Need Answers to Pygmy Egg Mystery....

chamgal

My female pygmy chameleon passed away about a month ago. When I removed her from the tank...it looked like she had literally blown a hole out of her back end. I was told that this may have been due to egg impaction.

Does this mean that she has laid eggs somewhere in the tank? Should I look for them? How deep do they lay them?

I also read a post on this forum about someone removing the eggs from the deceased chameleon...was I supposed to look for eggs? Would they have been noticeable?

I hope that I didn't bury the eggs with the mom. Anyone experience this before or have any advice they can offer?

Anything is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you still had the female you could have checked to see if she still had eggs. How long have you had her? was she WC? Do you have more than one in the enclosure? If she was CB and hasnt mated before then I wouldnt worry about checking for eggs. If you wanted to you can just leave any eggs in the tank and let them hatch on their own... youll be surprised when you see littleones walking around. You could also go searching for them but I would think that they would have been in there for a while already.

I had the female and a male (bought together) for a couple of months before she died. I believe that they were CB but I never actually saw "mating" that I was aware of. Once or twice they climbed on top of each other on the same branch..but it usually just looked really akward! I never looked inside her for eggs...I just saw the hole at her backend. We buried her in the garden. Would the eggs hatch out there? Should I dig her up and check?? THat seems kindof morbid to me...but I don't want little ones to hatch underground outside!!

Thanks for the response btw.

Back
Top Bottom