Need grasshoppers

For my veiled chameleon averaging around 4-6 months
What size would be preferred

I would go with small to start and go from there, maybe medium depending on chams size. Do you know your chams weight? 4-6 months can still be rather small.

Grasshoppers are great feeders but they’re a big meal and strong grips - dont want to feed too large.

I’ve order from both Khai and @SauceGandhi whose website was linked above and they’ve both been great!

I have no idea. I’ve never fed grasshoppers and the last time I saw one it was a massive creature of nightmare stuff. @SauceGandhi could tell you better.
Veiled Chams tend to swallow their feeders while Panthers chomp, chew their feeders. Initally, would feed small grasshoppers. Because Veileds swallow feeders, I would remove the tibia. The tibia - kicker portion -is all bone and has barbs on the back. The femur has quite a bit of muscle.

Veiled Chams tend to swallow their feeders while Panthers chomp, chew their feeders. Initally, would feed small grasshoppers. Because Veileds swallow feeders, I would remove the tibia. The tibia - kicker portion -is all bone and has barbs on the back. The femur has quite a bit of muscle.
I'm working on a few species with much less tibia barb since ideally you want to be eating the whole grasshopper. Up to 7 species available by this summer, as all the new stuff begins to hatch. Exciting times :)
20200720_211444.jpg

I'm working on a few species with much less tibia barb since ideally you want to be eating the whole grasshopper. Up to 7 species available by this summer, as all the new stuff begins to hatch. Exciting times :)
View attachment 349324
That's really good.👍🏽I feed my Panther the whole grasshopper. For Carmelo (veiled) it depends. He can handle a whole medium gray bird. He really prefers gray birds and only eats Spotted Birds after they have been in his cage a few days. I wonder if the Spotted Birds color or exoskeleton is the difference. It's exoskeleton and tibia seems to be harder.

Last edited:
That's really good.👍🏽I feed my Panther the whole grasshopper. For Carmelo (veiled) it depends. He can handle a whole medium gray bird. He really prefers gray birds and only eats Spotted Birds after they have been in his cage a few days. I wonder if the Spotted Birds color or exoskeleton is the difference. It's exoskeleton and tibia seems to be harder.
Not sure... in general, I've gotten the most requests for spotted bird grasshoppers, but every chameleon can be different. I do have other types of spotted bird hoppers that are softer hatching in a few months too. But then again, it's probably a good idea to get a variety of exoskeleton consistencies. In the wild, they'll be eating 5-10 species of grasshoppers and even more in some cases.

View attachment 349324
Is that the
Not sure... in general, I've gotten the most requests for spotted bird grasshoppers, but every chameleon can be different. I do have other types of spotted bird hoppers that are softer hatching in a few months too. But then again, it's probably a good idea to get a variety of exoskeleton consistencies. In the wild, they'll be eating 5-10 species of grasshoppers and even more in some cases.
Good points, variety is very important. I'm looking forward to trying the other species for my guys. I fed Carmelo a winged adult and he almost choked from the wings. So I just remove the wings fir him. On the other hand, Bolt devours huge winged adult females with no issues. I call it the Panther Chomp.

Looking forward into placing my very first order with you saucegandhi sometime next week…..for a 7 month veiled chameleon I believe they said to start of with the mediums
Any suggestions?
I just got an order from him last week. I got the the smallest hoppers I could purchase, that gives time for them to grow still and not get too big for your cham.

Back
Top Bottom