors/windows. If they cant help you, give up. I've never had trouble finding it at a bigbox hardware store though.
(but as I've said it before, HOME DEPOT SUCKS!!!!)

Crickets can eat fiber glass screen. I learned that the hard way. I put some fiber glass screen on one of my cricket bins once because I had some lying around, then I noticed crickets all over the place. There were multiple holes chewed in it.

I've never used fiberglass on a cricket cage but have built about 10 of these cages over the past 4 or 5 years and never had a problem using it for the chams. I do not leave crickets in the cages tho for long periods of time. Just for cham feedings.

Thanks for the tips guys, I am just going to check another HD or two until I find something.

36" X 100' would work, but I would have a load of excess screen.

So should I just staple the screen to the wood or what's the best way to prevent crickets escaping? I am using a feeder at the top for my crix, one of the milk jug ones a lot of people use, but they can jump out of that I think?

Thanks for the tips guys, I am just going to check another HD or two until I find something.

36" X 100' would work, but I would have a load of excess screen.

So should I just staple the screen to the wood or what's the best way to prevent crickets escaping? I am using a feeder at the top for my crix, one of the milk jug ones a lot of people use, but they can jump out of that I think?

OHHHHH, your using a wood frame and not the standard aluminum screen frame. In that case, I would suggest using 1/8" hardware cloth (its a 1/8" metal screen). if you find the post I made of my cage, you can see what it looks like.

Lowe's should have it. Get the aluminum kind as they said, bugs can chew fiberglass. The visibility isn't phenomenal thought.

I'm going to use a different material for my next cage. Maybe mesh with 1/8" hole pattern (bigger holes in mesh = easier on chams nails, and may even allow the toes to grip).

Back
Top Bottom