Need beardie advice please

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
So, Spike is brumating now but I’ve got some concern. I’ve posted on the beardie forum but not going to hold my breath for a reply.
Early last week he slept all day in his hide. Next morning was awake so I took him out for some sun and he later ate some silkworms and a superworm or two.. He hadn’t pooped in a couple of days (he usually goes daily) and he had raspberry stains on his feet, so I gave him a bath. No poops though. Next morning he was again sleeping in his hide and has stayed there now for going on 4 days. I’m checking him and he’s alive and seems ok.
The more I learn about brumation though the more I’m reading that their bellies need to be empty or food can rot and possibly kill them. Should I disturb Spike and try a warm bath to get him to poop?

What are his cage temperatures?
Are you trying to brumate him?
No, not trying to brumate him and it caught me by surprise. His basking temps have been held steady around 100* - 105*. He tramples the probe, so I have only been checking once a week. However, since I replaced my ancient central ac, the new unit is somehow keeping the house colder and dryer. The house temp is still 74*, but it’s a much colder feeling 74*. Since the new ac, one of my leopard geckos also entered some sort of brumation for a few weeks too.

The more I learn about brumation though the more I’m reading that their bellies need to be empty or food can rot and possibly kill them. Should I disturb Spike and try a warm bath to get him to poop?
I'm not sure I buy into that notion, but TBH I haven't delved into it, and so far, the sources I've seen mention it are not what I would consider authoritative. Nevertheless, I'm going to try to keep an open mind until I learn more. ;)

Dragons Spike's age should have a movement at least once per week, but some constipated or impacted dragons can go for several weeks without giving a ?. Obviously, this wouldn't be good (and can be painful); the point is he's not there yet. (Stinkeye was into week 2 when I became concerned, and everything came out alright. ?)

What I did find on google scholar said, "They will .... refuse food as they start to brumate."
Since Spike ostensibly ate of his own volition, I'm inclined to think he's fine.

That said, for peace of mind... I'd stop feeding him daily (offer food once per week during brumation), and when he comes out of it on his own (I wouldn't wake him), I'd give him a quick (10-20 minutes) warm bath (90-95F) with a gentle belly massage just North of his cloaca. Oh, and stand back. ?

He’s always been a good pooper. Since he went into his hide I’ve only gone in to check and make sure he’s alive and to dispatch the crickets he never hunted down before they bit him. If he brumates for just a couple of weeks, I’m sure all will be okay. If it’s months, that‘s where my concern is for the bugs he hadn’t pooped out rotting inside of him. Hoping he won’t stay asleep for very long. In the meantime I need to figure out how to better adjust and maintain his ambient temps to counteract the new and efficient central ac.

He’s always been a good pooper.
Stinkeye too—and how! ???
In a way, we may be learning our way through this together, as (IIRC) Spike & Stinky are close to the same age.

In the meantime I need to figure out how to better adjust and maintain his ambient temps to counteract the new and efficient central ac.
The good news here is that—unlike a ventilated cham enclosure—a beardie box is a more separated & distinct microcosm from the rest of the house (i.e. I think it's easier to control the environment than with a cham cage.)

My $.02: Since you just got the new AC, it doesn't make much sense to try an replicate conditions under the old one, so once you get familiar with the system, adjust or set it up for your family's comfort, and it shouldn't be difficult to (re)balance Spike's home—beardies are a lot easier and more forgiving than chams in that respect. ;)

Yes, I think our guys are around the same age. Spike was hatched around mid December.
Spike’s current tank, although it’s glass it does have very generous ventilation which can let all the cold air seep in. I’m looking into getting a thermostat to better maintain his temps but not sure what type of light or heat fixture would work best with one. I worked the weekend so haven’t had much time to look into it fully.
~sigh~ just 4 more months until stepdaughter moves out and I get my reptile room back. Will be able to better control the room temp per the lizard’s needs.
As already said, I hope he doesn’t sleep for too long. Besides my concern for possibly rotting feeders in his stomach, I am really missing my crazy little guy. :confused:

My mistake—Stinkeye hatched mid Sept., so he's about 3 mo. older.

Stinkeye's enclosure is was heated entirely by a 75W basking lamp; excess heat is drawn off via a muffin fan, which in turn draws fresh air from the house. The fan is thermostatically controlled, so he's at a constant gravity gradient of 79-90F.

The 75W blew this morning, and I had to replace it w/ a 65W. I hope that'll be enough—still measuring.

I don't understand the rotting thing. His digestive system hasn't stopped; anything in his stomach would be gone within hours, so more likely, he's got poop ready to go in his lower intestine. I just gave Stinkeye a warm bath cuz he hasn't gone since last week. He still hasn't, so I'll just try again every day until he does... :)

My mistake—Stinkeye hatched mid Sept., so he's about 3 mo. older.

Stinkeye's enclosure is was heated entirely by a 75W basking lamp; excess heat is drawn off via a muffin fan, which in turn draws fresh air from the house. The fan is thermostatically controlled, so he's at a constant gravity gradient of 79-90F.

The 75W blew this morning, and I had to replace it w/ a 65W. I hope that'll be enough—still measuring.

I don't understand the rotting thing. His digestive system hasn't stopped; anything in his stomach would be gone within hours, so more likely, he's got poop ready to go in his lower intestine. I just gave Stinkeye a warm bath cuz he hasn't gone since last week. He still hasn't, so I'll just try again every day until he does... :)
Oh...so Stinkeye has his first hatch-day coming up. :) ???
Hoping your temps stay stable and your guy doesn’t decide brumation is for him too.
Actually it’s said that their metabolism slows way down or stops, so digestion does stop too.
I emailed Herpstat to ask what type of heat source works best with their thermostat and they sent me info on radiant heat panels, which of course I’ve never heard of and have no idea what they are (and wonder how expensive they are). I’ll ask if anyone on the forum has any input about them.

So...I was annoying my poor chameleons by looking at them and telling them how beautiful they are when I heard a noise. My baby Spike woke up and climbed his basking tower! Yay! ?? I moved his basking light so it’s directly above where he is to warm him up better. Once he’s more awake and warmer, then it’s bath time.
It’s only been a handful of days, but I’ve missed him so very much. Just praying to the reptile Gods that he stays awake and doesn’t go back to sleep.

Oh...so Stinkeye has his first hatch-day coming up. :) ???
Hoping your temps stay stable and your guy doesn’t decide brumation is for him too.
Actually it’s said that their metabolism slows way down or stops, so digestion does stop too.
I emailed Herpstat to ask what type of heat source works best with their thermostat and they sent me info on radiant heat panels, which of course I’ve never heard of and have no idea what they are (and wonder how expensive they are). I’ll ask if anyone on the forum has any input about them.
I suppose... but I have no idea the exact date.
We just cut his lights back to 12/12, so if he brumates, he brumates; we think he may be thinking about it—time will tell.

Yes, digestion slows down—as do other metabolics—but it doesn't stop entirely.

Temps are stable; the new bulb is maintaining the same low 90s to mid 100s basking zone as the former bulb, and the fan kicks on every once in a while. ?

Have you lowered Spike's temps or something? If maintained normally, he should be able to pass whatever he's still holding on to.

"radiant heat panels" = fancy name for a (over-priced?) heating pad. ;)

My baby Spike woke up and climbed his basking tower! Yay! ?? I moved his basking light so it’s directly above where he is to warm him up better. Once he’s more awake and warmer, then it’s bath time.
See? If he's basking, he's digesting. They're going to be the cleanest dragons in town... :ROFLMAO:

I suppose... but I have no idea the exact date.
We just cut his lights back to 12/12, so if he brumates, he brumates; we think he may be thinking about it—time will tell.

Yes, digestion slows down—as do other metabolics—but it doesn't stop entirely.

Temps are stable; the new bulb is maintaining the same low 90s to mid 100s basking zone as the former bulb, and the fan kicks on every once in a while. ?

Have you lowered Spike's temps or something? If maintained normally, he should be able to pass whatever he's still holding on to.

"radiant heat panels" = fancy name for a (over-priced?) heating pad. ;)
I got some great help on what to use with a Herpstat from Beman.
Besides the new ac unit, I did just realize that a few weeks ago I got rid of his basking hammock thing and put in the giant pyramid hide thing. The hammock gave him the opportunity to choose his basking temp and I figured the pyramid would too, but I think it may be an inch lower than where I had the high part of the hammock. I’ll have to suspend the hammock again to give him more options.
Gee! Amazing how these creatures freak us out, make us worry so much and totally capture our hearts.

See? If he's basking, he's digesting. They're going to be the cleanest dragons in town... :ROFLMAO:
Yup! Using the big bath tub today for his spa treatment. ?

Gad dang it! He went back to sleep! He was awake and kind of grumpy this morning, ate a few silkies and was basking. While I was out happily buying fresh salad fixings for my spiky baby, he took a massive poo. I gave him his salad, he looked at it and went back in his hide and went to sleep. Well, at least he pooped. Guess the roaches will be eating very well this week. ?‍♀️

Gad dang it! He went back to sleep! He was awake and kind of grumpy this morning, ate a few silkies and was basking. While I was out happily buying fresh salad fixings for my spiky baby, he took a massive poo. I gave him his salad, he looked at it and went back in his hide and went to sleep. Well, at least he pooped. Guess the roaches will be eating very well this week. ?‍♀️

Guess he woke up to get that poo out!

Back
Top Bottom