Need An Incubator

PrettyInInk87

So, I know Crested Gecko eggs do not need to be incubated as they can be hatched at room temps. I TOTALLY forgot about needing one for my Tarantulas! I have someone who has both a MM G. rosea and MM A. versicolor for both my girls. I am broke (of course) and am not able to get an incubator... Anyone have an extra one or one not being used at the moment I can borrow? I would be willing to give you a few slings from my sacs. I am in San Diego and would be more than happy to pick it up. :D

You can make one with a foot of heat tape if you can't find one for free. You might even be able to find a heating pad/ heat tape on craigslist!

My home-made incubator consists of a human heating pad (the kind with 3 settings that don't shut off automatically and not come back on). I built a wooden frame of 2" x 2" wood to fit over the heating pad and screened the top of the frame so I could set the containers of eggs on top of that. The frame can be raised to get the temperature right by using shims. I put the whole setup in a dark place.

I have hatched loads of chameleons, coneheads, water dragons, turtles, lots of different geckos, etc. using this setup.

I hatched leo eggs in this one. All you need is a styrofoam cooler, the glass from a pic frame, and a lamp kit from lowes http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=sim&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
incubator002.jpg

Sometimes you can get coolers that fish arrive in at pet stores free of charge. They are about the size and style of the one pictured above. A heating pad placed beneath and something inside the cooler to elevate the eggs from sitting directly on the bottom can work as a cheap last resort. You'd want to monitor the temp inside for a day or two of course before you put anything inside to make sure it's not too hot. I just built a 18"x18"x36" wooden incubator lined with styrofoam sheets inside. I went to a farm supply store and bought a thermostat switch for bird incubators for about $25, and it works really well. It only flucuates a couple of tenths of a degree. Styrofoam is a good insulator, and a cooler would suffice what your needing as far as capacity.

IMHO...its important to have a couple of inches of space between the heating pad and the eggs.....or from any heat source and the eggs for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom